Favorite Scary Movies

ton1313

Favorite Scary Movies
« Reply #20 on: 29 Oct 2005, 06:52 pm »
Anyone watch High Tension? Lets just say that the movie is named that for a reason :o  I have never sen a movie keep you on the edge of your seat without letting go.

I recommended it to a friend, his wife was so scared that she chewed of all of her nails.

Plot twist makes you scratch your head, but all in all pretty good flick.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Favorite Scary Movies
« Reply #21 on: 29 Oct 2005, 07:28 pm »
Quote from: PhilNYC
Call me crazy, but one of my favorite films (not just horror films) is "Vamp", starring Chris Makepeace and Grace Jones.  Not a scary film, but off-beat and funny.  The story: a couple of guys trying to pledge a fraternity are given the task of hiring a stripper for a party.  They go to a strip club in a dark part of town to find one, and it turns out that the strip club is a home to a society of vampires...

CRAZY!!   :rotflmao:

PeteG

Favorite Scary Movies
« Reply #22 on: 29 Oct 2005, 09:39 pm »
For me, is when I was a young teen and the “Exorcist” first came out at the theater, scared the holy crap out of me.

As far as today’s movies, “7” got my attention pretty good.

Pete

PhilNYC

Favorite Scary Movies
« Reply #23 on: 29 Oct 2005, 10:31 pm »
Quote from: zybar

CRAZY!!   :rotflmao:

:lol:

Seriously, tho...rent Vamp and watch it late at night with all the lights off after a couple of shots of something...you'll love this movie... 8)

Tweaker

Favorite Scary Movies
« Reply #24 on: 29 Oct 2005, 11:31 pm »
After thinking about it some more I would have to say that the King of scary movies, for me, was The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I saw it at a drive in when it first came out, and I know by todays standards it is pretty tame, but at the time is was truly horrific. I spent almost the entire movie wishing I was somewhere else. There were cars leaving left and right starting about the time we first met Leatherface. A scary,gutwrenching movie.

aggielaw

Favorite Scary Movies
« Reply #25 on: 2 Dec 2005, 04:40 am »
Agree with all, although there are several you guys have mentioned I haven't seen.

I really like the addition of "Prince of Darkness."  I liked the science woven in ("this is not a dream.  We are broadcasting from the year 199...)
The beaming of tachyon particles back in to time...awesome.  Not scary by today's standards, but great for its time.

All on my list are not so good by today's standards, but freaked me out as a kid:

- Phantasm

- Holloween (original - Mike Myers standing out in the open watching the house from behind the sheets on the clothesline is one of the single most frightening scenes in a movie.)

- When a Stranger Calls

- The Fog (the original version)

suits_me

Favorite Scary Movies
« Reply #26 on: 2 Dec 2005, 05:26 am »
For those who like vampire films with subtle, malevolent humor in the proper proportion for a _horror_ film (tsk, tsk,) I can suggest "Near Dark" and "Dog Soldiers" [oops, the latter is more an end of the world zombie type flick].

The first is by Bigelow before she became a hack and is the vampire film Iggy Pop would make if that's the sort of thing he did.

The second is a more recent British film. End of the world type thing with shades of Romero's themes. Not as good as "Near Dark" for my money, but fun enough.

Speaking of which I've never seen Romero's vampire film, "Martin".

(I can't remember if I posted to this thread before; hope I'm not repeating myself.)

PhilNYC

Favorite Scary Movies
« Reply #27 on: 2 Dec 2005, 06:09 am »
Quote from: suits_me
For those who like vampire films with subtle, malevolent humor in the proper proportion for a _horror_ film (tsk, tsk,) I can suggest "Near Dark"

I saw this one on Cinemax or HBO back in the late 80s or early 90s...and yeah, it's a great vampire film... :thumb:

PhilNYC

Favorite Scary Movies
« Reply #28 on: 2 Dec 2005, 06:12 am »
Quote from: Bemopti123

Prince of Darkness....by Wes Craven...

Prince of Darkness was by John Carpenter, not Wes Craven.  In fact, the official title of the film is "John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness"...

mjosef

Omen
« Reply #29 on: 2 Dec 2005, 08:24 pm »
Lots of great classic scary moments...however the one that remained with me through the years was the original Omen movie...that scene in the house where the dog is walking down the hallway still makes the hair on my neck bristle with anticipation, and also the scene where Gregory Peck was looking for the sign666 on Damien head, and of course in Greece where the photographer loses his head with that flying plane of glass...
Someone earlier mentioned High Tension, saw that recently and its a very good  suspense thriller/horror, one would never have forseen the end of the movie, just when you thought you had it figured out...highly recommended, the babe is hot too.  :oops:

Robert C. Schult

Favorite Scary Movies
« Reply #30 on: 19 Dec 2005, 05:49 pm »
Some great picks...Omen is still near the top.

Only about fifteen when I saw a fake documentary called The Legend of Boggy Creek about a furry man-like monster in the back woods of Arkansas: http://www.smokeyandthefoukemonster.com/aboutfouke.htm
Couldn't sleep for days...scared of my own shadow at night. My mother had warned my older sisters not to take me. They should have listened.

aggielaw, my fave is still Phantasm.

Steve Rothermel
Ridge Street Audio Designs

richlo

Favorite Scary Movies
« Reply #31 on: 18 Feb 2006, 02:18 am »
I havent seen anyone mention THE ENTITY but even more so - AMITYVILLE HORROR - the original...

Tweaker

Favorite Scary Movies
« Reply #32 on: 18 Feb 2006, 03:27 am »
I never saw the Amityville horror but I did read the book when it first came out. I read it in one sitting and it was scary as HELL. Especially since it was supposedly a true story. (Since debunked). I don't know if anyone has mentioned the original Dracula movie Nosferatu with the very creepy Max Schreck. A must see for horror fans. There was an excellent remake as well with Klaus Kinski as Nosferatu that will make your skin crawl.