New Squeezebox is out and looking great!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« on: 25 Oct 2005, 12:18 am »
All,

The new Squeezebox (SB3?) can be seen on www.slimdevices.com.

I'll report my findings and modification plans as soon as I receive mine and take a look inside  8)

Regards,

jermmd

« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2005, 12:24 am »
The third-generation Squeezebox has a completely redesigned form factor and is functionally identical to Squeezebox2. No need to upgrade for most of us. They are also offering $100 off if you buy 2. Anyone interested in a power buy?

Joe M

ekovalsky

« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2005, 02:36 am »
Definitely a huge improvement in cosmetics.  Looks like the took some styling cues from the Roku Soundbridge.

I'm anxious to get one of these.  Hopefully there will be a mod to maximize the digital output to make this a first class transport.

mr_bill

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2005, 02:54 am »
How does it pick up internet radio with you PC off?
Does it hook up wirelessly by itself to your router (linksys) and do it?
Bill

randytsuch

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2005, 02:59 am »
Quote from: jermmd
The third-generation Squeezebox has a completely redesigned form factor and is functionally identical to Squeezebox2. No need to upgrade for most of us. They are also offering $100 off if you buy 2. Anyone interested in a power buy?

Joe M

They also talk about quantity discounts for buys of more than 5.

I have been thinking about getting one, who else is looking for one?

Randy

mr_bill

« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2005, 03:03 am »
I would be interested.
Bill

GBB

« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2005, 03:05 am »
I've been thinking about picking up a couple.  Do you know how much more they take off if one buys 5?
---Gary

viggen

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2005, 03:10 am »
I am warming up to the squeezebox.  I really like the faux VU meters.

Vinnie, I know you've been swapping the BurrBrowns in your mods.  However, do you think you would be able to install a non-os dac in instead?

jswallac

« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2005, 03:11 am »
I'd also be interested in the quantity discount.

maxwalrath

« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2005, 03:27 am »
I might be interested provided they can be modded just as well.

randytsuch

« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2005, 04:15 am »
Quote from: maxwalrath

After posting about the quantity discount, I saw a post by Wayne saying the old squeezebox II would be better for modding, it has more room inside for the coupling caps.

So, I might end up getting the II instead.

Randy

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2005, 10:05 am »
Quote from: randytsuch
Quote from: maxwalrath

After posting about the quantity discount, I saw a post by Wayne saying the old squeezebox II would be better for modding, it has more room inside for the coupling caps.

So, I might end up getting the II instead.

Randy

All,

As stated on the Slim Devices Forum by CEO Sean Adams:

Quote from: Sean Adams

SB3 has 99.9% the same circuitry and measures identically to SB2 on the standard DAC tests (THD, noise floor, etc).
The change to use a linear reg for the 3.3 rail improves jitter measurements, but it's already so close to measurable limits for the equipment I have that it's getting hard to quantify.

For those who don't care as much about the cosmetics, I believe the remaining SB2s are on sale  :wink:  

Hi randytsuch,

I'll research the cap upgrade and will post details as soon as possible.  

Hi Viggen,

I don't believe the current Burr-Brown dac can be easily swapped with a non os dac (totally different pin outs).  The easiest way to use a non os dac is via the digital output.  

***and one more thing... doesn't the new SB3 remind you guys a little bit of the Sharp EX-111?   :scratch:

Regards,

jermmd

« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2005, 12:56 pm »
I will contact Slim Devices about a quantity discount. I will also ask about the availability of SB2's and SB3's. If you are interested in a power buy, hold off buying until I find out what can be done. It would be worth it if we can save some money.  Maybe Vinnie and Wayne would be interested in a Power buy for there mods? :wink:
Also, I'm crazy busy right now. If someone else has a connection with Slim Devices or someone has interest in coordinating this power buy, that would be great. Maybe we could have the quantity sent to Wayne and Vinnie directly for mods and then to each of us. Just thoughts. If anyone else has any thoughts, let me know.

