It can be achieved for US$400.00....but $610.06 is better

randytsuch

« Reply #60 on: 18 Jan 2006, 01:09 am »
Hi CG,
Thanks for the link, I went to their site, and saw how they did it.

Wondering, if taking a piece of magnet wire, and soldering a piece of copper or something to the end of it will make it act more like the paddle that KAB uses.

Another project to try, I still need to try your longhorn mod, but have been really busy at work, so no time yet.

Randy

TheChairGuy

« Reply #61 on: 18 Jan 2006, 03:43 am »
Quote from: randytsuch
Hi CG,
Thanks for the link, I went to their site, and saw how they did it.

Wondering, if taking a piece of magnet wire, and soldering a piece of copper or something to the end of it will make it act more like the paddle that KAB uses.

Another project to try, I still need to try your longhorn mod, but have been really busy at work, so no time yet.

Randy

Hey Randy,

I'm sure there are variable involved in making the 'perfect' paddle and damping trough...I have read about paddle depth, width, how far into the viscous goo one should have the paddle and the viscosity of the silicone goo itself.  That's all way to tweaky for me...10,000 cst with a snip of paper clip bonded to the undersid of the arm with QuakeHold (like BluTak) works great.  It is a dang serious upgrade...it both damps the microvibrations that occurs when tracing the grooves and adds additional isolation from air and footborne external vibrations.  It's worth the shot for $10.00  :!:  

I'd rate the damping trough a little higher than the current erzatz Longhorn/van Alstine mod that I did. My quasi-Longhorn mod incrementally improved my analog front end...the damping trough was one of those spooky, hair-raising upgrades for me.

For all I know, the full monty Longhorn mod might just provide the all-out hair raising, too. I can't afford to lose any more hairs, tho  :wink:

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #62 on: 20 Jan 2006, 06:39 pm »
It is 1000 centistroke, not 10,000 which would be way too think for our cartridge fix.  Works great for tone arm bearings too.

Frank Van Alstine

TheChairGuy

Re: It can be achieved for US$400.00....but $610.06 is better
« Reply #63 on: 12 Oct 2006, 04:03 am »
She's still quite homely, but she plays even better now....

Setting her up on steel shot filled string bean cans and topped with some squishy (very effective) puds from LAT International...and re-filling the damping trough with 50,000 cst silicone were major benefits added since January....

I realized recently how important having a damped platter was in a direct drive unit.....perhaps more so than a belt driver as that motor right under it is both something of it's achilles heel and major benefit.  So, I dug out an old Audioquest Sorbothane mat (must weight half-a-pound, which in itself is good to beef up the cheap platter that JVC provided - remember, this was not JVC's top-of-the-line unit circa 1979 or so).  It makes for a miserable platter mat right under the record itself, but under the Herbie's mat it damps the platter nicely and the Herbie's does a much better job of wresting control of the vinyl without robbing it of life.  Tight bass and better resolution just came pouring out of the JVC after making this platter mat sandwich  :)

So, tomorrow or the next I'm gonna Soundcoat the entire underside and top side of the aluminum platter - in addition to the 1/4 lb of Plast-i-Clay already in place on the underside.  Hopefully, it adds another 1/2 lb of mass and eliminates most traces of ringing from 10 hz to 20kHz where it's most effective.  I think it should pay rich dividends in sound by totally deadening that platter - which is by it's very nature integral with the (vibrating, no matter how well made) motor itself.

Stay tuned for more episodal information on the world's homeliest (but, fine sounding) turntable  :thumb: