Ipod-Imod versatility?

beatdownvictim

• http://DOULIK.COM
Ipod-Imod versatility?
« on: 21 Sep 2005, 07:14 am »
Vinnie, i'm really looking forward to the imods you're doing.  As it stands, we have a portable drive, mp3 player (on the go and at home), and a music server (air-port).  

I was wondering with the imod, if it was possible at all to keep the headphone jack intact and also keep the line out jack on the Nano?

I know it's possible on the 60 gig version, but i'm looking at getting the nano.

I noticed in the I-mod page you stated

"The Red Wine iMod for the 60Gb iPod Photo converts the 1/8" headphone jack to a line out jack, so the headphone output is disabled.  The Red Wine modded iPod is intended o be connected to either a high quality headphone amp or home stereo system."

And one more question to pick your mind, how does the air-port compare with the SB2?  

Anxious minds await!

Regards,
BDV

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Ipod-Imod versatility?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2005, 10:37 am »
Quote from: beatdownvictim
Vinnie, i'm really looking forward to the imods you're doing.  As it stands, we have a portable drive, mp3 player (on the go and at home), and a music server (air-port).  

I was wondering with the imod, if it was possible at all to keep the headphone jack intact and also keep the line out jack on the Nano?

I know it's possible on the 60 gig version, but i'm looking at getting the nano.

I noticed in the I-mod page you stated

"The Red Wine iMod for the 60Gb iPod Photo converts the 1/8" headphone j ...

Hi BDV,

Yes, it is possible that I can leave the headphone jack intact for the iMod, but it will require me to install a 'pigtail' out of the unit (terminated with either a male or female 1/8" mini connector).  

I received a lot of feedback from those who didn't want to have the pigtail, and just wanted the highest quality line-out, and not a headphone out because they would be using a high-end headphone amp or home stereo anyway, so with the 60GB, I come out with the iMod that is all built into the unit, which converts the headphone jack to the dedicated line out jack.

For the smaller iPods (such as the new Nano), the Black Gate NX-Hi-Q coupling caps will not fit inside, so they need to be either installed in the pigtail assembly, or built into the cable that goes between the converted 1/8" jack (that was the headphone jack but gets converted to the line out jack) and the unit that you are connecting to (can be terminated with another 1/8" plug, or RCA jacks).

Lastly, you mentioned MP3 use.  I intended the iMod for those who are using the Apple Lossless format to obtain max quality that takes full advantage of what the iMod can do.  Using Apple Lossless, the iMod can fit over 100 CDs on the 60GB unit, and the sound quality can rival some of the best CDPs (regardless of price).  Of course I'll have to prove this at RMAF  :wink:

Thanks for your interest,

chadh

Ipod-Imod versatility?
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2005, 03:10 pm »
Vinnie,

I was wondering, why opt for a line-level output from the IPOD rather than a digital output?  

While there are a number of portable digital players around that have decent line-out facilities (I use a rather cumbersome Nomad Jukebox III that has a good line-out - but obviously not in the league of your IMOD effort), there are almost no players at all that provide a digital output (I think one of the old i-River models had a toslink digital out, but it was scrapped in the newer models).

If the modded IPOD were being used as part of a truly portable system, then I could understand that the dearth of portable dacs and the sheer bulk of dealing with a portable dac and a headphone amp would make the digital out less appealing.  But if one is thinking of using the IPOD as part of a real music system, I would have thought one would jump at the opportunity to bypass the IPOD dac circuitry and use something better.

Then again, all of these new-fangled digital developments might just be proving that all the "which dac is better" controversies of the past were really of little real consequence.

Chad

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Ipod-Imod versatility?
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2005, 04:53 pm »
Quote from: chadh
Vinnie,

I was wondering, why opt for a line-level output from the IPOD rather than a digital output?  

While there are a number of portable digital players around that have decent line-out facilities (I use a rather cumbersome Nomad Jukebox III that has a good line-out - but obviously not in the league of your IMOD effort), there are almost no players at all that provide a digital output (I think one of the old i-River models had a toslink digital out, but it was scrapped in the newer models).

If t ...

Hi Chad,

There is no spdif digital output line to tap in any of the iPods, otherwise, this is something that I would consider offering.

Regarding using the iPods Wolfson dac vs an external dac, either way, the data is going to be converted to a line-out level signal.  

With the iPod iMod, there is no processing of the digital data to spdif, transmitting it via a digital cable, sending it to an external dac with an spdif input receiver, processing it and feeding it to the d/a chip, feeding it to RCA jacks, using rca cables, etc. etc.

In other words, it is very simple, and it sounds very good  :wink:

Thanks for posting,

chadh

Ipod-Imod versatility?
« Reply #4 on: 22 Sep 2005, 03:44 am »

Thanks for posting

And thanks for your response, Vinnie!

