SP-2 Upgrade Options and Availability?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #140 on: 18 Jan 2006, 05:22 pm »
Hi Matt,

We hope to be able to start offering the upgrades at the end of February.

james

Corbin Johnson

« Reply #141 on: 24 Jan 2006, 03:31 am »
I was disappointed to just learn that the SP 2 does not have the same upsampling DAC as the BP 26.  I was thinking of purchasing an SP 2 based on the reviews of the BP 26 with DAC for 2 channel music, believing the two had the same DAC and analog bypass mode for 2 channel.  I'm still on the fence, but I think the ideal product for me would be a BP 26 with DAC, plus additional 5.1 inputs and outputs for multi channel music and home theater.  I'm content to let my universal player do the decoding for movies, which is not as critical to me as 2 channel audio.  Any chance of a product like this in the future?

Corbin Johnson

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #142 on: 24 Jan 2006, 12:43 pm »
HI Corbin,

No the SP2's digital board is optimized for Surround and there is no reclocking. The analog pass-through is the same as the BP26.

The thing to remember about ALL our DAC's including the SP2 is that the feature that sets them apart is the Class A Discrete output amplifiers after the DAC. The excellent sound quality has much more to do with that than the reclocking at the input.

The other option you would have Corbin is that we will be coming out with an outboard STEREO DAC in about 2 months and you could use that with the SP2 in Bypass if you wanted.

james

Corbin Johnson

« Reply #143 on: 24 Jan 2006, 07:29 pm »
Jim,

Thanks for the info.  I'll most likely go with the SP2 (or used SP 1.7 since surround sound advancements mean little to me) and try the DAC.  If my friends BelCanto DAC2 sounds better, then I'll opt for the forthcoming Bryston DAC.  Based on what I've heard from others, the Bryston DAC should sound at least as good as the BelCanto, but will be a better visual match to the clean simple look of the Bryston Processor.

Corbin

MOZ

Upgrading in France
« Reply #144 on: 23 Feb 2006, 05:10 pm »
Hi James,

I'm really pleased to get your answers when you are contacted by mail !

As you know, i'm awaiting for my retailer, here in France, to tell me "you can give me" your SP 1.7 to get the SP 2 upgrade, but, as i read here... will it have to go to canada or will he be able to do the upgrade by himself ?

Will the SP 1.7 =) to SP 2... feature the same BP 26 matching sound (as the SP 1.7 is told to be equivalent to the BP 25 only) ?

Then, last, as many owners here i think, i would really like to have a parametric EQ option (the AUDYSSEY one !!!)... not "too" far in the futur !

Anyway, your pre/pro is just wonderful, music sounds like music and i thank you for this ! :mrgreen:

Oliver

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #145 on: 23 Feb 2006, 05:17 pm »
Hi Oliver,

We are starting the upgrades from the SP1 or SP1.7 to the SP2 in 2 weeks. It will have to come back to Canada. The Digital section and the micro-processing section all get replaced.

Yes the Bypass section will be the same as the BP26 (without the MPS2 power supply of course)

The EQ thing we will look at in about 3 months.

james

MOZ

« Reply #146 on: 23 Feb 2006, 05:24 pm »
That is good news...
The person who takes care of my HT was wondering witch way will he be able to do the correction with the EQ thing (he's got a PC, pro special software and material for this)... ?

Oliver

mv038856

« Reply #147 on: 7 Mar 2006, 09:43 pm »
Hi James!

I just read the upgrade announcement on the Bryston web site and was a little disappointed that - in contrast to the statements in this thread - the upgrade from the SP-1 won't include the SP-1.7 face plate.

Is this a typing error?

Since the two version do not share exact the same handling concept (e.g. the MODE button), the wrong labeling on the SP-1 front would be misleading. Or would you change the labeling? Since I wanted to change color from silver to black, this could considerably increase the cost of the upgrade...  :?

Does the upgrade from the SP-1 include the SP-1.7 remote control?

Can you please clarify this?

Thanks and Cheers from Germany

Markus

MOZ

« Reply #148 on: 8 Mar 2006, 08:19 am »
I was told by my retailer in France that the face plate of the SP2 was optionnal with extra money... if you upgrade from SP1 or SP 1.7
Is that right James ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #149 on: 8 Mar 2006, 11:58 am »
Quote from: MOZ
I was told by my retailer in France that the face plate of the SP2 was optionnal with extra money... if you upgrade from SP1 or SP 1.7
Is that right James ?

Hi Moz,

No the faceplate is not optional because the style of all the buttons and knobs on the front of the SP2 C-Series are different than theSP1/SP1.7. They are also recessed and it would not be cost effective to change all of them.

james

MOZ

« Reply #150 on: 8 Mar 2006, 12:07 pm »
Thanks a lot, i'll tell him...
MOZ

joey116

« Reply #151 on: 8 Mar 2006, 01:10 pm »
James...... "mv038856" raised a couple of points a few messages back, the
the answers would be of interest to me also, before I consider upgrading my SP1
Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #152 on: 8 Mar 2006, 03:28 pm »
Quote from: mv038856
Hi James!

