My New Reference CD - Whats Yours?

SCUBADON

• http://24SCUBA.COM
« Reply #20 on: 17 Nov 2005, 07:35 pm »
Gianluigi Trovesi Nonet (Round about a Midsummer's Dream) is by far the best recorded Redbook CD I have ever heard.  Heck, I don't even like classical!  

It's not easy to get, I had to import from Germany.

Jullian from Sedona Sky Sound told me about this one.  Thanks Jullian!

LFE

« Reply #21 on: 4 Dec 2005, 07:36 am »
Wilco - A Ghost is Born
Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine

SWG255

Fiona Apple
« Reply #22 on: 4 Dec 2005, 07:40 pm »
Quote from: LFE
Wilco - A Ghost is Born
Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine

I enjoy the Wilco disc, although i wouldn't call it an audiophile reference recording. Still, I think too much can be made of using "audiophile recordings" for equipment evaluation. They often sound so good themselves that one might not readily hear problems in a system or piece of equipment which will sound fatiguing with standard commercial fare.

I've been interested in Fiona Apple but never bought any of her recordings, would this one be a good disc to start with?

LFE

« Reply #23 on: 5 Dec 2005, 12:10 am »
I would start with her 2nd record, "when the pawn..."

dogberry

« Reply #24 on: 5 Dec 2005, 12:12 am »
Sunny Sumpter - Sunny from Mapleshade.

You wanna hear an amazing disc, try that one!

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/reviews/05932.php

jon_010101

« Reply #25 on: 5 Dec 2005, 12:29 am »
Quote from: Carlman
Damien Rice '0' or 'O'.. not sure if it's a letter or number.
Specifically I use 'Volcano' and 'Blower's Daughter' to assess things in my system.

That track towards the end which starts out with the girl singing, moves to D. Rice screaming, moves on to ridiculous noise, is a great reference for dynamic range.  My neighbors surely hate it, as I always underestimate how loud I have it.  

Calexico's albums have also served me well.  Great horns and percussion.  "Stray" from The Black Light is one of my favorites for "reference".

Anything Mapleshade too... when that doesn't sound like the "real thing", then I know something is definitely wrong.  Music biases aside, I'm not a fan of the pristine Telarc sound, and Chesky can also be a bit too polished, but the 'shade always sounds fantastic to my ears.

audioferret

Opus3: Test CD4
« Reply #26 on: 5 Dec 2005, 01:40 am »
This disk is awesome!

Test CD4 is a Multichannel/2CH Stereo disk that works on SACD players and Redbook players.  It is a collection of jazz and classical compiled specifically to showcase instruments and venues.

Tracks:
1. Allegro Con Spirito - 12 Woodwind ensemble in a church
2. Try a little tenderness - Piano and drum in a jazz club
3. Allegretto Con Variazoni (Mozart) - Orchestral in Concert Hall, Bass Clarinet solos
4. Sonate: Finale - Steinway Concert Grand D in a small Concert Hall
5. Circo della vita - Jazz-inspired Wind Ensemble in a Church
6. Played Twice (Monk) - Jazz Club with Bass Player and Drum Solos
7. Winin Boy Blues - 20's jazz with brass instruments
8. Sweet Georgia Brown - 40's swing
9. Allegro di Molto - by the Stockholm Guitar Quartet: soprano, alto, tenor and Bass Guitars
10. Concertino for Clarinet and string (Mozart) 30 Player Chamber Orchestra
11. Stompin at the Savoy. (With second pianist playing instead of Double-Bass)
12. Concherto for Double Bass and String Orchestra - Awesome DB solo!
13. Reunion Blues. Drums, Sax and Piano
14. Kongen. Awesome Percussion: Xylophone, Almglocken, water chimes, drums, etc.
15. Black Beauty (Ellington) Cool Double Bass and Baritone Sax.
16. House of the Rising Sun: Cyndee Peters, Bells, Cymbols, Sax
17. Look over Yonder: Eric Bibb, Conga Drums, Steel Drum

I just love to use this CD.  First, I know every track.  Second, it is really good at 3D image testing and timbre of individual pieces.  Highly Recommended!

http://www.opus3records.com/list.html

They have a choral and Organ collection that I am thinking of getting next.

AudioStone

Amanda McBroom - A Timeless Thing
« Reply #27 on: 5 Dec 2005, 04:54 pm »
Quote from: PhilNYC
AudioStone...since you are in Singapore, it's not worth the trouble to send all this stuff back and forth.  I'll pick up the CD...even if I don't like it, I'm sure that someone who comes to audition music will like it...!

DTB...I actually get to hear some pretty good tracks when customers come by.  But beyond the three I listed, I don't get that many repeats.  Maybe "Duende" from the Black Light Syndrome CD has come up a few times, but after that there have been surprisingly few repeats...

Dear Phil,

Did you have a chance to pick up the CD yet? I would love to know your initial thoughts??

All the best!
Audiostone

PS I might be in NYC early in the new year. A micro brewery is on the cards. My treat!