Chad

jkelly

Cradle connection?
« Reply #5 on: 22 Sep 2005, 12:21 pm »
Vinnie,

Can the cradle connection at the bottom be used for anything?

Jeff

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Re: Cradle connection?
« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2005, 12:37 pm »
Quote from: jkelly
Vinnie,

Can the cradle connection at the bottom be used for anything?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

The dock connector functionality on the bottom of the iPod remains intact, except for the line out pins, which are deactivated with the iMod.  

The dock connector is used for charging the iPod, loading songs, etc., but it not the ideal place to tap the line out.  Between the Wolfson dac and the dock connector, there is a lot of "stuff" in the path, as I mention here:
http://www.redwineaudio.com/iMod.html

Regards,

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
Powered speakers for iPod-iMod
« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2005, 07:35 pm »
Suppose I'd like to bring the iPod-iMod to an in-house sport event that takes place every week in a friend's garage.  Any suggestion of a good sounding speaker that's Plug-n-Play and compatible with iPod-iMod?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Re: Powered speakers for iPod-iMod
« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2005, 08:28 pm »
Quote from: Paul_Bui
Suppose I'd like to bring the iPod-iMod to an in-house sport event that takes place every week in a friend's garage.  Any suggestion of a good sounding speaker that's Plug-n-Play and compatibe with iPod-iMod?

Hi Paul,

Do you mean active speakers?  

The 60GB iPod fits perfectly on top of the little Clari-T and can be connected via a short custom cable.  I have my iModded Ipod in a black rubber protective case and it looks really cute and slick resting on top of the Clari-T with a tiny cable linking the two.  Just add speakers...  :wink:

I need to take a few pics of this...

Paul_Bui

Ipod-Imod versatility?
« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2005, 09:27 pm »
Vinnie,

Thanks for reminding me, I forgot the ClariTs.  Now I'm looking for "portable" speakers that can be driven well by the Ts.  They could be good sounding computer speakers that I saw sometime in an audiophile magazine.  Perhaps a flat panel type.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Ipod-Imod versatility?
« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2005, 10:55 pm »
Vinnie,

Thanks for reminding me, I forgot the ClariTs.  Now I'm looking for "portable" speakers that can be driven well by the Ts.  They could be good sounding computer speakers that I saw sometime in an audiophile magazine.  Perhaps a flat panel type.

Paul,

Would something like the Omega Mini MEs be too big?
Dimensions: 12" tall x 9" wide x 7" deep

If not, they would be a nice little speaker to try...

Paul_Bui

Ipod-Imod versatility?
« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2005, 11:32 pm »
Thanks Vinnie again for the suggestion.

Since I'm already a ClariT customer, will I get the discount?

miklorsmith

Ipod-Imod versatility?
« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2005, 11:35 pm »
Yeah, me too!  I'm a three-time customer!!  I've got visions of dancing, free stuff in my head.  I'll finger out what I want for free and let you know, Vin.  Thanks!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Ipod-Imod versatility?
« Reply #13 on: 27 Sep 2005, 11:35 pm »
Thanks Vinnie again for the suggestion.

Since I'm already a ClariT customer, will I get the discount?

Check with Louis of Omega... I'm sure he'll hook you up.  8)

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Ipod-Imod versatility?
« Reply #14 on: 27 Sep 2005, 11:37 pm »
Quote from: miklorsmith
Yeah, me too!  I'm a three-time customer!!  I've got visions of dancing, free stuff in my head.  I'll finger out what I want for free and let you know, Vin.  Thanks!

I had a feeling this was going to happen  :roll:   :mrgreen:

Wally King

Ipod-Imod versatility?
« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2005, 05:35 pm »
In my opinion, there’s a big problem with attempting to turn an iPod into an audiophile-quality product.  Let’s assume that you have an iTunes playlist comprised of music from many sources, meaning that the volume levels of the original recordings will vary widely.  If you’re serious about preserving the dynamics of the original recording, you will NOT want to use the Soundcheck feature in iTunes or in the iPod.  

You can manually adjust the levels of recordings imported to iTunes, so if you’re using your computer as your music source, no problem.  However, when you transfer your playlists from iTunes to the iPod, guess what?  All that fine-tuning you’ve done to get all the tracks in the playlist to play at appropriate levels is all for naught.  NONE of the adjustments you make to iTunes are transferred over to the iPod.  

So, you’re still stuck with having to use the Soundcheck feature on the iPod unless you want to be constantly adjusting the iPod’s volume level.  Or, if you’ve hooked-up the iPod to the main stereo in the house for a party, you either have to use the Soundcheck on the iPod, ruining the dynamics of your very expensive home stereo, or else spend your time with remote in hand constantly adjusting the volume for each track.  Bummer.