I just read the upgrade announcement on the Bryston web site and was a little disappointed that - in contrast to the statements in this thread - the upgrade from the SP-1 won't include the SP-1.7 face plate.

Is this a typing error?

Since the two version do not share exact the same handling concept (e.g. the MODE button), the wrong labeling on the SP-1 front would be misleading. Or would you change the labeling? Since I wanted to change color from silver to black, this could considerably i ...

Hi Markus,

Yes the SP1 to the SP2 includes the new Remote and a new Backboard. I am still looking into what we will do on the labelling on the faceplate.

james

mv038856

« Reply #153 on: 8 Mar 2006, 04:50 pm »
Quote from: James Tanner
Hi Markus,

Yes the SP1 to the SP2 includes the new Remote and a new Backboard. I am still looking into what we will do on the labelling on the faceplate.

james

James,

thanks for the quick reply!

Would the price of C$275 resp. US$200 that was listed for a face plate color change on the SP-1 to SP-1.7 upgrade still valid?

Thanks

Markus

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #154 on: 8 Mar 2006, 04:54 pm »
Hi - Not sure on that but I will check what is possible.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #155 on: 9 Mar 2006, 12:51 pm »
Quote from: mv038856
Hi James!

Is this a typing error?

Since the two version do not share exact the same handling concept (e.g. the MODE button), the wrong labeling on the SP-1 front would be misleading. Or would you change the labeling? Since I wanted to change color from silver to black, this could considerably i ...

Hi Markus,

Had a meeting yesterday and we are going to Refinish the faceplate on any SP1 or SP1.7 upgrade to the SP2 to reflect the appropriate changes in the labelling you mentioned (THX, Dolby, DTS logos, buttons etc.). We are also going to indicate on the faceplate with small lettering the upgrade. Example - SP1.7 ^ SP2.

We will also offer a faceplate colour change for $300 Canadian and $250 US.

Thanks for your input on this.

james

Kevin Brown

« Reply #156 on: 10 Mar 2006, 01:38 am »
I just found out about this forum.  Cool.  (Had a 4B-ST for a while, and then a 5B-ST with an 8B-ST in the past.  I guess I don't need to say that, "Bryston makes some awesome stuff."  :) )

I really like the idea of an HT pre/pro without any video stuff.  I have gone through the thread.  Some questions though:

1) I don't see any mention of DPL IIx?  How does the SP-2 handle a 5.1 source (DTS, DD) if I want to use 7.1 channels?

2) Is there any way on the display to see what the source resolution is?  16/44.1, 20/48, 24/96, bit rate of DD and DTS DVDs, etc.

3) Any comments on "lock on delay" for CDs?  (I've had 2 prior pre/pros that had problems with this.  You put a new CD in the player, and the pre/pro cuts off the 1st part of the song until it locks on to the signal.)

4) Did I understand this correctly from the manual: only 5.1 balanced outs to the amp(s)?  I'd have to use RCA connections for the rears in a 7.1 system?

5) No digital record out (optical or coax)?

6) Does it have dual differential DACs?

I'd also like to see an EQ feature.  Low freq stuff for the sub.  Probably not going to happen, but I'd much rather see i.Link offered than HDMI.  But I know I'm in the minority there.  :)

MOZ

« Reply #157 on: 10 Mar 2006, 09:02 am »
Quote from: Kevin Brown
Probably not going to happen, but I'd much rather see i.Link offered than HDMI. But I know I'm in the minority there.

No you're not, i would also much prefer I-link (better jitter !)
It's got more sense with the "audio only" way of the pre/pro... and HDMI would go with the SPV2 :)

Kevin Brown

« Reply #158 on: 11 Mar 2006, 01:40 am »
Yes: better jitter!  :)  Actually, "jitterless".  HDMI can not be jitterless, whereas i.Link can be, if the clocks are sync'ed between the player and the pre/pro.

Kevin Brown

« Reply #159 on: 22 Mar 2006, 01:23 am »
Quote from: Kevin Brown
Some questions though:

1) I don't see any mention of DPL IIx? How does the SP-2 handle a 5.1 source (DTS, DD) if I want to use 7.1 channels?

2) Is there any way on the display to see what the source resolution is? 16/44.1, 20/48, 24/96, bit rate of DD and DTS DVDs, etc.

3) Any comments on "lock on delay" for CDs? (I've had 2 prior pre/pros that had problems with this. You put a new CD in the player, and the pre/pro cuts off the 1st part of the song until it locks on to the signal.)

6) Does it have dual differential DACs?

??