A Tale of Two Squeeze Box 2: Bolder Cable and Red Wine Audio

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I think most people know that I have been very happy with Vinnie's (Red Wine Audio) modified SB2.  It replaced a modified Empirical Audio Sony S-7700 (which is for sale if anybody wants it) and just improves my system across the board.

So naturally, I can't just stop there (I am silly audiophile afterall).  Since I need a second SB2 for another system, I decided to contact Wayne at Bolder Cable to have him build me his modified SB2 (he did a great job modifiying my Panny RP-91 in the past).

Over the next few weeks I will compare the two units in my system in as fair a manner as possible.  Both units will use the exact same digital ic (VH Audio cryo'd Pulsar with Silver NextGen connectors) and feed a TacT 2.2x preamp.  I will just simply need to switch inputs ivia the remote in order to A/B since I can sync each unit with the SlimServer software.

To be honest, I expect BOTH units will be excellent and BOTH units would most likely be an improvement over what most people are using as their digital source.  Additionally, both Wayne and Vinnie are people I both respect and like.  You can't go wrong sending your SB2 to either guy.  My goal here is to simply try to explain the flavor and qualities of each to possibly help somebody decide on what direction to go.

Stay tuned...

George

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: A Tale of Two Squeeze Box 2: Bolder Cable and Red Wine A
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2005, 12:49 am »
Quote from: zybar
I think most people know that I have been very happy with Vinnie's (Red Wine Audio) modified SB2.  It replaced a modified Empirical Audio Sony S-7700 (which is for sale if anybody wants it) and just improves my system across the board.

So naturally, I can't just stop there (I am silly audiophile afterall).  Since I need a second SB2 for another system, I decided to contact Wayne at Bolder Cable to have him build me his modified SB2 (he did a great job modifiying my Panny RP-91 in the past).

Over the n ...

Hey George,

It was great to see you at RMAF.

Regarding the shootout, just remember that I went to Carmel High School and am from your hood!  :lol:  

*** Oops, this was supposed to be a 'private message'  :mrgreen:

Have fun,

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2005, 12:53 am »
Quote from: Vinnie R.
Hey George,

It was great to see you at RMAF.

Regarding the shootout, just remember that I went to Carmel High School and am from your hood!  :lol:  

*** Oops, this was supposed to be a 'private message'  :mrgreen:

Have fun,

But Wayne gave me really good beer (his award winning IPA receipe)!!   :beer:

George

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2005, 12:59 am »

But Wayne gave me really good beer (his award winning IPA receipe)!!   :beer:

George

Doh!!!   :banghead:

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2005, 02:48 am »
You should burn a pink noise track and playback the track from both SB2's just to make sure that the output voltages are the same via the digital outputs (i.e. is the system's SPL level the same from both sources).  Ratshack meter will be sufficient for matching.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2005, 02:50 am »
Quote from: JoshK
You should burn a pink noise track and playback the track from both SB2's just to make sure that the output voltages are the same via the digital outputs (i.e. is the system's SPL level the same from both sources).  Ratshack meter will be sufficient for matching.

Already have my Rives and Stereophile test cd's ripped and on my hard drive.   :mrgreen:

I will make sure they are level matched.

George

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2005, 02:51 am »
good man!

jermmd

« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2005, 03:08 am »
I've been waiting for the inevitable comparison. Thanks George.

Are you getting the complete package from Wayne or only the digital package? Did your RWA SB2 get the DAC upgrade? I don't suppose it matters since you use the Tact DAC.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2005, 03:11 am »
Quote from: jermmd
I've been waiting for the inevitable comparison. Thanks George.

Are you getting the complete package from Wayne or only the digital package? Did your RWA SB2 get the DAC upgrade? I don't suppose it matters since you use the Tact DAC.

Digital only on the SB2 + power supply.

