Poll

Are you going to attend the ASKAphile Sydney meeting on 29 May 03?

Yes
13 (76.5%)
(Ignore this)
4 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: 1 May 2003, 11:24 am

AKSAphile Meeting Attendance: Please sign

Felipe

« Reply #40 on: 20 May 2003, 04:42 pm »
Hello,

Well, seems that the meeting is being well organized, i am just very unhappy not to be there.  :(

But about the "video documentation" i can give a few hints as this is my area of work for the past months.

Hugh, if you want the best quality and have litle work ,then you got to use a MiniDv camera (digital camera). You can record the event on tape, and then transfer it to a PC, or just plug it to the PC while the event is going on , recording directly in the PC in DV format. (tons of gigs !! )

Either way , use the Adobe Premiere 6.5 to do the job. Its a great tool.
I can give hints if you want. Then using the same program you can convert the media into ANY format you want : MPEG2,MPEG4,Divx,etc...
Then Nimo codec pack have almost all codecs available.
And you can put the sound in mp3.

If you want the best...put in in DivX. But DivX is not capable of streaming.
If streaming is a must...then just save it in WMA direcly without passing it
through the Adobe Premiere.
In every case you will end up with a lot more than 100Mgs....make more like 600Mgs for an hour of movie...

My advice is to save it on tape (digital tape with Dv camera) , pass to PC with Adobe, convert in DivX and burn it on CD.
You can either share the media online...or you can offer it by mail.

100 mgs of movie...is not a lot of time...if i could only make a trip to Australia... :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #41 on: 20 May 2003, 09:09 pm »
Hi Hugh

The stuff I will bring:
Rega Planet 2000 CD player
GK-1 (modded)
AKSA 55 (modded)
Diatone full range TQWT speakers
2 Dekstand tables
Corian shelves
Half inflated innertubes
CAT 5 interconnects and speaker leads
Several cd's on both black and original.
MC step up (battery powered JFET - prehensile design)

Vic is bringing a powered sub woofer (Diatones don't go very low).

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #42 on: 20 May 2003, 10:12 pm »
Hi Hugh

I forgot to mention that I will bring my DIY power cables.

gpkoo

« Reply #43 on: 21 May 2003, 05:22 am »
Hi all,

I just happened to come upon this forum, and would you believe it, an AKSA meeting in Sydney and close to home as well! (I live in Chatswood).

I'll be there on Thursday and I'm looking forward to finally getting a chance to have a look and a listen.

The only things I can offer to bring along that may be of interest is a Sony XB-940 cd/sacd player with the Allen Wright VSE level two modifications and my PSC audio power cable.

Anyway, see you all on Thursday.

AKSA

« Reply #44 on: 21 May 2003, 05:30 am »
Hi GPK,

Thank you for your post;  look forward to meeting you and listening to your gear!

Cheers,

Hugh

AKSA

« Reply #45 on: 21 May 2003, 05:35 am »
Felipe,

Thank you very much for your advice.

Given our internet connection is likely to be difficult because of the integrated firewall, and given that I don't have a lot of hardware, it might just be best to use a Video camera, then burn it to CD, and offer the CD to anyone who wants one!

I could probably burn ten or so of them on my PC, and just mail them out.

I could put highlights and still photos on the website, a bit like Dr Bottlehead's VSAC meets.

Owzat?  A fair compromise?  I'd probably have to charge about $US15 for the CD including mailing.......

How do folks feel about this?  OK, or not OK?

Cheers,

Hugh

Aragorn

« Reply #46 on: 21 May 2003, 06:09 am »
Hi there

A fun board to visit-thanks to all.

I would like to come to the meeting- I'm interested in  building a super-preamp and/or speakers at some stage.

I can bring DV camera and an Ayre K-1 preamp, plus a PS powerplant. Is it too much too ask for a guarentee of some sort that they won't get ripped off while I'm there?

AKSA

« Reply #47 on: 21 May 2003, 07:01 am »
Hi Aragorn,

My thanks for your offer!  I admit the guarantee thing hasn't come up until now!

If the camera is set up, say on a tripod, it will be in full view of me, and Ben, and Michael and maybe Phillip as well.  I can't answer for them, but if you put a name tag on it I don't believe anyone will touch it!

