RAW Acoustics Omega/Lambda Review

rwbarnes

« on: 29 Nov 2005, 06:01 pm »
Thought I'd post a quick review of the Omega/Lambda line array's I purchased from Al a few months ago. Prior to this system, I owned Eminent Technology LFT7 planer magnetic speaker system, and have auditioned many top of the line speakers, i.e. Wilson Audio watt/puppy, Soundlab M-1, Magneplaner 20.1, VMPS RM-40's, RMX, ect. In my opinion, the Omega/Lambda, combination represents as close to state of the art as can be obtained for under $40,000.00 :) . Imaging, soundstaging, and transient response are in a word "BREATHTAKING" I believe one reason for this level of performance is the Adire wr125st midrange driver. This was the first 4" unit of its type to incorporate Adire's XBL technology. It is lightning quick, has amazing "slam", and because it's response in the upper octives is so good, the Aurum Cantus G3si ribbons can operate in the range they were best suited for.  Treble response is what you would expect from 12 G3si's per side, that is to say, nearly holographic. I purchased this system fully completed from Al, His cabinet work is terrific, and his support after the purchase is one reason I would recommend any speaker system that RAW Acoustic sells without reservation. Great guy, great company!!

RAW

« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2005, 08:46 pm »
Thanks for the quick drop by Bob.
For those who do not know of the Omega or Lambda line arrays we have had them for almost a year now and Bob was the first to get them both plus a center channel.

Both line arrays use the XBL^2 CSS WR driver.These 16ohm drivers have 6mm Xmax along with a very clean frequency range that to the low THD from the XBL^2 motor.

The Omega uses 18 drivers with a side line of our custom  G3 series ribbon.This is not the G3Si as Bob made not of.They really are 2 different tweeters, both in the motor as well as the smaller face plate on our ribbon yeilds a closer center to center than all the other G3 longer ribbons.

Cabinets are 1.25" all cabinet walls plus braces ever 12", along with our damping material.
Cabinets are for the Omega are 12"X 12" X 80" sealed with a more natural roll off of the drivers.We do not port them as the 4.5" drivers have a better response as well as more power handling sealed.
Matched with a seperate sub which we find having the seperate sub woofer makes for a better in room response.
Location of the sub with bass loading is different in each room and we designed the Omega and Lambda sealed for this reason.

The Lambda folllow the same contrustion 1.25" cabinet thickness with braces every 12" along with damping material.
Cabinet size is 12" X 12" X 60" tall
Sealed design using 8 XBL^2 drivers with 6 of our ribbon tweeters.

The center channel design uses a single ribbon placed in the middle of 8 drivers.Four on each side of the ribbon.

Over all the match with sealed drivers and ribbon tweeters brings a warmth to the mids and highs that is breath taking to listen to.

Thanks again for stopping by.

kfr01

Impressive Looking Speakers
« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2005, 09:33 pm »
Very impressive looking picture and speakers.  I hope to have the opportunity to hear those some day.

RAW

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2005, 04:09 am »
Yes I forgot the important part here.
Out of these pictures are the low end of the system
Twin Adire Sahara tube subs.
Now you think a pair of them would be enough.
Well we just finished the low mid add ons.
Picture array of 9 yes 9 Extremis 6.8" woofers standing beside each of the Omega line arrays.

For those who are counting
Omega uses 18 of the XBL^2 drivers with 12 ribbon tweeters in each speaker then a second tower standing beside each Omega housing 9 Extremis 6.8" woofers.
These are sealed as well for a very tight and mighty forcefull mid low end.

At this time they are passive but a DEQX is sitting next to them now and will be going to DEQX to help control the room :o

kfr01

wow!
« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2005, 04:31 am »
Those Omegas + towers holding a combined 18 Extremis drivers in the same room.  

You need to reclassify that setup as a weapon of mass destruction.   :o  :D I can't imagine the potential forcefulness and impact!

RAW

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2005, 04:33 am »
Yes a lot of air movement for sure.
Never mind forward air pressure, how about gut moving depth of mid bass.
Then add the twin Sahara's :o  :lol:

yithai

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2006, 04:50 am »
Any update on the DEQX Omega Line Array.  Are you utilize the active crossover of this DEQX or just the speaker/room correction?  What is the benefit over the passive crossover?  Can a subwoofer be added to this DEQX crossover, to make it a 3 ways design? :roll:

Thanks
Hai

RAW

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2006, 08:20 pm »
DEQX is still under works for the Omega Line array and by the sounds of it I will be heading down to help with the set up shortly.

We will keep the DEQX updated as soon as we have it finished.

RAW

« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2006, 01:21 am »
Well here is a few more pictures of the set up and I will say that DEQX is now going for the Omega's :o

Above are the Lambda that are used as rears speakers in the Home theater.

RAW

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2006, 01:24 am »

The Omega which now has DEQX implemented for them and the front Extremis towers.
Yes 4 forward firing and 4 rear firing Extremis on each side of the Omega's

You may see the passive crossovers in the back on the floor we have them extrenal at this time so the customer can switch between DEQX and passive if he would like to.

RAW

« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2006, 01:26 am »

Side view of the small speakers :o

Side by side the Lambda 8-6 (shorter) Omega 18-12

Front view of the Home Theater.

RAW

« Reply #11 on: 20 Feb 2006, 01:27 am »

And yes they have Magnetic grills as well

klh

« Reply #12 on: 24 Feb 2006, 12:29 am »
I'm drooling.

Nick V

« Reply #13 on: 24 Feb 2006, 12:46 am »
Those look incredible. I can only imagine the wall of sound that those puppies must throw up. I just love the height/width of soundstage that a well designed line array can acheive, while remaining perfectly natural.

JoshK

« Reply #14 on: 24 Feb 2006, 01:33 am »
What is the low end look like at reasonably high SPL?

RAW

« Reply #15 on: 24 Feb 2006, 05:24 am »
I am not sure what it cam out at for frequency response in room.But the customer is really happy now he has the 2.2 DEQX running and the imaging is now to a 3d effect that makes the hair stand up on his neck :hyper:  :drums:  :rock:

After he spent a little time with the room EQ and DEQX he said he would never go back to a passive again.

Low end well he had these Sadhara's and now
I have two Sadhara subs for sale $800.00 for the pair.
Plus shipping from Salt Lake City
http://ultimateavmag.com/features/704way/index1.html

The subs for sale are in a black cover not wood veneer.