Sony's new ES Line All-In-One (Digital Power)

Jay S

« Reply #40 on: 30 Jul 2003, 01:58 pm »
Check out the eAR Pre Two.  Peter says its even better... and its also much cheaper -- $679 assembled.  Shipping should be cheap as it isn't very big or heavy.

I thinking about it.

BrunoB

« Reply #41 on: 31 Jul 2003, 02:45 am »
Quote from: TheeeChosenOne
Well, I have no problem with my multi-disc version of this unit.

Maybe it needs repair?...

Happy to hear that your unit sound nice.  

I know, I already asked you, but I can't resist asking again: any plan to try your Sony amp on your VMPS speakers? I would be interested to know how it compares to your expensive gear.

I noticed that there are many VMPS owner on this thread (including me). Interesting.

Bruno

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #42 on: 31 Jul 2003, 04:14 am »
Quote from: BrunoB
I know, I already asked you, but I can't resist asking again: any plan to try your Sony amp on your VMPS speakers? I would be interested to know how it compares to your expensive gear.....I noticed that there are many VMPS owner on this thread (including me). Interesting.  Bruno

I have no interest hooking it up to my main system as the Sony unit is sitting cozily in the bedroom.

Jay S

« Reply #43 on: 31 Jul 2003, 01:40 pm »
Should you be so inclined, its easier for Mohammed (Sony) to go to the mountain (VMPS speakers) than the other way around!   :lol:

BrunoB

Re: Hi Bruno
« Reply #44 on: 5 Aug 2003, 12:51 am »
Quote from: Harmon
Did you ever think of using a power conditioner. A power conditioner that Stan Warren recommends is the Vansevers conditioners at vansevers.com.  It is the only power conditioner Stan recommends since it is the only one that does not shrink the sound stage or reduce the details coming through your system. Just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am already using a Monster Power HTS-2000 - it did not improve the sound.

I searched for Stan Warren  and vansevers using google. I did not find anything . I searched for Stan Warren alone and found an interesting article published by Stereophile about the  PS audio HCA-2 digital amplifier.
http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?729

According to the Sterophile review, Stan Warren launched PS Audio with Paul McGowan  .

"It looks like most of the amplifier is dedicated to cleaning up the AC power," I observed.

"Our Ultimate Outlet, which we market as a separate power-conditioning device, is incorporated into the HCA-2. It's a balun—a balanced magnetic device that has about 20 turns of very heavy magnet wire in series with the AC voltage. I put one of these things on the input of the HCA-2 prototype, and that was it—the big breakthrough. I'm not sure why this is true, but the HCA-2 is power-supply-sensitive—very sensitive to what kind of power cord you hook up to it."

PS audio sells the Ultimate Outlet for $300 and offers 30 days money back guarantee. If it doesn't improve the sound, I could send it back.

Has anyone tested an Ultimate Outlet from PS audio?

Thanks,

Bruno

Harmon

Vansevers Conditioners
« Reply #45 on: 5 Aug 2003, 01:40 am »
Hi Bruno

You said "I searched for Stan Warren and vansevers using google. I did not find anything ."  Go to Vansevers.com for power conditioners.

BrunoB

New review and tweak
« Reply #46 on: 19 Aug 2003, 12:28 pm »
Here is a review of the AVD-S50ES:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez/messages/136759.html

Here is a tweak for the AVD-S50ES: clean all the electrical AC connectors (cable, wall power outlet, power strip, power noise filter, everything in the chain) with Caig Pro Gold. It is  is inexpensive. The sound of my system has degraded progressively (we had a very wet summer in NC - the contacts might have been oxidized). After cleaning, the soundstage was wider and better defined. Bass seems to be better too.

I am thinking of replacing the stock power cable now (I always thought that is was snake oil ... ). But the problem is that the cable is not removable.

Bruno

BrunoB

Sony's new ES receiver with digital amp
« Reply #47 on: 28 Aug 2003, 10:57 pm »
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-9TeqBSraiuT/ProdView.asp?a=&s=0&cc=01&g=10420&id=essential_info&i=158strda3k

The digital amp technology is called S -Master Pro.

I don't think they have direct DIGITAL SACD INPUT :(

Dmason

SONY AVD 70
« Reply #48 on: 30 Aug 2003, 08:19 pm »
I bit. Spent the morning reading this post and researching the thing; It is a real deal kinda deal. They even engineered for control voltage volume, with the suite of Tripath amps operating at an optimal minimum idle, and the output of the DACs is tied directly to the amps. Short signal paths were a prime consideration here.  Alot of consideration has been given to Tripath topology here as well, speaking as an owner of a fantastic Tripath amp; All the source stuff like all-CD formats, DVD, SACD, quartz tuner, remote, has been thrown in to sweeten the deal. THe Bel Canto eVo2 is 2 channel 120 watts and I would judge them to be using the same Tripath chipset, as these are very, very output specific.  this is a monster deal and I cannot wait to try it. The high end sound is about to get very down to earth.
Anyway, ordered online from reliableaudiovideo for $687 delivered, and did you know they have a comprehensive 5 year warranty? this one is a no brainer boys and girls....

Jay S

« Reply #49 on: 31 Aug 2003, 02:57 am »
Let us know how it sounds.  I'll bite if they have a 220v model available (or if the 110v model you got is actually multi-voltage).  All I've seen so far here in HK is the non-ES model.    :x

BrunoB

Re: SONY AVD 70
« Reply #50 on: 3 Sep 2003, 11:21 pm »
Quote from: Dmason
I bit. Spent the morning reading this post and researching the thing; It is a real deal kinda deal. They even engineered for control voltage volume, with the suite of Tripath amps operating at an optimal minimum idle, and the output of the DACs is tied directly to the amps. ...

