New line of DACs. Info posted!

brj

« on: 14 Nov 2005, 05:33 am »
Hi Danny.

I had a couple of questions for you based on your most recent comments in the NTAJ thread.  This is one of two threads I started to avoid side-tracking the jam scheduling thread too much...

Regarding the "new line of DACs":

1) Is the new line of DACs yours, or Gary's?

2) Any details on the DACs?  (Specs, pricing, availability, etc.?)

3) Any chance of computer source type connectivity (USB, etc.) or some level of integration with a pre-amp?

Thanks!

Danny Richie

« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2005, 11:29 pm »
Yes, I will be carrying a line of DAC's, but I am not going to say a lot about it yet.

1) Is the new line of DACs yours, or Gary's?

Neither. It is the product line of another company. I will be distributing them into the US, and as far as I know, the only US dealer.

2) Any details on the DACs? (Specs, pricing, availability, etc.?)

Very high end, cost no object performance and entree level pricing. More info will be made available soon.

3) Any chance of computer source type connectivity (USB, etc.) or some level of integration with a pre-amp?

That might can be arranged.

brj

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2005, 11:42 pm »
Thanks, Danny!  Let us know when you can spill some more beans!

HChi

« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2005, 03:42 am »
Danny,
Can you at least leak the info whether the DAC takes multiple inputs? :)

Thanks.

samplesj

Any updates that can be shared?
« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2005, 01:23 pm »
Is there any more information about the DACs you can publicly share?

Someone leaked a model number of the DAC on a different forum so I think I know where these are coming from and I'm certainly interested in hearing more.  That particular line was on my list, but the VERY high shipping costs/risks of buying unheard kept me away.  I'd almost decided on a Benchmark, but I do like the idea of a tubed DAC since the DAC-1 might be too sterile for a TVC pre.

EDIT: I just noticed the pictures have the name on them so it is the line I was thinking.  If you can't and/or don't want to publicly announce this yet you might want to ask them to pull the pictures.

Jeremy

Danny Richie

Info up
« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2005, 04:59 pm »
Okay guys,

I have some info up on our site now. Go here:

http://www.gr-research.com/components/lite_dacs.htm

I haven't yet resolved how to keep our on line ordering system from adding shipping charges from GR Research but we're working on it.

All of these units are shipped straight to you from the exporter. We are just a distributor for these and make very little on them. There is no room for dealer margins in the price structure, but I want our customers to have access to these great DAC's and I am sure it will also draw more traffic to our site. They have given me their full support to distribute them, and I may add more of their products in the future.  

I have already had one of each of these units shipped in and the service was great. The quality is outstanding!

I also have them working on adding a USB port input on a couple of them. It might add a few bucks to the final price but I think it will be worth it.

A mod kit for each unit will be offered from Sonic Craft and a completely installed mod upgrade.

I am sure that others professional mod guys will jump all over these as well.

Enjoy.

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2005, 05:09 pm »
When do you think the USB versions will be available?

brj

Re: Info up
« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2005, 05:14 pm »
Quote from: Danny
I also have them working on adding a USB port input on a couple of them. It might add a few bucks to the final price but I think it will be worth it.

Danny, is this going to involve a hidden USB -> S/PDIF -> I2S conversion, or will it be a true USB -> I2S implementation?

Also, which of the 3 USB protocols are they looking at supporting?

Thanks!

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2005, 06:17 pm »
Danny, is this going to involve a hidden USB -> S/PDIF -> I2S conversion, or will it be a true USB -> I2S implementation?

Also, which of the 3 USB protocols are they looking at supporting?

Good questions. I'll pass them on and see if I can get a response quickly.

kfr01

wow wow wow
« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2005, 09:06 pm »
The pricing is awesome.  Get that USB feature up and running and I predict that PC audio fanatics will be beating down your door (including myself).    :)

rbrb

« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2005, 10:10 pm »
Would I be correct in assuming from the specs that the DAC-60 can process a 24/96 PCM signal??

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 8 Dec 2005, 05:07 pm »
Lite's response on the USB port:

"Lite's idea is a true USB to I2S implement but still under test."

More later on that.

audiojerry

« Reply #12 on: 8 Dec 2005, 07:31 pm »
Thanks for introducing another promising prospect, Danny.
Just one more advantage of being a member of the AC family.  :D

What will be the audition/trial policy?

Or, maybe another one of those great audition tours that you've offered in the past?  :wink: For those prices, you might get a long order list from members after trying it out and reading the reviews.

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 8 Dec 2005, 08:14 pm »
Would I be correct in assuming from the specs that the DAC-60 can process a 24/96 PCM signal??

Yes, and without upsampling.

Jerry, these are too low cost for what they are for any one to loose out. I am not planing on sending out reveiew samples or stocking a bunch of them. It won't take long on these until a lot of people have them and can offer feedback.

Nick V

« Reply #14 on: 8 Dec 2005, 08:56 pm »
Will you be offering modified units for sale directly? If so, when do you think they'll be available for purchse?

This is looking like a KILLER Christmas present, and it won't break the bank!!!

I'll probably hold out for the modified unit with USB input. That will be just fantastic at that price. WOW! I almost can't even believe it.

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 8 Dec 2005, 09:06 pm »
Will you be offering modified units for sale directly?

I can't say anything about the USB port mod or implementation, but upgraded them or modding them like the mods made on my unit is no problem.

Units can be ordered and shipped direct to Sonic Craft for mods.

If so, when do you think they'll be available for purchse?

Available right now! Just order on line or on the phone.

I'll probably hold out for the modified unit with USB input. That will be just fantastic at that price. WOW! I almost can't even believe it.

I'll anounce something here on the USB input as soon as I know something.

Sintz

« Reply #16 on: 8 Dec 2005, 09:53 pm »
Wow. Looks great.

I have a couple more questions:
1. Will a digital AES/EBU input be available?
2. Will XLR outputs be available?
3. Will both 1 and 2 be available together?

I wouldn't mind an reasonable increase in pricing for the options mentioned above.

Lemme know.
Thanks!

Rocket

« Reply #17 on: 8 Dec 2005, 10:31 pm »
Hi Danny,

Can the units be shipped to australia with 230 voltage?  At these prices it is worth it just for a listen.

Regards

Rod

audiojerry

« Reply #18 on: 8 Dec 2005, 11:08 pm »
From the enthusiasm I'm seeing, it looks like there will be a fair number of buyers purchasing on faith. It may turn out to be a great sounding dac, but without actually trying it, with no track record of performance,  and no knowledge of the producer? Too much of  leap of faith for me. A couple hundred bucks or a few hundred bucks still represents more than chump change for me.

I would however consider a group buy. By that I mean a bunch of us kick in  $25 - $50 each to buy one, then we each try the dac for a couple of weeks. When each person is done, we can post our impressions and ship it to the next guy on the list. When everyone is done, we can either sell it, raffle it off within the group of buyers, or something else. Afterwards we divy up the proceeds and return equal portions back to the buyers.    

Anyone interested? If so, someone could start a new thread soliciting interested members. Money could be placed into an escrow account on Paypal, or maybe Danny would be willing to hold the pooled payments?

I'm not asking Danny to do this - just thinking out loud, and I hope I'm not saying anything to offend him. I don't think I am.

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 8 Dec 2005, 11:36 pm »
Can the units be shipped to australia with 230 voltage?

I'll find out.

Jerry, I'll do whatever I can to get a couple of these units out there and in the right hands.