hook up wire for Hypex amps

carlos spud

• http://www.steamlineaudio.com
« on: 24 Oct 2005, 03:38 pm »
Hi Kevin i am wondering  what product do u recommend to  hook up the hypex amps? do u guys have a nice sheilded single strand connection wire?
Cheers, Carlos

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2005, 03:55 pm »
I'm currently using the Hypex wire because they include the little slip-on connector.   It's a shielded pre-made contraption that Jan-Peter makes up for the modules.   It's not cheap so I looked at a way to build them myself.   After checking parts cost and the labor I decided that Jan-Peter is charging a reasonable amount and I've stuck to using the Hypex stock units which are shielded etc...

I don't have them on the web site yet as I'm waiting to build up my inventory but they cost about $9.50 each.  Let me know if you need a couple.

carlos spud

• http://www.steamlineaudio.com
quick response!!!
« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2005, 04:11 pm »
WOW thanx Kevin! i should have been more clear.... the non molex connector wire is what i need actually got any ideas? :mrgreen:

Kevin Haskins

Re: quick response!!!
« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2005, 05:02 pm »
Quote from: carlos spud
WOW thanx Kevin! i should have been more clear.... the non molex connector wire is what i need actually got any ideas? :mrgreen:

For general purpose signal wire I like to use the Canare L-4E6S which is shielded and uses a star-quad configuration for a little extra noise rejection.  

I've used the Cardas 2 x 23.5 (and 4 x 23.5) but it requires a extra work to tin the coated wires.   I've not done any extensive A/B listening test as it's pretty much impossible to do without a LOT of work.    In my experience the couple inches of wire on the input doesn't make that much difference unless you are using something that is inappropriate for the application in the first place.

For speaker wire I use the Canare product also.   I like to strip and cut the 4S11 and use the 14AWG stranded wire in power & speaker output applications.   Once again, you could use the Cardas chassis wire for this application but you have to tin it with a solder pot.   I use the Canare in all my projects because it is cheaper, easier to work with and I don't hear a difference in these small lengths inside the chassis unless I use something inappropriate for the job.