Dmason,

where did you find that the Sony DVD combo use the Tripath technology?
Everything I found points to Sony's proprietary "S-Master" technology.
http://www.mitsubishichips.com/data/datasheets/assps/assppdf/ds/M65817AE.pdf

Bruno

Dmason

Tripath Amps X 5
« Reply #51 on: 3 Sep 2003, 11:33 pm »
-It was mentioned on the Tripath site months and months ago, over a year ago, that Sony was co-developing an all in one package for the home audio market.

-I came across some Sony technical feeder pages in a Tripath search;

-I received the package today, popped the lid off, and although they say S-Master on the ampchips, my eyes tell me Tripath. I own a Carver Professional ZR1000,  ...same deal. I is possible they have in some way altered the topology, why, I do not know, perhaps it is a licensing issue or technical wrinkle related to this "manifold" which feeds the suite of amps, but  just as my ZR did, the thing started out sounding horrible, has ratcheted up over the last three hours, and will be revisited in another three days of quiet operation. Sonic Signature: IDENTICAL. Hope that helps abit.

JackStraw

« Reply #52 on: 11 Sep 2003, 04:54 pm »
I bit....

Anyway, ordered online from reliableaudiovideo for $687 delivered, and did you know they have a comprehensive 5 year warranty? this one is a no brainer boys and girls....

I decided that I agree with Dmason. The D wouldn't happen to stand for Darren, would it?

Anyway, I talked to the guys at Oade Brothers, and they are blowing these out to make room for the new units. $575 delivered for a new C70. I think that I got their last C70, though. He quoted $385 for the S50 (without shipping, which I would assume costs $25).

JoshK

« Reply #53 on: 11 Sep 2003, 05:17 pm »
I am very interested but I would like to know how good is the picture quality?

Thump553

« Reply #54 on: 11 Sep 2003, 05:47 pm »
I'm very intrigued by this-it would solve a LOT of WAF problems.  But one essential feature to us is A/B main speakers-the ability to play a second set of speakers in a different room and it looks to me like this doesn't have that.  Could someone who has it let me know if this feature is present or not?

BrunoB

« Reply #55 on: 11 Sep 2003, 10:39 pm »
Quote from: JackStraw
I bit....

Anyway, I talked to the guys at Oade Brothers, and they are blowing these out to make room for the new units.

Do you happen to know if these new units are the new ES receiver without DVD player or is it about new combos with integrated DVD?

Thanks,

Bruno

Dmason

Sony AVD C70ES
« Reply #56 on: 11 Sep 2003, 10:52 pm »
To those of you reviewing this thread, may it please you to know that after about one week of constant play, the AVD70 is sounding very, very, very good. This receiver, with the Tripath amps makes integrated amps such as the vaunted Creek 5350, a Stereophile rated "A" integrated, sound like cheap mid-fi junk in comparison, because it still uses transistors at output stage. The sonic signature is very similar to my outstanding Carver Pro ZR, demonstrates typical great speaker control even at low volumes, and in general completely leaves in the shade all other forms of SS amplification, just as I had expected. Advice: spend on some good speaker cables with the money you know you saved buying this thing...

Though it neither sounds like SS or tubes, IMHO it sounds more like tubes with the flow and "lit from within" quality, no grain or edge to the highs, the one SACD I bought to try sounds fabulous. (Miles Davis, 'Kind of Blue'...

I ordered from M Audio an optical-coaxial digital convertor, so as to use the digital out with a Scott Nixon DAC, and back in to the AUX analogue inputs, is going to make this a little monster. It is currently powering a pair of Usher X 719 monitors, this combo, my Little Dog system, -though neither components are quite broken in, will CRUSH many high end comers, and I have owned a long line of outstanding and expensive components over the years.

Sony is currently releasing a line of tripath-powered  digital receivers which appear to be cost effective, though none come close to the AVD models in that respect. Read a thorough review of the Carver Pro ZR amp at AA to see what you are missing.

JackStraw

« Reply #57 on: 12 Sep 2003, 12:24 am »
Quote from: BrunoB
Quote from: JackStraw
I bit....

Anyway, I talked to the guys at Oade Brothers, and they are blowing these out to make room for the new units.

Do you happen to know if these new units are the new ES receiver without DVD player or is it about new combos with integrated DVD?

Thanks,

Bruno

I'm sorry the guy at Oade didn't say... he just said that they would be quite a bit more expensive. I assumed that they are integrated units... you could call Oade at 229-228-0093 more more info.

Hantra

« Reply #58 on: 12 Sep 2003, 12:43 pm »
Josh:

As far as picture quality, it's the best I've seen.  I have owned a Pioneer DV-05, a DVP-7700S, and a cheap Pioneer 353, and this beats them all.  Colors are very rich, and full, and lots of depth.

It sounds REALLY good too. . .  Easily rivals the Arcam I had.

B

JackStraw

« Reply #59 on: 12 Sep 2003, 06:08 pm »
Quote from: Hantra
Josh:

As far as picture quality, it's the best I've seen.  I have owned a Pioneer DV-05, a DVP-7700S, and a cheap Pioneer 353, and this beats them all.  Colors are very rich, and full, and lots of depth.

It sounds REALLY good too. . .  Easily rivals the Arcam I had.

B

This is great to hear. I was considering the Arcam AVR and this. The downside that I see for the Sony is the lack of preouts for future expansion.

That said, do you Sony AVD C70 owners feel like it is underpowered? The guys at Oade warned me that some people are complaining about the lack of power.