Reference 9 - The Absolute Sound Editor's Choice Award 2005

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
It should be in the next issue. That's all we know. We heard the full review might be in the January issue due to publishing dateline.
We are very happy :D  :thankyou:  :beer:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2005, 06:00 am »
Congratulations!
Are you ready for the big time?? Looks like it may be just around the corner.
Russell

trekker

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2005, 12:52 pm »
Looking forward to reading the review.

kyyuan

Re: Reference 9 - The Absolute Sound Editor's Choice Award 2
« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2005, 12:56 pm »
Quote from: nuforce-jason
It should be in the next issue. That's all we know. We heard the full review might be in the January issue due to publishing dateline.

Congratulations.  Very well done, especially given how young your company is.

Ken

gostan

« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2005, 01:11 pm »
Jason and all at NuForce- a hearty congratulations for all of your hard work.  You might think about increasing production capabilities sooner than later.

I cannot wait for my January TAS to arrive.

Stan

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2005, 02:06 pm »
Cool!  Can we announce this on our own web sites?

audiojerry

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2005, 02:22 pm »
Congratulations indeed! And to accomplish this without being a TAS advertiser? What do the cynics have to say about that?

I guess I will have to revisit the Nuforce to see if things have changed since I posted my observations back in April: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=18583.msg163339#163339&highlight=nuforce#163339

giannettino

Re: Reference 9 - The Absolute Sound Editor's Choice Award 2
« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2005, 02:28 pm »
Quote from: nuforce-jason

BRAVISSIMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer:  :notworthy:  :notworthy:  :notworthy:

Gianni

William Crane

• Industry Participant
    • http://cranehometheater.com/
« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2005, 07:43 pm »
Audiojerry,

If you still are in the SFV, please stop by for a demo. The 70W NuForce was a great little, clean sounding amp but couldn't always compete with $10 amps. NuForce has made significant improvements and the current line is much enhanced. Also I should have some loaner amps in soon which I would be glad to have you try out.  I don't know if they will change your mind about non-tube amps, but if any amp can it is the NuForce. :D

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2005, 05:21 am »
Congratulations indeed! And to accomplish this without being a TAS advertiser? What do the cynics have to say about that?
I guess I will have to revisit the Nuforce to see if things have changed since I posted my observations back in April"

Correction: we are a very small advertiser with TAS. Stereophile is also doing a review on Ref 8b. I can tell you that they don't base their good opinion on whether we're an advertiser or not. At least that's our experience with Chris. Our ad $ is so small that I don't think it can win us any award :).  We're at the bottom of the list in terms of ad spending  :o  I think in general, as with many other audio magazines and websites, advertisers get priority with getting their products to the reviewer, but that's all you get.  Well, that's our experience anyway. That's fair.

Jerry, I know you want more power. You are in for a surprise with Ref 9  :lol:

KJ

« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2005, 06:07 am »
Jerry and I are trying to hook up when his schedule permits since he is local.  Hopefully, he can post his thoughts on what differences he notices compared to his initial review.  We'll leave him with some standard Reference 9s, but I'd like to bring over my pair as well which have the premium package.

-KJ

audiojerry

« Reply #11 on: 20 Oct 2005, 12:34 pm »
Jerry, I know you want more power. You are in for a surprise with Ref 9

Hi Jason. Actually, I didn't have any issues with the power of the Nuforce; it was rather impressive - especially from such a small package. My priorities lie in the areas of subtlety, tonal textures and complexity, and resolution.

Hopefully, Kevin and I can get together soon. He has been gracious enough to offer an audition.

jonwb

« Reply #12 on: 20 Oct 2005, 05:17 pm »
Yeah... I was the problem  :D   In the referrenced post by Jerry on the (70W) Nuforce 8 amplifiers; it was when Jerry brought them by my place that we agreed that for my speakers they didn't seem to have quite enough "juice" to really drive all those woofers.  They sounded great from the middle frequencies on up, but they just couldn't really drive the bottom end w/ any authority.

mmakshak

You can delete this post if you like
« Reply #13 on: 20 Oct 2005, 05:54 pm »
I'm really suprised that you received the Editor's Choice award from Absolute Sound.  The reason I mention this is that Harry has always had a "I'm better than you attitude".  He is able to accomplish this by getting free equipment.  Yes, he has pushed the state of the art.  No, he hasn't allowed the average person to enjoy music in their home.  I just remember how long it took him to acknowledge the Linn turntable(was it 7 years?).  Maybe in his older years he is starting to acknowledge his humanity(i.e., his connection to other people).  Harry, you could do much good by providing the link for people to enjoy music in their home(and yes, that includes telling the truth about digital).  Anyhow, enough about the negative.  Congratulations!  Also, congratulations to the Absolute Sound(who have been better in recent years about snob-appeal-which if I'm not mistaken, has nothing to do with music.) for stepping up to the plate without regard to price.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 30 Oct 2005, 09:12 am »
The review is out on avguide.com and will appear in the print version later (Jan issue should appear on newsstand in December).

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 30 Oct 2005, 03:44 pm »
Jason,

Could you please supply the exact link to the review on avguide.com?  I've searched there and can't seem to find it.  After hearing them ourselves I can easily see why you received the award. Congradulations! :mrgreen: We are certainly anxious to receive our pair of Ref 9's - to be sure!

PS.  Your little packages will be on their way Tuesday.

Thanks,
-Bob

KJ

« Reply #17 on: 30 Oct 2005, 04:55 pm »
Bob,

You have to scroll down to the bottom of the article to reach the review.  You also need to register (free) to download it.

-KJ

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #18 on: 30 Oct 2005, 10:50 pm »
We forgot to response to the review to remind readers that for a fraction of the purchase price, customer can upgrade the power supply and/or circuit board in the future.  Some day we will go head to head with ASR Emitter II and all customers will be able to benefit from the upgrade.

So if you can't afford a new NuForce amp, just buy a 2nd or 3rd hand used amp and get an upgrade! It is as good (performance wise) as new!
 :lol:

KJ

« Reply #19 on: 30 Oct 2005, 11:23 pm »
I've been contacted a couple times regarding issues with the link referenced above.  If you aren't successful with that one, give this one a try.  It should present you with a page to download the pdf review.  Make sure you are registered on AVguide.

-KJ