Looking for Amp/Preamp Manufaturers like ACI

balji

• http://www.highdefzone.us
« on: 27 Sep 2005, 02:38 pm »
Does any one know any manufaturers who make Affordable but Audiophile quality Amps, Preamps just like ACI makes Speakers. Please let me know
Thanx
Bal

BradJudy

« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2005, 02:54 pm »
It depends on your definition of affordable.  You can check out the offerings by Odyssey here on AC, but don't look at their website - Klaus hasn't updated it in forever, so it doesn't include their less expensive products.

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2005, 07:26 pm »
Audio by Van Alstine seems to be a perfect match for my ACI Panorama's.  :D  :D

http://www.avahifi.com/

Super service (if you ever need it) high quality, very well constructed, affordable and very local (to me). Funny, This seems to be the same thing I would say about ACI!

Groch

« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2005, 12:45 am »
I think Upscale Audio's Prima Luna line correlates pretty well with the ACI experience.  My own experience indicates they play very well together.

Like ACI,  the Prima Luna products are built to very high standards and are a great value as they are sold direct via the internet, bypassing retail store markup.

Unlike ACI, Upscale Audio does not assemble the Prima Luna products themselves.  The Prima Luna products are designed by an experienced multinational team and assembled in China using high quality components sourced world wide.   I think this is an inherent difference between electronics and speaker manufacturing in the 21st century.  

The days when you could cost effectively assemble sophisticated electronics in the U.S. are over.     If you check out the reviews on the Prima Luna amps / pre-amps and integrateds they nearly always mention the unusually high quality of components and workmanship at what for tube gear is a low end price.   Their point to point wiring is a thing of beauty and the chassis are finished in hand rubbed lacquer.    I own a Prologue Two and I think it a great match to the Sapphire XLs.

Heres the   link: http://www.upscaleaudio.com/view_category.asp?cat=36

BradJudy

« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2005, 01:07 am »
I don't know how I forgot to suggest you also check out Channel Islands Audio - another AC company.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2005, 12:35 pm »
I hope you can still afford to buy good quality audio equipment when your job is exported to China.

Frank Van Alstine

rosconey

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2005, 01:14 pm »
The days when you could cost effectively assemble sophisticated electronics in the U.S. are over.

i dont believe that for a minute-i have bolth china and american made equipment in my system-

the best thing about china made stuff is the price-service is another issuse as is quality control-some things you have to buy from there -amps speakers and pre amps arent the ones-

guys like frank at ava and my guy klaus from odyssey cant be touched by the china based audio companies-

Val

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2005, 01:19 pm »
I guess IRD qualifies.

Groch

« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2005, 02:15 pm »
Frank,

I meant no offense to you by my post.  I have sincere respect for what you have contributed to the audio industry over the years as well as your commitment to providing products with excellent performance at a reasonable cost.

I did find your message ironic.   I was recently laid off after 26 years in the consumer electronics industry by a major mid-high end retail store chain that filed Chapter 11.  A significant contibutor to its demise was the move by consumers away from value-added service oriented stores to discount chains and direct internet sales.  

I do not blame either AVA, Amazon.com, or ACI for my company's demise.  Things change, and customers have the right to make their own choice as to where they find value. They will do so whether it effects us positively or not.  I do not think it is AVA's moral responsibility to support my career choices.

I do think that Rosconey makes a good point.  Value means more than just parts cost versus price.   Innovative design, commitment to quality and customer service are all part of that equation.

As the automobile industry has found, outstanding design, quality and service are not U.S. exclusives.   Recently, companies like Upscale Audio and AV123 have proved this true in high end audio, just as Japanese companies did for midfi 20 years ago.  Even ACI has shifted some cabinet sourcing overseas to provide higher quality and value.

The Prima Luna 2 was the best amp I could find for my Sapphire XLs at anywhere near the $1350 price.   It's customer service is supported by a U.S. importer with an outstanding reputation.  I am pleased with my choice, but do think ACI owners should consider other products like AVA as well.

George Roch

balji

• http://www.highdefzone.us
« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2005, 09:14 pm »
Hi Guys
Thanx for you input.
I really appreciate that.
Balji

Harry P

« Reply #10 on: 6 Oct 2005, 10:10 pm »
Here's another nod to the Primaluna. Had a chance to hear one of their integrated amps a few months ago and it was a very nice piece of gear for sure. Also, how about Cary Audio? They make a lot of fine models.

John151

« Reply #11 on: 6 Oct 2005, 10:25 pm »
Oyssey Audio gear is a fantastic value. For the budget minded, the Khartago amp ($750), the Etesian pre ($350). and the Cyclops integrated ($895) are great products at ridiculously low prices.  These are assembled in the USA, and I believe are sold around the world, including China (Hong Kong)!  And a 20 year warranty no less!

WEEZ

« Reply #12 on: 6 Oct 2005, 11:56 pm »
You'all that are having eargasms over your Chinese amplifiers should have at least considered the "Made in the USA" Rogue Cronus if tubed amps are your thing.

For a few hundred more you could have had a phono stage; a fixed output for a recorder or headphone amp; a variable output for bi-amping or a subwoofer; and contributed to profits here in the good 'ol USA.

It's bad enough that most of our CD players are made in China. And now it's a flurry of amplifiers. Next it will be speakers that are clones of excellent speakers (like ACI?).

Others have mentioned well known (and respected, I might add) US companies that offer excellent sound AND value like AVA, and Odyssey.

I'll offer a few more: Musical Design; Decware; and Quicksilver.

A review in Stereophile doesn't mean a product is a world beater. Hell, Sam Tellig likes everything he hears.

(BTW, the review is Stereophile wasn't all that favorable if you read it carefully)

This isn't a knock on Kevin Deal. He sells great US-made stuff and is one of the best sources of rare tubes in the country. You'll note that he sells Cary and Manley tubed equipment. Even HE will tell you that Prima Luna is not in the same league with with the other US made stuff as far as sound quality.

Frank is right. When your job moves to China- maybe you'll enjoy your Chinese amplifier until it breaks and you have to buy another one. By then it will cost way more than buying a good one in the first place- and you won't even be able to afford an iPod by then.

Do you'all drive Chinese cars, too?

WEEZ

Harry P

« Reply #13 on: 8 Oct 2005, 03:34 pm »
So I guess this means that you drive a Ford Chevy or Chrysler and make sure its one that's built here? And of course all your cloths and shoes are U.S. made, and your furniture and everything else.  

Me, I want to buy from a U.S. company if at all possible. If their manufacturing is off shore I can handle it as long as I'm dealing with a company that backs the product. Choosing the company is more important to me than where the stuff is made.