Sapphire XL as the center speaker?

tomagardner

« on: 29 Nov 2005, 12:13 am »
Hi, I am thinking about getting 3 Sapphire XLs as my front R, L and center speakers for HT (and on wall or ceiling Emeralds as the surrounds). Has anyone done this? I'm hearing mixed messages about getting an identical speaker for the center vs the larger ones that are sold. TIA, Tom Gardner
P.S. Do I have to worry about shielding with a plasma montir?

mdubrow

« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2005, 09:28 pm »
Hi, Tom!  Welcome to the forum.

I've considered using a Sapphire XL as a center channel myself, so I'll be interested in hearing other folks' comments on this as well.

As for using shielded speakers, that's only an issue for CRT televisions.  Plasmas, LCDs, and DLPs will be unaffected by the magnetic fields from the speaker.  Mind, if you're using a Tivo or other hard drive-based PVR device, the speaker's magents could affect their performance.

Mike

Harry P

« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2005, 10:48 pm »
Some claim that three identical speakers across the front is the ultimate. I guess I don't see any downside in terms of sound. I'd be interested in what Mike D has to say about this one. I'm another person who's thinking of either 3 XLs or a pair of XLs and the matching center.

ajayrav

« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2005, 01:14 am »
While the idea of having 3 identical satellites across the front is a sound one, practically that might not work out.  If the center is on or under a monitor, the large baffle (TV set) could radically alter the sound of the center.  A number of speaker manufacturers have equalization built in to their centers for this very reason.  Wonder how the XL center will deal with this?  All right Mike D.....It is time to tantalize us with pictures of the XL center!!!

Ajay

tomagardner

« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2005, 08:20 pm »
Well they're on order. I'll let you know what I think when they get here. I can't wait. The speakers will be in front of the wall-mounted monitor so I think it'll be ok. Tom  :D