Components that will help my XLs perform to their fullest..

ajayrav

Hello ,

What amplifier-cdp combos are recommended as companions to the XLs in a 2-channel setting?  Lets keep the cost for the pair around 2-3K. However, if the XLs REALLY sing with pricier gear, that is OK too. I'm currently running them with a Marantz sr8400 receiver (toroidal transformer, copper chassis and gold-plated inputs) and a Marantz SA8260 (Stereophile A rated) SACD player with Audioquest cabling used throughout.

Thanks,
Ajay

Harry P

« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2005, 12:52 am »
I don't have XLs, I have the 25th anniversary edition as well as Proteges for HT and I've also heard Emeralds in a few different systems. One thing I've noticed is that all these models seem extremely transparent to the source without any quirks. Some speakers just have to be fed with tubes or they sound sterile, some demand the vice grip of good SS. The ACIs seem to take on the best character of whatever you feed them with. I think my fav so far with the Sapps has been a Van Alstine moded ST70 amp with a Van Alstine pre amp. The Sapps seem to really love good tubes.

JAMn Joe

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.jamnaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2005, 01:33 am »
Hi Ajay,

I know this may be a little more than your budgeted for, but I've found the XL's to have great synergy with the NuForce amps and both a Modwright preamp and a Ming-Da preamp modified by Bill Baker.

Excellent tonality and PRAT. very good bass from a small monitor with combination of equipment. They also open up with Audiopoints underneath them.

I've tried other combinations with them that are more expensive and the sound just gets better.

ajayrav

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2005, 02:51 am »
Joe, thanks for your suggestions.  Balji Minhas also had good things to say about the Nuforce amps as well as the ModWright preamp. I have tended to shy away from digital in the past, since we are in pursuit of ANALOG sound (LOL), but in the end all that matters is the sound- not the moniker or category the amp falls under.  I plan to hop on down to Milpitas (since I live in the Bay Area) and see if I can check out their integrated- that looks pretty cool.  It is interesting to me that people seem to love ACI speakers with tubes, SS and digital amps.  Could the XLs be the one speaker for everyone?

Ajay

JAMn Joe

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.jamnaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2005, 03:39 am »
Ajay,

I've played the XL's with the Grommes 360 tube amps and the presentation is slightly more musical but the best configuration has been with the Luminance Audio amplifier. It's a solid state class A/AB amplifier that is silky smooth, as fast as the NuForce and has even tighter deeper bass. It's also more money but cost less than the Grommes amps.

The Luminance is my favorite amp with the Sapphire XL's but these speakers seem to perform well with most equipment they are paired with. They are comfortable in both an inexpensive setup and relatively expensive systems equally. Hard to ask more of a speaker than that, especially at the price point for the XL's. Mike certainly has created a special speaker in the XL.

balji

• http://www.highdefzone.us
« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2005, 04:52 pm »
I agree with Joe about the Huge verstaility of XLs to accept different amps.

Thanx
Balji

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2005, 05:11 pm »
I have had ACI speaks for many years with now enjoying the Panorama's and I think the Van Alstine equipment make them sing. They are a wonderful match. http://www.avahifi.com/

Groch

The Gaincard / Gain Clone Option
« Reply #7 on: 2 Dec 2005, 12:27 am »
We are living in exciting times when it comes to amp choices.  Some great  tube options and a couple of fine digital choices have already been mentioned.

Let me put a word in about my extremely positive experiences with another new to high end technlology - chip amps.

This months 6 Moons has a review of the 47Labs Gaincard that started the chip amp movement here: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/47labs5/gaincard.html .  

They also reference the Patek version of the amp - half the price and at 50 wpc rather than 25 it may be a better match for the XLs if you play your system loud.

The amp I am now enjoying my XLs with a similar amp, not really a "gain clone" at all but a new design by Mauro Penasa that uses the LM3886 chip driven by a LM318 op amp.  (A DIY kit from twistedpearaudio.com) .

I was previously using a Primaluna tube amp, but really like the chip amp better.  Its quicker, more detailed, but every bit as sweet and musical.  Really remarkable for the price... well, remarkable period.  All of these amps measure really well on the test bench.  I am convined most of the differences we hear are due to the specific interaction between the amp and the reactive loads of the particular speaker.  I hear a real synergy with the XLs and the twistedpear chip amp.  I think the sum is greater than the parts.

I hope that your take away from all of this is what has been mentioned earlier.  The XLs are very amp friendly.  Easy to drive and they will show off the best of most amp designs.   However, their resolution is high enough that I promise you'll hear real differences between these amps.  I think the best advice is to try to audition a few different amps, and preferably even different technologies before you decide.  It well worth the shipping charges, or trips to the store to find the one that works best for you.

BTW, you have a fantastic CD/SACD player already.  I would probably pick the amp first and then change the disc player after that.