George

miklorsmith

« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2005, 02:22 pm »
So it sounds like the comparison will be between the two SB-2's as transport, not assessing possible differences between the analog stages?  Nothing wrong with that, just clearing the air.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 5 Oct 2005, 02:59 pm »
Quote from: miklorsmith
So it sounds like the comparison will be between the two SB-2's as transport, not assessing possible differences between the analog stages?  Nothing wrong with that, just clearing the air.

You are correct - I only use the SB2 as a transport to digitally feed my TacT 2.2x preamp.

George

Wayne1

« Reply #11 on: 5 Oct 2005, 03:10 pm »
George will just be comparing differences between Vinnie's and my "digital-only" mods.

We both have a customer in the Boston area who also ordered full mods from us, who will be comparing the analog aspect of the two SB2s.

For George's unit, I also added a digital isolation transformer. So there will be a bit of difference in the two units.

FWIW I did meet Vinnie at the show. He is a really nice person and I thought his gear looked realy good. Unfortunately I did not have the time to listen to his and Louis' products. I invited him to the get together at mgalusha's, but he was a bit beat after a full day of demos and couldn't make it.

What I feel should be mentioned here is that a modded SB2 can sound BETTER than most transport/DAC combinations. It costs less and sounds better. I think that is a win/win for most folks whose priority is listening to music, not showing off gear.

As I demo'ed to George and others at our get together, having a SB2 with most of your music ripped to hard drive AND a PDA running TelCanto, your access to music is astounding. It will change the way you listen.

If you chose mods by Vinnie or me, it really doesn't matter ( okay it does to our bottom line :roll: ) What does matter is that you WILL be listening to MORE of your music and enjoying it more.

I still own and love my Teres and vinyl. For my everyday listening, my SB2 is what is playing.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 15 Oct 2005, 09:07 pm »
Ok, I know it has been a few weeks since I first posted about this comparison, but I wanted to make sure I had enough time with each unit in my system to be 100% confident in what I publish.  So here it goes...

I listened to lots of different music, but here are a few reference cuts that I used more than others:

•   The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over - Hotel California (track 6)
•   Natalie Merchant - Motherland – Saint Judas (track 3)
•   Roland Kirk – Domino – Rolando (track 8)
•   Ben Harper and the Blind Boys of Alabama – There Well Be A Light – Mother Pray (track 9)
•   Ben Harper – Fight For Your Mind – God Fearing Man (track 13)
•   Stevie Ray Vaughn – Blues At Sunrise – Tin Pan Alley (track 3)
•   Mad Season – Above – X-Ray Mind (track 2)
•   The Bad Plus – These Are The Vistas – Keep the Bugs off Your Glass and the Bears of Your Ass (track 2)

Both units provide excellent sound and are a significant step up from my modified Sony S-7700.  I will venture to say that MOST transports won't sound as good as either the Bolder Cable or Red Wine Audio modified SB2.  Although there are definitely differences between the two units, they aren’t night and day type differences and will require a resolving system to hear them.  

Ultimately, I am going to keep the Red Wine Audio version in my main system and move the Bolder Cable to my secondary system.  The RWA when running off the battery with all electrical plugs removed (for the charger and to run the unit in AC mode) was a little better in the following areas:

1.   It was harmonically richer and less lean sounding.  Whether it was the strings on Hotel California, Natalie Merchant’s voice, or Roland Kirk’s sax, this richness made it sound more natural and relaxed.

2.   Highs were smoother, more extended, and less splashy.  Cymbals, bells, and brass were just a little more enjoyable and seemed to hang in the air a little longer.

3.   Better detail and texture.  There was a blacker background that allowed more texture and nuances to come through.  This was really evident on the stand-up bass, acoustic guitar, and percussion instruments.

4.   Better separation in the soundstage.  Voices and instruments were more clearly defined and occupied their space in a tighter fashion.

I can’t emphasize enough that these differences are subtle and that the Bolder Cable SB2 is an excellent sounding unit.  When I compared both units via AC power, I honestly couldn’t consistently pick which was which..  When listening to the RWA via battery I could tell the difference each time.