I'll start a new thread with SB powerbuy title after I get some details.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 25 Oct 2005, 01:15 pm »
I will contact Slim Devices about a quantity discount. I will also ask about the availability of SB2's and SB3's. If you are interested in a power buy, hold off buying until I find out what can be done. It would be worth it if we can save some money.  Maybe Vinnie and Wayne would be interested in a Power buy for there mods? :wink:
Also, I'm crazy busy right now. If someone else has a connection with Slim Devices or someone has interest in coordinating this power buy, that would be great. Maybe we could ha ...

Hi jermmd,

I think this is a great idea, and I'll ask Slim about a power buy discount as well as any manufacturer discount that they may offer.  I would then pass the savings of the stock SB2 or SB3 to those who are interested in mods.  

If there is an interest in a power buy for mods, I'm game!  :wink:   Let's get details from Slim Devices first.  

Thanks for all your interest,

Vinnie

jermmd

« Reply #14 on: 25 Oct 2005, 01:30 pm »
Vinnie,

That's great. The ball is in your court now. I'm definitely in.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #15 on: 25 Oct 2005, 01:30 pm »
As per the Slim Device website, the SB2 is being discontinued. Vinnie should find out ASAP if theres enough room in the SB3 to do the proper mods. My buying decision will be influanced by Vinnies' findings. I'm in on a group/power/manufacture buy when Vinnie gives the nod.    8)

polishpowerlifter

power buy
« Reply #16 on: 25 Oct 2005, 01:35 pm »
Im in too ....if it flies...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #17 on: 25 Oct 2005, 01:54 pm »
Also, I'm crazy busy right now. If someone else has a connection with Slim Devices or someone has interest in coordinating this power buy, that would be great. Maybe we could ha ...

I asked about group discounts and they were very small.

We would probably be better served by doing it all on AC and just going with the $100 off when you order two units promotion they are currently running.

george

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
« Reply #18 on: 25 Oct 2005, 02:43 pm »
Even at full price, the Squeezebox is a bargain.  I am just thrilled at the performance I am squeezing (no pun intended) out of an SB2 with only a few tweaks.  I can't imagine how much better it must be with Vinnie's mods. Of course I hope to find out soon.

Not only that, I don't even have to get up off of my couch to listen to my entire CD collection!

This thing is way, way fun!  Get off the fence! 8)

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #19 on: 25 Oct 2005, 05:06 pm »
Quote from: zybar
I asked about group discounts and they were very small.

We would probably be better served by doing it all on AC and just going with the $100 off when you order two units promotion they are currently running.

george

All,

George is correct, as I found out.  The biggest discount going on right now is the $100 off of two SB3 units (promotion ends Dec. 1st).

I asked Slim Devices about $200 off of four SB3 units.  In order to get this, I need to make two separate orders.  If I were to order six units, I would have to make three separate orders, etc.

I'm now trying to gauge how much of an interest there is for RWA mods for the new SB3s.  I need to check out the SB3 once they ship (I believe they are shipping out on November 1st).  I am fairly confident that I can implement all the mods that I perform on the SB2.  The Auricap mod *might* be tricky, but I'll do whatever it takes to make it happen.  If the upgraded cap cannot fit in the unit, how about terminals on the back to install the coupling cap of your choice?  (naturally I'd start you off with Auricaps  :wink: )  Kind of like tube rolling, but with caps.  :wink:  Just an idea, and I wouldn't charge extra.  In fact, I plan to keep all the pricing the same for the SB2 and SB3 mods.

Note, if there is enough interest (lets say at least 5) in having the new SB3s shipped directly to me for mods, I'd be willing to offer a limited-time discount (up until Dec 1st when the Slim Devices $100 off discount for the SB3s is over).  How does a $100 discount sound?  As long as I can mod a bunch in an aseembly line, it would save me time and I can extend such a discount.

As always, I greatly appreciate your interest, feedback, and support.

Regards,