Bridge or Bi-Amp

larry99

Bridge or Bi-Amp
« on: 15 Dec 2005, 04:20 pm »
I have VMPS RM-30's that are bi-ampable. I don't have an electronics cross-over so would use the speakers cross-over. I have two NAD 2700 stereo amplifiers. In normal mode the amps put out 150W per channel. In bridge mode I get 300W. Would I be better off connecting to the speakers in a bi-amp configuration and driving the top and bottom with separate 150W sources, OR leave the top and bottom of the speakers wired in parallel and switch the amps to bridge mode. Anyone done a simialar experiment before? The specs for the amplifier are the same as today's NAD 272 (available at www.nadelectronics.com)

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Bridge or Bi-Amp
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2005, 04:36 pm »
I would be inclined to biamp them as long as you get good bass response from the woofers with "just" 150 watts.  With bass it's not just the power but also damping factor.  I tried 200 watters on RM40s which gave wooly bass but I don't know on the 30s.  Biamping insulates the mid/treble from being affected by big bass induced power draw, but try them and listen for yourself -- always the best approach if doable. :wink:

edit.  Welcome to AC.