For some reason, Apple continues use its iPod and iTunes software updates to add (in my opinion) silly gimmicky features, instead of resolving a fundamental problem that should matter to anyone concerned about sound quality.  I can only assume that Apple doesn’t care about enticing audiophiles to buy iPods, figuring there aren't enough of us to matter.

All that to say, I think I’d be wasting my money paying to have the iPod’s potential enhanced while knowing that its increased potential can never be fully realized.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Ipod-Imod versatility?
« Reply #16 on: 28 Sep 2005, 06:41 pm »
Quote from: Wally King
In my opinion, there’s a big problem with attempting to turn an iPod into an audiophile-quality product.  

Hi Wally,

I have to disagree with you because one does not have to use the SoundCheck feature at all.  If somes CDs are recorded at louder levels than other CDs, so be it.  What gets stored on the iPod (and for audiophile quality use, the choice to use Apple Lossless is obvious) will be a lossless version of the original CD.  Why would one want to use SoundCheck in the first place?  Why manually adjust the levels either?  Just leave the files as they are, as if you were inserting a CD into a regular CD player.  If you need the turn the volume of the amp up or down, this is no different than a regular CD player, dac, etc.  

I'm not sure I understand why you are bringing these things up when they are not issues.  It is like saying that the iPod isn't an audiophile product because it is an MP3 player.  Yes, it can play MP3, but the user is not forced to play MP3.  Lossless files can also be played and sound fantastic on the iModded iPod.  

All that to say, I think I’d be wasting my money paying to have the iPod’s potential enhanced while knowing that its increased potential can never be fully realized.

I disagree with you again.  The increased potential can and IS fully realized.  All you have to do is simply forget about SoundCheck or manually adjusting the levels.  Use Apple Lossless, and it is as simple as that.  :wink:

Regards,

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
Ipod-Imod versatility?
« Reply #17 on: 28 Sep 2005, 06:46 pm »
I usually stay away from discussions on products I'll never(never say never)own. With all due respect Mr. King, your premise is flawed. IF you're an audiophile you're only going to use lossless files, not ' a playlist comprised from many sources'. And while the level is pretty much determined by the original sources, and might vary, even audiophiles are accustomed to adjusting the volume level. I can see the utility of Soundcheck in situations where sound quality is not of the highest priority such as parties and backround music, while still preserving the quality by unchecking that feature when not needed.
        The point of the upgrade is to realise the potential of the circuitry in the iPod to its greatestest potential. By all accounts, its pretty good and modded, I'd be willing to give odds its much better.
     Personally, I dont care for tubes, turntables, or more than two way speaker systems as I deem the compromises made to make those technologies work, not worth the payoff. I see no point, though, in tweaking the noses of people who like those technologies. To each his own, one man's ceiling is another man's floor, and, I'll probably regret writing this post.   :mrgreen:

Wally King

Ipod-Imod versatility?
« Reply #18 on: 28 Sep 2005, 09:42 pm »
To hopefully clear up a few things: I don’t want to use soundcheck.  It doesn’t work very well.  That’s the problem.  

I do import CDs into iTunes using lossless files.  By “many sources” I mean I import many tracks from many CDs, CDs that might have been released 20 years ago or 10 years ago or last month.  Older CDs typically have much lower gain than newer CDs.  If one has a playlist comprised of tracks from many CDs, the fluctuations in the volume from one track to another require constant volume adjustments.  Therefore, since the gain adjustments made to iTunes don’t transfer to the iPod, there’s no choice but to use Soundcheck.  Too bad, because, as I said, soundcheck doesn’t work very well. Maybe I’m the first person to ever be bothered by this.

I certainly don’t mean to disparage anyone’s attempts to improve the iPod through various modifications.  But the inherent limitations to the interface between the iPod and iTunes are unfortunate, and can’t be corrected by modders.

More power to you, Vinnie.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Ipod-Imod versatility?
« Reply #19 on: 5 Oct 2005, 11:39 pm »
Older CDs typically have much lower gain than newer CDs. If one has a playlist comprised of tracks from many CDs, the fluctuations in the volume from one track to another require constant volume adjustments....

Hi Wally,

This is pretty much the same issue when you have a CD Mega Changer that is programmed to play tracks from many CDs.  Some are recorded with more gain than others.  

My goal in offering the iMod is to significantly improve the sound quality of the iPod to compete with that of very high quality CD players and/or external dacs (using lossless compression).  I have no intentions of correcting CDs that were recorded with more or less gain...they will remain the same.  I agree with you that Soundcheck isn't very good, but I simply choose to not use this feature, nor any other features (e.g. the EQs) that have a negative impact on the sound quality.

More power to you, Vinnie.

Thanks!  :wink:

Regards,