An interesting perspective

Corbin Johnson

« on: 29 Sep 2005, 12:59 am »
Last week I wandered into my local stereo shop to see what was new.  I had not been in for about three years since I bought my RM 40's.  But on my last visit I had the nerve to asked them to play the best speakers they had and I listened to the B&W 800's and was blown away.  From that point on I knew I could not settle for less, but was not willing to pay $10K.  A few months later with some Internet research I took a leap of faith and bought my RM40's.  This past week I listened again to the latest version of the B&W's.  Nice speakers, but this time I was not impressed.  I guess my RM40's have definitely changed my perspective on what is impressive.  

Corbin

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: An interesting perspective
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2005, 01:27 am »
Quote from: Corbin Johnson
Last week I wandered into my local stereo shop to see what was new.  I had not been in for about three years since I bought my RM 40's.  But on my last visit I had the nerve to asked them to play the best speakers they had and I listened to the B&W 800's and was blown away.  From that point on I knew I could not settle for less, but was not willing to pay $10K.  A few months later with some Internet research I took a leap of faith and bought my RM40's.  This past week I listened again to the latest version  ...

Corbin,

Not suprsied in the least.

I have never been that impressed by B&W's (except the fit and finish) and would select the RM 40's in a heartbeat when selecting which produces a "better" sound.

Keep enjoying your system.

George

warnerwh

« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2005, 04:09 am »
I heard those B&W's too and was impressed by how much they cost for their sound.  I felt almost embarrassed for the salesman that was all the sound they had to offer for so much money.  Just feel fortunate you can think for yourself.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2005, 05:43 am »
Such is the world of speakers.

Obviously there are many "satisfied" high priced speaker owners of various types.

I have heard many designs and types, from line arrays, dipolar planars, Dipolar Cones, Electrostatics, and many others. and I will say that they all sounded terrific.

But there is just some "sonic element" of reality (or at least my perception) that makes the VMPS ribbon speakers take my breath away.

As some have mentioned all speakers are a mixture of strengths and compromises.

That mixture with Big B's Boxes seems to fit my preferences the best.

Strangely enough I have come across a new upgrade for the RM30, that literally (for me) transforms this speaker from a "Great Speaker" to an "Unbelievable Speaker".

I am currently looking for a way to offer this upgrade to those who might find it as incredible as I have.

I will report about this and the sonic benefits as soon as we locate a way to offer it to the many RM30 owners.

IT IS SMOKIN :smoke:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2005, 11:06 am »
I've never really been a fan of B&Ws either.  They are very nice looking speakers, though. They also made me mad when they forced other speaker manufacturers from looking like their tweeter design, which B&W said was a trademark but advertised as being functional (you can't get a trademark on something that's entirely functional, as patents cover function).

SWG255

I've had the same experience
« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2005, 04:56 pm »
I've been in several high-end audio shops around the country since buying my RM-40s just about two years ago, and I no longer feel as though I have to get another mortgage on my house to buy those high-dollar speakers sold in these stores. I've heard some nice speakers, including some of the Wilson models, but I haven't heard anything that I would spend the money for at this point.

Besides, I'm saving up for a better amplifier and speaker cables, i think i will get more bang for my buck with those upgrades.

ScottMayo

Re: I've had the same experience
« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2005, 05:38 pm »
Quote from: SWG255
I've been in several high-end audio shops around the country since buying my RM-40s just about two years ago, and I no longer feel as though I have to get another mortgage on my house to buy those high-dollar speakers sold in these stores. I've heard some nice speakers, including some of the Wilson models, but I haven't heard anything that I would spend the money for at this point.

The nice thing about buying VMPS - you feel like the search really is over. Yes, there are people who never stop trying new gear and are never more miserable than when they've got a speaker they like. But for the music lover who likes the detail and clarity of these speakers, you can kick back and know that you're home, when you get in front of the things.

Well, except for the RM/x, that give you more of a feeling that you should bow down and tremble before the awful gleaming perfection that shines from this alien black monolith of a speaker. They are just a tiny bit scary.

People who enter the showroom for social occasions, generally just stop and blink a few times when they first look at them. There's this wonderful "oh... that's a speaker... oh my" look they get... and that's before I turn them on. :-)

Campindog

« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2005, 01:14 am »
[Last week I was in a high end "salon" looking at projectors and they had some $5,000 B&W's playing music in a 2 channel system with Macintosh electronics. It was flat out embarrasing how much better my RM30's sounded with a old Yamaha reciever as a pre/pro and a B&K amp. You'd think there were blankets thrown over the B&W's. ]

Had the same experience last winter...

Florian

« Reply #8 on: 2 Oct 2005, 08:58 pm »
Yup the B&W's are nothing special at all indeed. Kick ass build quality and finish tough. But sounds like colored bloated garbage. I heard the 800D at the dealer in Augsburg, and didnt care for it. Looks small and cute  :mrgreen:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #9 on: 29 Oct 2005, 06:47 am »
I prefer properly setup $2600 RM2s over the $12,000 B&W Nautilus.

Florian

« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2005, 12:21 pm »
Quote from: RibbonSpeakers.net
I prefer properly setup $2600 RM2s over the $12,000 B&W Nautilus.

I don't blame you, so do i.