Very cheap upgrade for the D-200 amps.

Charles Calkins

« on: 25 Oct 2005, 03:04 am »
Don't know why but this post didn't get on the circle the first time so here goes again.

When I decided to give the D-200 amps a try I sent email to people who were using them and to get some feedback. freejazz has an outstanding audio system and he was using the D-100 amps. When I contaced him he had switched over to the D-200 amps and highly recommend them. Thank you freejazz!!!. He also said that Dusty(Of CIA) thought the Volex power cords were a better match for the D-200 amps. So for a total of $23.09 american money I decided to give them a shot.

Well guys this is the best investment of $23.09 I have spent. Everything sounds a lot better than with the stock power cords. I especially notice it in that frequency that I hear piano playback. Keiko Matsui is one of my favorite artistes and her piano playback is the best I ever heard in my audio system. It was very good with the stock power cords out of the box but is much better now with the El Cheapo!! Volex power cords.

So Freejazz:
 Thanks very much for the info.

And Hey Dusty!!
   How did you find out about these El Cheapo power cords. They sure are an unknown gem.

Cheers
  Charlie

Gordy

« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2005, 03:37 am »

CIAudio

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2005, 04:29 am »
I've been using these cords for many years (formerly Belden) before Volex...I believe Volex took over the power cord division and Belden just deals with bulk wire now.

I did find about about Carlton-Bates on one of the audio forums. Their price is about half of Mouser, which is a screamin deal  :)

dhiebert

• http://darrenhiebert.com
« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2005, 05:18 pm »
Quote from: CIAudio
I did find about about Carlton-Bates on one of the audio forums. Their price is about half of Mouser, which is a screamin deal  :)

Dusty,

Since the Volex cords are only $4 in quantity (6 or more), which aren't you just including them with your amps? They can't hardly be much more than the standard-issue Chinese cords that are already included.

CIAudio

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2005, 08:17 pm »
Since the Volex cords are only $4 in quantity (6 or more), which aren't you just including them with your amps? They can't hardly be much more than the standard-issue Chinese cords that are already included.

Simply because we can't find a supplier that provide 500+ cables a month.
We're still working on it so it may happen in the future.

maxwalrath

« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2005, 08:19 pm »
Simply because we can find a supplier that provide 500+ cables a month.

crap...congrats on your volume!

dhiebert

• http://darrenhiebert.com
Hoy Cow!
« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2005, 08:30 pm »
Good Heavens! I wouldn't have imagined that your volume was anywhere near that (and that probably doesn't even count the VPP•1 or the VDA•1, since they don't have a 120V power cord)! And all without paid advertising, isn't it?

I am impressed that I received the personal attention that I have experienced when I called or wrote.

Congratulations on your success!

Darren

CIAudio

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2005, 09:28 pm »
Don't get me wrong...we're not selling 500 amplifiers a month, but we have several products and would only stock one type of cord that works well with all of them.
When you're a manufacturer, having vendors that can supply a steady stream of parts is very important. So for now, just be happy that we pointed you in the right direction instead of trying to sell you some $300 designer cords. :D

BradJudy

« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2005, 09:50 pm »
So for now, just be happy that we pointed you in the right direction instead of trying to sell you some $300 designer cords. :D

Think of the money you could have made by charging $100 for Volex cords covered in TechFlex.   :D

Charles Calkins

« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2005, 09:55 pm »
I'm always looking for something good and cheap. Any bargins out there like the Volex cords?

Cheers
                      Charlie

Freejazz

I am so glad you are pleased Charlie!
« Reply #10 on: 26 Oct 2005, 01:40 am »
This is such a personal and subjective hobby that it is gratifying when others enjoy a product as much as have you.  I am so glad you are pleased with the D-200s Charlie.

I am also glad you tried Dusty's recommended Volex cords and found them to your liking.  As I noted, I spent about 45 times as much for what was probably only a slight upgrade in sound!

Again, thank you for your kind sentiments!

Enjoy the Music!

Scott

Psychicanimal

« Reply #11 on: 26 Oct 2005, 11:20 am »
So for now, just be happy that we pointed you in the right direction instead of trying to sell you some $300 designer cords. :D

Ahhh!  Got to love this guy--in spite of his temper!!! :rotflmao:

CIAudio

« Reply #12 on: 26 Oct 2005, 02:35 pm »
Ahhh! Got to love this guy--in spite of his temper!!!

Opinionated and sarcastic maybe, but very even-tempered  :wink:

claud

« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2005, 03:21 pm »
Speaking of designer powercords, don't you recomend the Harmonic Tech powercord? I don't think you ever said which one and what it does for your amps. For those of us that might be interested in a better performing cord than the Volex, some of us would like this info. I know you are busy with your show prep, but I'll wait. By that time I'll have those D-100s you sent me.

HumanMedia

« Reply #14 on: 13 Mar 2006, 04:08 am »
Any other power cords people recommend for the D100/D200's?
(Yes I know about the volex)

And is the general consensus for shielded cords over a non shielded?

How about the VH Audio Stuff?

And the Acrolink and Tunami (sic) (which has three levels of shielding)?

gme109

« Reply #15 on: 14 Mar 2006, 02:03 am »
Quote from: HumanMedia
Any other power cords people recommend for the D100/D200's?
(Yes I know about the volex)

And is the general consensus for shielded cords over a non shielded?

How about the VH Audio Stuff?

And the Acrolink and Tunami (sic) (which has three levels of shielding)?

I'm using the Virtual Dynamics Nite I power cords and they are doing an outstanding job. Look for used on Audiogon.

mfsoa

« Reply #16 on: 14 Mar 2006, 04:43 am »
If the Volex 17604 is the 2m grounded 3-pin cable, what is the corresonding part # for the ungrounded 2-pin IEC such as found in cd players, etc.?

I was hoping to pick a few up when I get some 17604s.

Thanks

kfr01

« Reply #17 on: 14 Mar 2006, 05:02 am »

The fact that you don't try to sell some $300 designer cords is probably one of the many reasons you have one of the highest levels of respect of any growing audio company....

Gordy

« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2006, 05:05 am »
Quote from: mfsoa
If the Volex 17604 is the 2m grounded 3-pin cable, what is the corresonding part # for the ungrounded 2-pin IEC such as found in cd players, etc.?

I was hoping to pick a few up when I get some 17604s.

Thanks

I just checked both Carlton-Bates and Mouser, neither carries a 2 conductor Volex... sorry!

Gordy

« Reply #19 on: 14 Mar 2006, 07:11 am »