The [new] Daedalus DA-1 & DA-2 are coming

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« on: 10 Dec 2005, 03:52 am »
I just received tracking numbers on the my new Daedalus DA-1 speakers. They will be here the end of next week  :mrgreen: and will be ready for audition anytime thereafter.

I do have the new DA-2 on order and will be here early 2006 with the Daedalus Center channel to follow shortly thereafter.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2005, 01:19 pm »
The new DA-1 are now running and available for audition. After the holidays, we will be getting the DA-2's in!!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2005, 01:34 pm »
Bill,

What exactly are the DA-2's?

George

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2005, 02:05 pm »
Hello George,
  The DA-2's are a smaller version of the DA-1, they are identical other than using a single 8" bass driver vs the 2x 8" drivers as in the DA-1.

That can be used as the surrounds in a full Daedalus HT system (with center channel as shown below) or using 4 of them with a subwoofer to fill out the fronts.

The DA-2 are already availble for audition in our Chicago location (Jam'n Audio).

JAMn Joe

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.jamnaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2005, 04:41 pm »
George,

In addition to the driver configuration being different, the cabinet design is slightly different as well.

The DA-2's while designed to be a surround speaker make for an excellent main speaker in smaller rooms (16x14x8) and sound even better when augmented with a great subwoofer.

A very musical speaker!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2005, 07:56 pm »
Thanks guys.

Would be cool if you could post some pics.

George

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2005, 08:20 pm »
Would be cool if you could post some pics.

They will be posted on my website (and here) very soon.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2005, 12:43 am »
Here is some PICs of the new DA-1

I will need Jam'n Joe to send me some pictures of the DA-2 so I can post them here also.

audiojerry

« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2005, 01:02 am »
So this is a speaker you carry, but one you don't mod?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2005, 01:23 am »
So this is a speaker you carry, but one you don't mod?

Correct, I do not mod this speaker. Besides, I just don't have the time to tearapart everything that comes through the door.

meby

Heard the DA-2s at CAS meeting
« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2005, 01:48 am »
Last weekend I got to hear the DA-2s at the CAS meeting and I thought they were very nice speakers and they have beautiful woodwork.  I heard them drive by single ended EL-34 amps and 300b and also a 50 watt solid state integrated.  I was shocked how efficent these speakers were, they sounded good at reasonable levels with the 4 watt EL-34s and they were excellent with the 300bs and rocked with the SS amp. :wink:  
I actually like them better than the larger Daedelus.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2005, 02:13 am »
HI meby,
 You heard them with the Song tube amps. Jam'n Joe Jurzec provided the DA-2 speakers for the show. Spec wise, they are the same 96dB sensitivity as the DA-1.

You should here them with something along the lines of the 200 watt Hurricane tube mono blocs :o

meby

« Reply #12 on: 16 Dec 2005, 02:19 am »
Bill,
 Thanks but I would like to still listen without hearing aids when I am older.  With 8 watts they were plently loud in the room which has to be 35x20x10 approx. No way would 200 watts go in my 14x17x9 room :nono:

Hell I currently have 250 watts into my maggies and they play way too loud for me :o
Mike

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #13 on: 16 Dec 2005, 04:25 am »
Bill,
Thanks but I would like to still listen without hearing aids when I am older. With 8 watts they were plently loud in the room which has to be 35x20x10 approx. No way would 200 watts go in my 14x17x9 room  

Hell I currently have 250 watts into my maggies and they play way too loud for me  
Mike

HI Mike,
  Having more power is not always about "volume levels". With a rated 96dB, the Daedalus obviously will provide a very musical experience with just about any amount of low power.

I am a SET nut and like my 300B and 805 tubes which both do very well on the Daedalus. When you introduce more power / current, you wake the system up. It becomes more alive, even at the lower listening levels.

My everyday preference with the DA-1's is my 300B, 8 watt mono blocs. Oohhhhhh, so sweet is the music. BUT, when I get the chance, I will be building myself a pair of EXtreme Hurricanes or Monsoons to pair with the DA-1's. Two pair of the 300B mono blocs (I have 5 pair) will get pair with the Usher D2 horns in a bi-amp setup. Probably the 25 watts PP 300B's below with the 8 watter on the TAD.