Any Recent LLC-P User or Audio Site/Magazine Reviews?

HChi

Could someone share his/her experience wit the new LLC-P?  How is it compared to the preamps previously owned and/or heard of?  I am looking to buy a preamp for my Krell amp.  I narrow down to a few preamps and need some feedback to make the final decision.  The preamps of interest are:

FT Audio LW-1
IRD LLC-P
AVA Transcendence Seven
BV Audio P1
Kora Equnioxe

Thanks.

Curt

« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2003, 09:24 am »
TNT Audio is reviewing the Purist LLC-P  now, don't know when it will be on their website yet.

EProvenzano

« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2003, 08:28 pm »
I've posted some comments here...
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=1785

HChi

« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2003, 03:12 am »
I recieved my LLC-P today.  The black faceplate looks nice with my Krell amp.  It is a solid, heavy, nicely built preamp(, at least heavier than I thought). I never have a preamp before but have my Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD4000 wired directly to the amp and use the CDP for the volume control. However, this setup causes me to lose some details for I can never turn the volume to its max, which is the factory recommended setting.  Due to this shortcoming, I headed out for the search of a preamp.  After much research, I narrowed down the candidates ranging from FT Audio LW-1 to AVA T7. To make the long story short, I decided to order a brand new LLC-P.  Although it is still too early to make any critical judgement , out of box it sounds very good already.  Since I am able to crank the CDP output to maximum,  during the initial auditing my friend and I were hearing some minute details never heard before on tracks that  I use for evaluating the effectiveness of upgrades. This is good!  I will give a review once the unit settles down after a week or two (for I have a few other upgrades in the pipeline).  However, there is one bothering issue.   When I change the volume setting while the CD is playering,  I hear some clicking and/or slight statics coming out form the speakers.  I hope this will go away after more break-in.  Curt, does this suppose to happen?
In short, preliminarily this is a nice sounding preamp.  It looks like it is going to be a keeper!

Curt

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2003, 02:15 pm »
Quote from: HChi
However, there is one bothering issue.   When I change the volume setting while the CD is playering,  I hear some clicking and/or slight statics coming out form the speakers.  I hope this will go away after more break-in.  Curt, does this suppose to happen?
In short, preliminarily this is a nice sounding preamp.  It looks like it is going to be a keeper!

Hi HChi,

Glad to see your Purist LLC has arrived and is working out well in your system.

You should remove the top cover (just need a metric hex wrench for the 12 screws) and look inside. If you have seen inside other preamps, the Purist will really impress you. The build and component quality is of the highest standards.

You should be able to hear all the detail coming from your source, if your amp, cables, and loudspeakers allow it. The resolution of the Purist is outstanding. It does particularly well handling complex multi-layered details without smearing.

A precision ladder step attenuator is a wonderful device. Only two resistors in the signal path at any one time and the lowest added noise factor possible. The ladder step attenuator is the most desired and most expensive volume control available in high-end audio today.

There is only one issue with ladder attenuators, an occasional slight click when changing volume levels. These occasional clicks are not harmful in anyway, such a small noise compared to the actual music program, simply a characteristic of ladder step circuits.

The sonic benefits of a ladder attenuator far outweigh the slight occasional, harmless click produced when changing the volume level.

Please tell us more after burn-in and you have had the time to do some critical listening. Enjoy...

HChi

« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2003, 03:08 am »
Curt,
  Since it does not come with one, besides the website where can I find the latest revision of the user manual? Thanks.

Curt

« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2003, 03:37 pm »
Quote from: HChi
Curt,
  Since it does not come with one, besides the website where can I find the latest revision of the user manual? Thanks.

E1 series user manuals are in the works. The Purist manual is the first and will be available as a PDF download sometime this week.

I will post a link in this forum when it is ready for download.

Questions can be answered immediately via e-mail if desired.