Adz523

« Reply #28 on: 6 Dec 2005, 02:02 am »
I still think Nora Jones' Come Away with Me is hands down one of the best sounding CDs out there.

BillyM

« Reply #29 on: 6 Dec 2005, 07:25 pm »
Peter Malick, Norah Jones - New York City
Clicky Link to its Amazon Page

...purchased a few months ago.  If a CD can get dizzy from being over-played, this should have up-chucked in my player long long ago. :lol:   Not necessarially new, but new to me.  Anyone who thinks they like Norah Jones and HASNOT heard this, I dare to pick it up and not fall in love with that voice all over again.

Heart of Mine, for vocals
Deceptively Yours, to get a feel for a broader spectrum

--BillyM

SWG255

« Reply #30 on: 6 Dec 2005, 08:40 pm »
Quote from: BillyM
Clicky Link to its Amazon Page

...purchased a few months ago.  If a CD can get dizzy from being over-played, this should have up-chucked in my player long long ago. :lol:   Not necessarially new, but new to me.  Anyone who thinks they like Norah Jones and HASNOT heard this, I dare to pick it up and not fall in love with that v ...

Of all her discs, this is my favorite musically. It does get more playing time than her two "solo" CDs at this point.

PhilNYC

Re: Amanda McBroom - A Timeless Thing
« Reply #31 on: 6 Dec 2005, 09:01 pm »
Quote from: AudioStone
Dear Phil,

Did you have a chance to pick up the CD yet? I would love to know your initial thoughts??

All the best!
Audiostone

PS I might be in NYC early in the new year. A micro brewery is on the cards. My treat!

The CD is sitting on my desk, but I haven't had the chance to give it a listen yet.  Will try to get to it tonight!

And you are on for that microbrew...!  :beer:

AudioStone

« Reply #32 on: 8 Dec 2005, 01:23 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
Jennifer Warnes - The Hunter  Tracks 1,2, 8, & 9.

Would not classify as new either.....

I just got this on ebay on a two for one. Its 'excellent' but the second FREE disc was.....well I am lost for words. The words are by Leonard Cohen. Awsome musical quality. The recording needs a little work. Transfer to CD is a little old. But JW is class. No question.

AudioStone

Re: Amanda McBroom - A Timeless Thing
« Reply #33 on: 14 Dec 2005, 10:32 am »

And you are on for that microbrew...!  :beer:

Hey Phil,

OK call me names but how do you get those cool icons?   :?:

PhilNYC

« Reply #34 on: 14 Dec 2005, 04:08 pm »
AudioStone,

Regarding the CD you recommended; it's nice, although admittedly not really the kind of music I generally listen to.  Musically, it's a little closer to Easy Listening than I prefer.  Sonically, its decent, but not necessarily something I'd say really showcases a system's sonic performance.  Still, not a bad CD, and a good addition to the collection!

Regarding the icons, when you post a message, look to the left of the page where it says "View more Emoticons" and click on that.  You'll see a lot more options...(although some folks have put some emoticons that I haven't seen there!)... :guitar:

Tbadder1

« Reply #35 on: 14 Dec 2005, 04:37 pm »
My reference disc is Bob Marley's Catch A Fire the remastered jamaican version, not the US version, which kinda sucks.  It's the cleanest recording I've ever heard.  Separation, space, a great way to measure note decay/rise, this is one great disc.  If you want to check out the lower mids/ upper bass region you can do no better.

AudioStone

« Reply #36 on: 1 Jan 2006, 04:31 am »
AudioStone,

Regarding the CD you recommended; it's nice, although admittedly not really the kind of music I generally listen to.  Musically, it's a little closer to Easy Listening than I prefer.  Sonically, its decent, but not necessarily something I'd say really showcases a system's sonic performance.  Still, not a bad CD, and a good addition to the collection!

Regarding the icons, when you post a message, look to the left of the page where it says "View more Emoticons" and click on that.  You'll see ...

Happy New Year to you and all on this great board! I was hoping to get some freezing cold weather in January but I am stuck in 35 degrees of sweaty nastiness again during the holidays.  :jester: found the icons!

I'm glad you liked the CD Phil - I just discovered this review today: taken from http://www.goodsound.com/music.shtml

Amanda McBroom is remembered as the author of "The Rose," a song made famous by Bette Midler in the film of the same title, although it was better sung in McBroom’s own recording. She has continued to write good songs and to be a viable performer, making two excellent albums at the end of the last century: A Waiting Heart and Portraits, remastered tracks from both of which are featured on A Timeless Thing. A little over half the songs are by McBroom herself; the other composers represented range from Hoagy Carmichael ("Baltimore Oriole") to John Bucchino ("Grateful"). McBroom’s songs about love and living can be quite simple and disarming, as in the heartbreaking yet life-affirming "From Where I Stand," about the breakup of a love affair: "I was standing in your shadow / Now I’m standing in your way." These two simple lines speak volumes. McBroom’s wonderful voice is superbly controlled, warm, and earthy, and the remastered sound reproduces it perfectly. If you haven’t heard this gifted singer-songwriter, this audiophile CD is a good place to start....Rad Bennett[/url]