isolating subwoofer (or speakers) from floor

cporada

« on: 2 Nov 2005, 06:23 pm »
I am wondering if anyone has sugegstions on how to isolate speakers or subwoofers from the floor.  My house has a "floating" laminate floor, and it is far from ideal for audio.  The floor palpably vibrates even at moderate sound levels when there is low bass information.  I saw the Auralex Gramma's that some people have tried with success with subwoofers:
http://www.wwbw.com/Auralex-GRAMMA-i30968.music
(the price is quite reasonable as well) but I was curious if anyone has tried this or a similar commercial or DIY design they might be willing to comment on.
Thanks
Chris

ScottMayo

Re: isolating subwoofer (or speakers) from floor
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2005, 07:15 pm »
Quote from: cporada
I am wondering if anyone has sugegstions on how to isolate speakers or subwoofers from the floor.  My house has a "floating" laminate floor, and it is far from ideal for audio.  The floor palpably vibrates even at moderate sound levels when there is low bass information.  I saw the Auralex Gramma's that some people have tried with success with subwoofers:
http://www.wwbw.com/Auralex-GRAMMA-i30968.music
(the price is quite reasonable as well) but I was curious if anyone has tried this or a similar commercial or DIY design they might be willing to comment on.
Thanks
Chris

It's hard to DIY anything cheaper than that and have it work well. Isolation is hard to do right, and subs tend to be heavy...  I'd buy, not build.

I haven't used that product.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2005, 08:30 pm »
Chris:

I'm with Scott on this one. I haven't tried the Aurelex, but I've heard they work pretty well. Sure, you could do all sorts of cool DIY stuff, but you'd have to invest quite a bit of time and money. One trick that might be nearly free would be concrete patio slabs under the sub. They won't decouple, but they'll mass load the floor at that point, making it harder for the sub to "excite" it.  You could perhaps try using both tricks indepenently, and then together to see what works best.

ScottMayo

« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2005, 12:09 am »
Quote from: Mike Dzurko
One trick that might be nearly free would be concrete patio slabs under the sub. They won't decouple, but they'll mass load the floor at that point, making it harder for the sub to "excite" it.  

This works, but you'll need to use a lot of bricks. A wood floor has a fair amount of mass to it, and a patio brick isn't all that heavy. Start with 12, wrapped in cloth. Try them on top of the sub, too.