RA8 and HT3 Initial listning notes

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« on: 8 Dec 2005, 05:21 pm »
Well I guess you could call this being in the right place at the right time.
When Secrets of Home Theater saw the RA8 at the RMAF they imediatly wanted one to review. Seeing as I am located a mere 5hrs drive from Al's shop I was given the task of hearing what these boys can do.

Fast forward a month or so and this non-discript van shows up. Out pops Al and in the back were no less than 3 fair sized boxes, and two monster sized boxes. It was those last two which made me shudder - the prospect alone of lugging two giant sized boxes into my pickup caused my back to spasm.

Turns out Al had more than just the RA8 in mind for me. As well he brought up a pair of HT3's and a pair of HT2's.

RA8 - Supurd imaging and amazing detail. Even at low to mid volumes this speaker is extracting previosuly unheard detail out of my most commonly played cds. The bass extension is fantastic for being tuned to only 40hz. I have watched some DVD's without a subwoofer and they do a marvelous job with the low frequency content. Intital lisnting tests showed some very slight sibilance with female vocals. Very slight, and I will go back through those discs again now that I have more hours on these speakers.

HT3 - I had honestly hoped to have more hours on these by now, but frankly the RA8's are just too much fun. I have put some limitid time on them and I must say I am floored by the bass extension from the extremis woofers.

The finish on both these speakers are nothing short of beautiful, and I am very impressed with my initial observations.

Jared Rachwalski

CaptainKellog

« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2005, 07:06 pm »
Talk about a small world!

I live in Surrey about 10 mins away from RAW Acoustics. And on top of that I grew up in Vernon!

Milehighguy

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2005, 08:03 pm »
In regards to sibilance;

My friend came over to hear my RA8's and he had issues with sibilance with his B&W 802 (v.1) speakers. We played "thorazine Shuffle" from the Government Mule album "dose", which had exhibited problems with his speakers. We couldn't hear any excessive sibilance there. I have had speakers with sibilance before and am sensitive to the issue, and I haven't noticed any problems.
Some recordings have sibilance more than others, and my friend identified Dave Matthews as having this trait on some of his recordings. Maybe the microphone or how close the singer gets to the microphone makes a difference?

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2005, 11:07 pm »
The track was Spanish Harlem on a Chesky demo disc.
I havn't replayed it yet or messed around to hear what was going on.

Mind you this was a very minor issue that I had to really dig deep to find!