We are an honest bunch, and appreciate your input.  See you there....

Cheers,

Hugh

Grumpy_Git

« Reply #48 on: 21 May 2003, 05:58 pm »
Hugh, add a copy of your white paper to the cd and im sure everyone will want a copy.afterall its not the hardest thing in the world to copy a few files to cd. hell,ill even copy a few for you if you need a hand for a free copy minus delivery  :P

karthikn

« Reply #49 on: 21 May 2003, 11:53 pm »
Hugh, on the same lines as Grumpy_Git, at actual cost I can make copies of the CD and mail it to folks who request it in the Continental US.  I am guessing, but lets see, it will cost half of what you have listed for mailing them individually, I think.  I buy blank CDRs for personal use at $0.20-$0.30 each.  I would need to buy a media mailer at the post office and there's postage.  My wife would be a wee bit upset as I have been procrastinating on making copies of her favourite CDs.  But she will calm down if I do this along with her copies    :mrgreen:

If you are interested, let me know and I will calculate the exact cost so that you can publish it.  One more thing:  I am moving out in September.  Therefore, someone else has to do this beyond that over here.

BTW, multimedia on a CD made me think that you could have a step-by-step AKSA building video tutorial on a CD which you can make available to builders at an additional cost.  You might have to change your shipping package though.  Just a thought.

AKSA

« Reply #50 on: 22 May 2003, 12:39 am »
Hi Karthikn,

Thanks very much for your suggestion......  ah, wonderful ideas, how to convert them to reality?

I am most touched by your willingness to copy the CD and mail it out - thank you very sincerely!  Once again, I'm bowled over by all the help and kindness I am receiving.   :thankyou:

One thing is certain - I need a digital video camera!  I have in the past done something like this - rather badly, I'm no Richard Gere - and there is no reason why a video of how to make an amplifier can't be relatively easily done.

Perhaps you'd better do those CDs for your wife now before she gets upset, Karthikn?    :argue:   Then you might have approval to indulge me??   :rotflmao:

You are dead right about the packaging.  I'd have to change it to accommodate a CD, no doubt about it.  But, consider, the CD would need to be very carefully composed to protect my IP - this is the reason I don't release digital copies of the documentation.

Hmmmm.  Thinking on this one.......  :?

Cheers,

Hugh

« Reply #51 on: 22 May 2003, 04:51 am »
hi hugh,
i'd be very much interested in getting a copy from you! :) should be easy to pay u with online banking :)

Quote from: AKSA
Felipe,

<snipped>

Owzat?  A fair compromise?  I'd proba ...

orac

• http://orac.tripod.com/
« Reply #52 on: 22 May 2003, 08:20 am »
This is the Friend of Ben Williams posting to declare my attendance.
 8)
I'll have to clean my ears again (more info not required) :wink:

AKSA

« Reply #53 on: 22 May 2003, 10:26 am »
HI Corley,

Thank you for your post;  we will welcome you at our little AKSAfest!

Who knows, you might even find an 'organic flow of shared experience' at Frenchs Forest!!     :angel:

I do love the Orac moniker, now wasn't that the computer in Blake 7, one of my favourite shows in the eighties!

Can you relay your pickup address to Ben, and it might even be possible to get you on the day around 2pm. That too early?

Looking forward to meeting with you.  I warn you, I will have many questions about Linux;  I'm fed up with MS OSs.

Cheers,

Hugh

AKSA

« Reply #54 on: 23 May 2003, 02:50 am »
AKSAfest 29th May at Frenchs Forest, NSW

Here's a further update of our attendance roll:

Phil Palangas   -   GK-1, AKSA55WN.
Mark Whitaker  -   GK-1E with phono
Larry (Lei) Ye  -   GK-1 with DACT switched attenuator
Malcolm and Toni Fear  -   GK-1 (highly modded) with AKSA55N (likewise) and Diatone speakers
John Reekie
Bart Shepherd
Tim St Ruth
Greg Erskine  -  Anything you'd like to bring, Greg?
Paul Bishop   -   Multiamp 55W AKSA Nirvana;  active crossover!
Ross Yannis  
Jay M.
Shayne Burberry   -   AKSA 100W Nirvana
Clive Hilliker -  1999 Aspen Lifeforce - SS amp with integrated triode!
Paul Bertolino    -    AKSonics
Tony Osborn  -   another Lifeforce owner!
Vic Sergie   -  Vic, are you bringing the subs, or the 55W?
Corey Kinnane   -  Our Unix man........!
Greg Borrowman -   Editor:  Australian Hifi  :thumb:
Newbie (could we have a name please?)
Aragorn  (Can you please bring a digital video camera??)

