Frank Van Alstine on the Sapphire XLs

Mike Dzurko

« on: 28 Dec 2005, 07:38 pm »
Noted electronics designer and industry veteran Frank Van Alstine has recently been listening to a set of Sapphire XLs. He sums up his impressions by saying:

" I consider the ACI Sapphire XL to be a rare high quality value. Highly recommended."

Read more here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=23787&start=160

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2005, 04:18 pm »
I am saying a Congradulation's to both ACI and AVA. It's nice to hear that Frank has now had the opportunity to hear ACI products with his products. I have known this for years that they were meant for each other. Two very high quality companys making very high quality product's. You can't go wrong!  

Any other ACI and AVA owners out there?

Too bad ACI is from cheese head country, I meant devoured cheese head country! :P

G.Michael

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2005, 04:40 pm »
I haven't heard the Sapphire XL, but I owned a pair of Biro L/1s... The Sapphire XL being in the same league as the Biro--That's high praise indeed!

Harry P

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2005, 05:15 pm »
Van Alstine builds some of the finest sounding electronics around and sells at a rock bottom price. ACI builds some of the finest sounding speakers around and sells at a rock bottom price. A marriage made in heaven :lol:

NealH

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2005, 05:57 pm »
Indeed, that's nice praise from Van Alstine.  I would also like to know your response to his wishes for a reasonably priced full range speaker.  Full range meaning 30-32Hz.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2005, 09:51 pm »
Quote from: rnhood
Indeed, that's nice praise from Van Alstine.  I would also like to know your response to his wishes for a reasonably priced full range speaker.  Full range meaning 30-32Hz.

Thanks for bringing this up, it is a topic that is the subject of a lot of internal discussion as well. And, interestingly, several reviewers have asked for essentially the same thing. Sapphire XL performance with full range bass performance. Why? So they can evaluate power amps for their bass quality.

For years our greatest sales success has been with monitors and subs . . . and I happen to generally prefer the advantages of mating active subs with monitors vs. running large, full range systems. I have always been a die-hard two channel guy . . .  but a LOT more speakers are sold for HT than two-channel. By focusing on monitors and subs we can satisfy audiophiles AND the HT market.

The Panorama is a BIG monitor, and gets to the low 40s, upper 30s in-room with authority. To get sub 30 to me with the requisite dynamic capability will probably mean a fairly large floorstanding speaker. Over the years we've had number of such models. Will we do one again? Maybe, but not until we catch up with all that we have going on right now.

Tayler

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2006, 07:21 pm »
Frank's word carries weight with me. Congratulations ACI on what is becoming one of the most talked about monitors out there! I hope to get a pair on order as soon as I see where my income tax situation for this year is. Don't go raising prices just because everyone loves them  :roll: