Should I mod my squeeze box (entry-level system)

Bob F.

« on: 3 Dec 2005, 07:19 pm »
Hello,

I am interested in having a squeezebox 3 modded for enhanced analog output.

I have the following setup:

Speakers - Paradigm Signature Reference S4
Amplifier - NAD C372

I suppose this is an entry-level audiophile system.  Will the mods to the squeezebox be noticeable on this system?

Thanks,
Bob

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2005, 02:32 am »
Hi Bob,

Certainly you'll be able to hear the difference, but as your system isn't battery based anyway, why not just try the non-battery mods?  It would be cheaper too.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Should I mod my squeeze box (entry-level system)
« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2005, 04:57 am »
Quote from: Bob F.
Hello,

I am interested in having a squeezebox 3 modded for enhanced analog output.

I have the following setup:

Speakers - Paradigm Signature Reference S4
Amplifier - NAD C372

I suppose this is an entry-level audiophile system.  Will the mods to the squeezebox be noticeable on this system?

Thanks,
Bob

Hi Bob,

Welcome to Audiocircle and thanks for your post.

If you are using the analog output of the SB3 to feed your NAD C372 amp (and using the SB3 for the volume control, correct?) I believe you will most definitely hear very noticeable improvement that comes from the mods to the analog output stage (mods 1 through 5 on my website).  I also recommend replacing the stock SB3 power supply with a linear supply (5V, 1.5A will do the trick), or if you budget allows, conversion to the battery power supply + the rest of the mods that are listed on my site will take the SB3's performance to an even higher level.  

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Bob F.

Another question
« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2005, 05:31 pm »
I've not received my SB3 or my NAD yet.  I've been running the S4s through a $200 Pioneer reciever/amp  since this time last year.

So I suppose I will be running the SB3 directly into the NAD. Could I use the digital instead of analog?  Is there a difference in the sound?

Also, do I need to get a different power supply for the NAD?

And finally, after some reading I see that the mod vs. not mod vs. AC vs. battery vs. DAC vs. whatever....  is about as hotly debated as the Iraq war.

If you are concerned about getting flamed to death for posting a reply, I'll happily receive PMs  :)

maxwalrath

« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2005, 05:37 pm »
pm sent, go for the mod

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Another question
« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2005, 05:40 pm »
Quote from: Bob F.
I've not received my SB3 or my NAD yet.  I've been running the S4s through a $200 Pioneer reciever/amp  since this time last year.

So I suppose I will be running the SB3 directly into the NAD. Could I use the digital instead of analog?  Is there a difference in the sound?

Also, do I need to get a different power supply for the NAD?

And finally, after some reading I see that the mod vs. not mod vs. AC vs. battery vs. DAC vs. whatever....  is about as hotly debated as the Iraq war.

If you are concerned about getting flamed to death for posting a reply, I'll happily receive PMs  :)

Bob,

No worries about flaming people here on my circle.  If it were to get ugly, I'd have to jump in with the extinguisher and blast away  :mrgreen:

Your NAD amp does not have a digital input, so you'll have to use the analog connections (which is perfectly fine).  

The power supply in the NAD was designed for the NAD and cannot be easily replaced (nor is it recommended).  You might want to look into a power conditioner, but first get the amp and see what it can do on its own.

Regards,

jp1

audible hiss
« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2005, 04:54 am »
after the sb3 mod "100 hour burn-in", will the regular background hiss behind the music disappear? or is that never achievable?