Hugh Dean, Ben Williams, Michael Hollmann -  Hugh presents at 7:30pm, Ben at 8pm.  I will be talking about Aspen, beginnings, background, early work, evolution of the AKSA, GK-1, strategy, future, and Ben will concentrate on digital audio, with particular emphasis on DAC design.  Ben is just now finishing a PhD in psychoacoustics, and holds a Computer Science degree.  I cannot speak highly enough of his extraordinary abilities.

This is the known list; 24 so far!  

I will be bringing a super-tricked AKSA as well as some very interesting prototype pcbs.  I'll also bring along a quality S3800 Fuji digital camera, so get out ya makeup!!  I'd like to offer up the AKSA for serious listening tests.  I've just finished building it for a very old friend who lives in Canberra, and believe it may be the best yet.  Of course, it goes without saying that the changes will filter through to my commercial products...... :mrgreen:

If I have missed anyone, please let us know on this forum, and the list can be progressively revised.  If three quarters of these folks bring along a prospective AKSA customer for a good listen, we will have 42 people!!

I should emphasize that while it's nice to know how many are coming, there is room for all if you decide to attend at the last minute.  Believe me, this will be interesting.......  I'm only sorry others in the US, Europe and Asia/NZ cannot attend (not to mention Seano from Burke!) - this will be a return to the podium for me after many years, and I greatly look forward to it!

Cheers,

Hugh

« Reply #55 on: 23 May 2003, 03:37 am »
hi hugh, i think u've made the mistake of putting my name in the list as i won't be going. but i'd very much like to have a copy of the recording! :)

Greg Erskine

« Reply #56 on: 23 May 2003, 05:06 am »
Hi Hugh,

Greg Erskine - Anything you'd like to bring, Greg?

I could only offer to bring a standard AKSA 55 and TLP, but we seem to have enough amps and pre-amps. If you need mine let me know as it wouldn't be a problem. I'll throw it in the car anyway. The rest of my equipment is not really worth talking about.

I don't have a digital video or camera.

Also, my friends don't have any appreciation of HIFI equipment preferring those mini LOFI things, so I won't be bringing them along.

I can offer to get there early and help with setting up, making coffee, any menial task, just let me know.

Thanks
Greg

AKSA

« Reply #57 on: 23 May 2003, 06:08 am »
Hi Greg,

You'd be very welcome to bring along your TLP, you are right, we have quite a few amps!

Don't worry about the menial tasks - that's my job!  But thank you very much, and you are quite welcome to get there early, no problem at all!

To all coming along  -  please be sure to bring along:

1.  Speaker cables
2.  Interconnects
3.  Power board
4.  Extension cord.

You can never have enough of these things!

Cheers,

Hugh

Cylon

« Reply #58 on: 23 May 2003, 06:47 am »
Looks like I may have 2 other interested parties accompanying myself am unable to put a hard confirmation on them but they seem keen so put em down as prospectives ...

I know Malcolm is bringing along his rega CD player (love the cool top loading lid) do we have enough source devices for the predicted number of amps and speakers? I've only got a basic Toshiba DVD player but will bring it along if needed. As for the speakers mine are very close to finished with some fruitfull crossover tweaking last night, gotta put the top plates on and install the spikes. Just please don't mention the run in the varnish.... it's bigger than the city to surf...

Along with things like interconnects and power boards bringing a plate could be a good idea too  :mrgreen:

Shayne

Malcolm Fear

« Reply #59 on: 23 May 2003, 07:32 am »
Hi Hugh
I am bringing interconnects and speaker leads (CAT 5 of course), power leads etc, Rega Planet 2000 cd player, support shelves and stands, innertubes and black/original cd's.

Vic is bringing his powered sub woofer.