SP-2 Upgrade Options and Availability?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #100 on: 14 Dec 2005, 12:45 am »
Hi,

Yes as long as we had one in stock we could change it for you.

james

akopperl

« Reply #101 on: 14 Dec 2005, 03:27 am »
Does the SP2 have a 5.1 or 7.1 analog input?  If only 5.1 - what is the plan to accomodate the new surround sound formats from the HD DVD and Blu Ray discs?

Thanks,

Anthony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #102 on: 14 Dec 2005, 11:32 am »
Hi Anthony,

HD-DVD and Blu-ray (if they materialize) will be HDMI connections
If version 3 of HDMI (mid 2006 they say) sees the light of day hopefully it will carry audio and video.

SP2 has 5.1 passthrough = DVD-A surround and SACD Surround is 5.1 not 7.1

james

Phil A

« Reply #103 on: 14 Dec 2005, 03:06 pm »
James, being that HDMI may be carrying the audio and video and the SP-2 has no video circuitry, does this mean that if HDMI does carry audio, taking the audio+video HDMI output from a Blu-Ray or HD DVD player into the SP-2 will not be possible?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #104 on: 14 Dec 2005, 03:48 pm »
Hi Phil.

We would use the HDMI connector to carry the audio only and then just loop it though the SP2 and out to a video switcher.

james

perose

« Reply #105 on: 14 Dec 2005, 04:38 pm »
Hi Phil.

We would use the HDMI connector to carry the audio only and then just loop it though the SP2 and out to a video switcher.

james

James

Would it be better or even possible to route it from the switcher to the SP2 then on to the monitor? In that way any HDMI source would be switched by the external switcher. I think that your first proposal would require the SP2 to implement a switcher for the different sources.

Just a thought.
The other Phil :-)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #106 on: 14 Dec 2005, 05:15 pm »
OK - I will check that option out.

james

Phil A

« Reply #107 on: 14 Dec 2005, 06:54 pm »
Quote from: James Tanner
Hi Phil.

james

Thanks James - that would make sense for those of us who like to hook the video up directly to the TV w/o going thru a switcher or to an A/B selecting device.

charl

« Reply #108 on: 15 Dec 2005, 07:50 pm »
James, firstly as a new member here I want to thank you for taking the time to present the 'inside' info and reliable answers to our never-ending stream of requests.

With reference to nicholasb's earlier question - will the upgrade include a new display for the SP1.7?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #109 on: 15 Dec 2005, 08:49 pm »
Hi charl,

I have been looking into the display issue and it appears it could be done but it would take some software and hardware changes.

So we will have to look at this in the future and see what cost would be invloved in offering it.

james

mv038856

« Reply #110 on: 17 Dec 2005, 02:36 pm »
Hi James!

I was reading the press release and was thinking about the "internal upgrade" which already has been mentioned in this forum a few times before.

Being a proud owner of a SP-1 PRO in silver, I was wondering whether there are technical reasons for not changing the front with this upgrade or whether the reasons are rather, let's say, of political nature. Political in a sense that Bryston want's only a completely new SP-2 to look like a C-Series SP-2 (rather driving sales of the NEW product than the less profitable upgrade  :?: ).

The reason why I am asking is that having the SP-1 to SP-1.7 upgrade in mind, the back of my SP-1 PRO would have to be changed anyway when upgrading to a SP-1.7/SP-2. Since I want to change the color from silver to black, the front would have to be changed as well. Another good reason for changing the front panel when upgrading the SP-1 is the change of concept (in terms of handling) that came with the SP-1.7. The labeling of a SP-1 simply doesn't describe the function of the buttons of a SP-1.7/SP-2.

So, when changing the front anyway, why not change it to a SP-2 right away? The basic design - in terms of "which button is where" - didn't change. Only the power and late night buttons changed from toggle to push buttons, which shouldn't be that complicated to be included in an upgrade, which has to be done by qualified and authorized service personnel anyway!?

BTW, thanks for answering all the questions raised here in the forum, even if - from time to time - the questions might not really be "comfortable"...  :wink:

Cheers from Stuttgart, Germany

Markus

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #111 on: 17 Dec 2005, 02:47 pm »
Hi Markus,

From a marketing standpoint I guess it would make sense to have the SP2 remain distinctive but that was not the reason.

