Liz Phair, Somebody's Miracle - worst. album. ever.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
If, like me, you loved her old music but haven't heard the new, I'll keep this short and sweet: avoid this smoking turd like AIDS.  This pos almost makes her last disc sound good by comparison, a feat that only a year ago I'd have sworn was theoretically impossible.

Please, Liz, I love you.  Exile in Guyville was a work of audacity and unmitigated brilliance.  And Whitechocolatespaceegg was damned near as good.  Hell, I even loved Whip Smart.  But if crap like Somebody's Miracle is all you have left in the tank, then for God's sake- don't make any more fucking records.

jon_010101

« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2005, 04:50 am »
pitchfork gave it a solid 2/10.  they note that they gave the previous album a 0/10 but now regret their haste in assuming it couldn't get worse.  

http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/p/phair_liz/somebodys-miracle.shtml

dwk

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2005, 01:54 pm »
Unfortunately, all buzz I've heard on this one seems to agree with this opinion, although I do think this is the first time I've actually seen 'smoking turd' used. I think Exile and White..... are great, but man, did she ever jump off a cliff.

Not to hijack too much, but keeping to the topic of "female artists with great debut albums that we haven't heard from in a while", from the early reviews it sounds like the new Fiona Apple delivers the goods.  From the sounds of things, it's entirely possible that Tidal might actually be her *weakest* album - the mind simply boggles at that possibility.