Kudos to both Vinnie and Wayne for making excellent products with customer service to match!!  I wish them both continued success and highly recommend getting your SB2 modified by either one.

George

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #13 on: 15 Oct 2005, 09:55 pm »
Thanks George for reporting your impressions on the two excellent units.

polishpowerlifter

SB2
« Reply #14 on: 15 Oct 2005, 10:07 pm »
Yes thank you for your review.There is alot to be said for  Vinnie's work and stand with 'battery bliss'.I am an owner of a few of his products and have to say the detail with the right combo of components has to be heard.
The audio world needs products that are not pricy to validate their existence and usage.ie nad 3020, The RWA line is just that.

Jon L

« Reply #15 on: 16 Oct 2005, 01:04 am »
Ok, I know it has been a few weeks since I first posted about this comparison, but I wanted to make sure I had enough time with each unit in my system to be 100% confident in what I publish.  So here it goes...

I listened to lots of different music, but here are a few reference cuts that I used more than others:

•   The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over - Hotel California (track 6)
•   Natalie Merchant - Motherland – Saint Judas (track 3)
•   Roland Kirk – Domino – Rolando (track 8)
•   Ben Harper and the Blind B ...

Could you imagine others actually preferring Bolder SB2 b/c they have different tastes?  I mention this b/c in MY experience with SLA battery vs. AC on a couple of different components, I would agree that battery souds smoother, more refined, more easeful, with blacker background.  However, in general I tend to prefer AC power via good power conditioner, which tends to be more raw, immediate, forward, and propulsive/dynamic, at the expense of grainier "pixels" and less natural sound.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 16 Oct 2005, 01:12 am »
Quote from: Jon L
Could you imagine others actually preferring Bolder SB2 b/c they have different tastes?  I mention this b/c in MY experience with SLA battery vs. AC on a couple of different components, I would agree that battery souds smoother, more refined, more easeful, with blacker background.  However, in general I tend to prefer AC power via good power conditioner, which tends to be more raw, immediate, forward, and propulsive/dynamic, at the expense of grainier "pixels" and less natural sound.

Of course others might like the Bolder Cable SB2 more.

I learned long ago that there are no universal truths in audio.

The Bolder Cable SB2 was plugged into a Running Springs Audio Haley power conditioner on a dedicated 20 amp line.

George

Rocket

« Reply #17 on: 16 Oct 2005, 01:30 am »
Hi Zybar,

For the technologically challenged can you explain how the squeezebox 2 works?  Do i need to have a pc instead of having a transport/dac?

A picture would be handy.

Sometimes i get totally lost with some of the threads on AC, as i don't get to see these products where i live.

Regards

Rod

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 16 Oct 2005, 01:40 am »
Quote from: Rocket
Hi Zybar,

For the technologically challenged can you explain how the squeezebox 2 works?  Do i need to have a pc instead of having a transport/dac?

A picture would be handy.

Sometimes i get totally lost with some of the threads on AC, as i don't get to see these products where i live.

Regards

Rod

Well, this isn't a picture but hopefully it will help:

rip cd to computer as .wav or .flac file->
computer sends .way or .flac file to SB2 ->
SB2 outputs digital or analog to preamp, dac, or amp

So depending on how you want to use it, the SB2 + computer can be any of the following:

1.  transport (how I use it)
2.  dac
3.  dac/preamp

You can access the SB2 in a few different ways:

1.  remote (with all the fatures on a transport or cd player)
2.  via a webpage on the computer running the necessary software
3.  via a wireless pda + software

For more info on the SB2, check out their excellent website:

www.slimdevices.com

George

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #19 on: 16 Oct 2005, 02:06 am »
Nice review George, thanks. :D
    Both sound like quality mods, just depends what your looking for. 8) [/list:u]
      Question...what computer do you us to rip your cds to ? The laptop you use ? Or a different computer only for files ?[/list:u]
        Thanks !![/list:u]
          Chris[/list:u]