The toggels have to get changed but we also went to a new button - same as the ones on the B100 SST. There are soldered directly to the front panel circuit board and changing all of them would be very labor (costly) intensive. Also the C-Series faceplate mounts a little differently to the chassis so a chassis change/modification would be an issue.

The LCD display is not going to be changed at this point because it means having to rewrite the software to accomodate it in the upgrade as well as having to change the mounting hardware. It may be something we look at in the future once the dust has settled.

Remember too that we are trying to keep these upgrades at as low a cost as possible for our customers so providing the 'performance' of the SP2 at the lowest possible cost was an important consideration for us.

james

mv038856

« Reply #112 on: 17 Dec 2005, 03:27 pm »
Hi James!

Thanks for the quick relpy!

O.k., you convinced me...  :)

So an upgrade for my SP-1 PRO to the SP-2 PRO would include

- the new digital board, containing the TI Aureus DSP and the A/D and D/A converters
- the new control processor board for faster switching without "blobs" and "thuds"
- the SP-1.7 PRO back panel with the two additional RCA 7.1 output connectors and the 5.1 input connectors
- the SP-1.7 front panel
- the SP-1.7 remote control (with more buttons than the SP-1 remote)

If I remember correctly, a color change from silver to black or vice versa traditionally qualifies for an additional charge. Is this still the case? I wouldn't mind keeping the black push buttons. Only the volume and balance knobs would have to be changed additionally to the front panel itself, which already is part of the standard upgrade.

Would the SP-1.7 front panel in a SP-1 PRO to SP-2 PRO upgrade read "SP-1.7" or would it be labeled "SP-2" (as shown in the SP-2 manual...?)

Cheers

Markus

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #113 on: 17 Dec 2005, 03:36 pm »
HI Markus,

Yes to your list except we do not have the software written for the Pro unit yet - the AES/EBU function -shpuld be available early in January.

Then front panel would say SP1.7 if  changed.

The cost of the knobs would be about $100 US

By the way we will not be doing upgrades until about mid-January.

james

Phil A

« Reply #114 on: 17 Dec 2005, 03:58 pm »
Quote from: mv038856
Hi James!

Thanks for the quick relpy!

O.k., you convinced me...  :)

So an upgrade for my SP-1 PRO to the SP-2 PRO would include

- the new digital board, containing the TI Aureus DSP and the A/D and D/A converters
- the new control processor board for faster switching without "blobs" and "thuds"
- the SP-1.7 PRO back panel with the two additional RCA 7.1 output connectors and the 5.1 input connectors
- the SP-1.7 front panel
- the SP-1.7 remote control (with more buttons than the SP-1 remote ...

I have an SP1.7 Pro (in black) so if you need pictures let me know.  The front panel is the same as the SP1.7.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #115 on: 17 Dec 2005, 05:41 pm »
Hi Phil,

Picture of the SP2?

The SP1.7 will look identical after the upgrade.

james

mv038856

« Reply #116 on: 18 Dec 2005, 04:11 pm »
Hi James!

Quote from: James Tanner
By the way we will not be doing upgrades until about mid-January.

Does this mean that the components for the upgrade are available mid-January or only that you at Bryston, Canada will have the resouces to actually do upgrades starting mid-January? Since I want my SP-1 PRO to be upgraded at Sun Audio in Munich here in Germany (where I can get the precious piece of equipment in person :) ), one would have to distinguish... then again, since the PRO software isn't ready until January, I will have to wait anyway. Holding onto "anticipation is the greatest pleasure", I will survive the upcoming weeks...  8)

@ Phil A: Thanks for the offer! Since the SP-1.7 panel differs only in the labeling, I can figure out the looks watching my SP-1 (PRO)... Turning off the lights it's even black...  :lol:

Cheers!

Markus

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #117 on: 18 Dec 2005, 05:05 pm »
Hi Markus,

Yes I would say the end of January before we have the Pro software.

james

Bob15

« Reply #118 on: 3 Jan 2006, 01:23 pm »
Well, has anyone gotten the new SP2 yet?
I guess are they shipping?

Jason Nugent

« Reply #119 on: 3 Jan 2006, 02:33 pm »
Mine was supposed to ship last week.  With the holiday and everything, I'm not sure if it has arrived at the dealer yet.