If Diamonds are girls' best friends then....

balji

• http://www.highdefzone.us
« on: 27 Oct 2005, 10:58 pm »
Sapphires are Ours.....

Ofcourse I mean XLs.

And, I am simply understating.
I just received my XLs  along with Ca' Ira SACD (Roger Waters) so thats what I played first, when I hooked them up.

Let me add something about Roger Waters' sense of Music Engineering: At the very beginning of any Roger Waters' Album there is a musical intro(5- 10 seconds only) which would show the listeners whether their speakers are phase matched or not.

Getting back to Ca' Ira, the intro for this one, is a band marching from left to right, and this is where the XLs were proven 100% phase matched to each other as it seamed like the band was slowly marching in front of me not in a quantized fashion but as if there were about 6 to 7 steps comprising of my sound stage left to right. At no particular moment of this intro, It ever felt that there were 2 speakers generating this sonic holographic effect.

It was a wow moment. Well that was when I turned the Pink Noise on to start my breaking-in process.

More Wows coming soon........

Balji

dwk

« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2005, 11:22 pm »
Well, I'm just getting to know my XL's, but there are certainly a lot of WOW's being observed over here too.

I haven't put them through any real breakin, but I have them set up in a nearfield arrangement, and they're sounding fabulous. Expansive soundstage, sonically transparent, great extension for a 5" driver - just nothing to fault so far.  More to come from me as well as I spend more time with them.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2005, 11:52 pm »
Great stuff, and thanks a bunch for taking the time to write. I look forward to hearing more :D  . . .  and I know there are others who hope to hear more as well.

Harry P

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2005, 03:45 pm »
I'm one of those who looks forward to all you have to say about the XLs. I've yet to hear any negatives. Can they fill a large room? I'd think that would be the one area they might have trouble with given their physical size.

Harry P

« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2005, 01:42 am »
bump, well they do it on other forums :)

ajayrav

« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2005, 07:15 pm »
Harry,

This depends on your amplification, how large a room you are talking about and the listening distance. I think they will be able to fill medium to large rooms quite effectively.  These speakers put out a surprising amount of tight, tuneful bass.  If you need more oomph you could always get a sub.  However, this is one small speaker where I would say a sub was optional rather than compulsory!  These are great speakers and it is hard not to gush about their sonic attributes.

Hope this helps

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2005, 08:21 pm »
Balji or anyone else :)

Any more details on the Sapphire XLs? I'm pretty serious about upgrading from my Sapphire IIs. Just want to hear as much about the XLs as I can before deciding. Would like to take advantage of the free shipping. I just don't want to give up anything to what I already have. Thanks in advance!

balji

• http://www.highdefzone.us
« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2005, 12:08 am »
Dear Friend
I have auditoned the XLs to two friends in two different auditions so far with the following system settings: The Room Size is 13X15X9.

IRD MB 100 Monoblocks Pair
IRD Purist Preamp
Modwright Denon 3910 Universal Truth Mod DVD/CD Player

I played their Favorite CDs and both of them asked me where is the Sub-Woofer? The Cabinet Design is amazing and when Mr. Dzurko says its the culmination of the design efforts for Sapphire, I take that to be literally true.
When I removed the grill and showed them the 5.25" driver, I pointed at it and said here is the Sub-Woofer that you are looking for.

The next question they asked me was about the Talismans, which are in the Home Theater Demo Room. The question was about the Price. When I told them Tals cost around $4K and Sapphires around $1.7K, they asked me why are these speakers and some others in the Audiophile Market so expensive.

My response was:

My Friends, The Material in these speakers might not be very expensive(which is not true in the case of XLs), but its the Cabinet Design and the Cross-over Design that the designer has researched for over 20 years and perfected it, so that People can listen to Pure Music and Home Theater sounds. But Tals and XLs can easily qualify for at least twice their current price(I hope Mike doesn't take this opinion as an advice :nono: )

Another Experiment:

Before I got into this business, I had 27" CRT TV. My wife and I watched a lot of movies together with 5.1 Surround Sound(with Sapphires 1995 version as Front L/R and Denon 3802 receiver), and the impact the movies left upon both of us was so deep that the huge surround sound completely overshadowed the fact that we were watching a 27" screen.

Then there were times when I was setting up my Home Theater Room with a 50" Philips Plasma, when I replaced eveything with New Demo Stuff for Showroom and hadn't connected the AV-Receiver yet, We watched some movies without the 5.1 Sound but on a big screen, Now, here the Big Screen couldn't overshadow the absence of Dolby Digital Sound. The movies seemed boring.

So the Moral of the Story is Big Sound does wonders even with small Screens but the Vice-Versa is not true.

There is definitely a huge benefit in owning Sapphire XLs which is the WAF.
The Wife Acceptancy Factor. For XLs this factor is off the charts for me whereas for the old Sapphires it never touched the 100% line, no disrespect for Mike here, the Old Sapphire Designs are part of good ACI History now.

I think the review is getting too long here. I will add more some other time if there are more questions.

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2005, 08:45 pm »
Balji;

Quite a write up, I thank you! I'm not too worried about the bass performance of the XLs as I have a pair of Titan subs to handle the bottom end. I use the 80HZ passive filters. The areas that are most important to me are imaging and overall quality of midrange to treble. Have you had a chance to compare your XLs to any "big" names like Thiel, B&W, etc?  Again, thanks, I think I need to get a loan against the money I hope to get for Christmas :)