Apples-oranges question ... Sapphire XL vs. Maggie 1.6?

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
Just wondering if anyone has had the chance to compare the new Sapphire XL with the Magnepan 1.6.

I know it's not quite an equal comparison (small monitor vs. a large planar), but they are very similar in price.

I own a pair of Maggie 1.6 that I use with a pair of Force subs ... GREAT subs.  So good in fact, it got me thinking (along with room/decor concerns regarding the planars), that perhaps I should consider the XLs as a smaller, more "livable" alternative.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Harry P

Apples-oranges question ... Sapphire XL vs. Maggie 1.6?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2005, 12:35 am »
I haven't heard the XLs yet, but I do own a pair of the 25th Anniversary Sapphires and I've heard a number of Maggies over the years including the 1.6. I've read a number of comparisons between the XL and the 25th and I've yet to hear anyone say that the XL wasn't clearly better in many regards. The Maggies give a great sense of size, and properly set up I like the presentation. The biggest problems for me with Maggies is that setup is so very critical and they just dominate the room. When they aren't placed well, they don't sound very good. Even compared to Maggies placed perfectly, I think my 25th Sapphires do better with image placement, and better with resolving detail. I'd look for the XLs to do even better. I'd say take advantage of ACIs money back warranty and give the XLs a good play. Bet you keep them, but if you don't you're only out return shipping. And be sure to give us the complete writeup!

ajayrav

Sapphire XL
« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2005, 06:06 pm »
I would definately recommend the XLs.  They are incredibly smooth speakers that are resolving as well.  That is a rare combination indeed!  The imaging is spectacular, the soundstage expansive and the music (for lack of a better term) sounds 'just right'.  Try them!  Like Harry P said, you probably won't even consider returning them!