I am totally confused

matix

I am totally confused
« on: 7 Dec 2005, 06:51 am »
Have been lurking for quite a while, and getting a splitting headache.  OK, some dumb questions which I hope someone will help before I continue lurking around.

I am thinking of replacing my Wadia 850, Denon AVCA11SR and Snazio DVD player with my existing PC and this...  http://www.acoustic-reality.com/onlinedoc/earmasterone.pdf  I have a pair of eAR 1001 monoblocks which will match nicely (asthetics).   The PC is in the study room, but I have no problem running wires to the living room where the set up will be.

Lurking around hoping to learn more, but think getting more confused.  :( So here are the dumb questions

1) What is IEE 1394 Firewire? I don't see it mentioned here.  Is Acoustic Reality the only company using it? Any future compatibility issues and problems if this is the case?

2) I can use the existing PC and not change anything... am I right?  I saw some links here and there that sound cards from M Audio are better.. I thought we are transferring digital bits only from the PC? I have EAC and FLAC installed and ready (I think :? )

3) Squeezeboxes... What are they?  Is it necessary for sound improvement if I don't mind going to the PC all the time to find my files.

Hm...I don't even know what else or what to ask.  Maybe someone help me with this.  I need to just sell off my CD player, AV amp and DVD player,  and then use the PC to connect to the eAR master one,  and everything will work?  If not, what other hardware needed?  OK... back to more lurking.. :wink:

Nick B

I am totally confused
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2005, 08:44 am »
matix       you are not alone in your confusion. i've been looking into this for some time. maybe davehg's response to my earlier new post entitled "need help re SB3 and pc" will be quite helpful to you. also, the sb device is explained here http://www.slimdevices.com/. good luck

matix

I am totally confused
« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2005, 08:51 am »
Quote from: Nick B
matix       you are not alone in your confusion. i've been looking into this for some time. maybe davehg's response to my earlier new post entitled "need help re SB3 and pc" will be quite helpful to you. also, the sb device is explained here http://www.slimdevices.com/. good luck

Hi Nick

Yes, I thought I was doing fine following your thread and elsewhere, until I saw davehg's blogsite on the need to change soundcards and/or squeeze boxes.  So... posting some questions specfic to my confusion here... :?

EchiDna

I am totally confused
« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2005, 10:59 am »
hey guys, it aint all that confusing...
1, 1394 firewire is a fast form of data transfer via direct connected cables - something like USB, but faster - however not as common as USB2. It is distance limited unlike networked devices.

2, It depends... do you want to play files off the PC, or use the PC as the source itself? in buying the EAR preamp (or a squeezebox), you would not need to upgrade the PC - if you want the quick and easy version to try it out, just plug your existing PC's audio out into your preamp's input socket and have a listen... upgrading the soundcard will make a difference, but doing this means the PC is close to your system (system noise etc tends to make this less attractive). I personally am using this method with a very quiet PC.

3, a squeezebox (and other similar devices from Roku and others) is a networked mini computer that acts like a traditional source - however, the media it plays are not CDs - it plays files from anywhere on your computer network - the computer holding the files needs to be on, but the interface on the squeezbox allows you to search for files locally to play.

I hope that makes sense!

matix

I am totally confused
« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2005, 11:25 am »
thanks for a quick reply from a fellow singaporean.  OK.  That means no need to go and find out how to replace a sound card for me.  And no need squeeze boxes, too  :D

Another question....  from a PC,  can I play DTS, Dobly Ditial and all the latest format, and output to the 7 channels eAR preamp?  I mean,  there is licensing fees involved, isn't it?  If this is possible,  who is going to buy an AV amp anymore?   :roll:

EchiDna

I am totally confused
« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2005, 01:29 pm »
well yes and no matix...
you probably will not be happy with the sound quality you get from any onboard soundcard...

However if you do decide to go with the eAR pre, then all you need is a firewire connection on your PC and away you go.

multichannel? well the eAR does say that it is 7.1 compatible....
when you buy DVD software it comes with the licensing for DTS etc, already in it.