Woodies on Sennheiser HD650's

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« on: 20 Sep 2005, 03:02 pm »
Hi y'all,

I read with great interest this new company that makes wooden covers for the Sennheiser HD series :o  (www.headphile.com). I own the HD650's and drive them with a dedicated headphone amp/preamp (picture shown on the left) which uses WE396a's and is parafeed. Sounds excellent. I'm really interested in those folks who have 650's and what they thought of it with and without the woodies. If you have 600's, please give me your opinion as well. I realize there is already a review of the 600's with the woodies on this forum, but I'm looking for other opinions, especially since musical tastes vary so much. It looks like the woodies convert an open air/infinite baffle based headphone to a closed type (like Beyerdynamics). I would expect dynamics to take a leap up. But does it get brighter and strident? I'm not sure if the wood 'preserves' the warmth of this headphone which I love. I listen to all sorts of music, from classical to metal. Unfortunately, recording quality varies as well. There's metal that's been really well recorded and classical that is downright screeching!

Let me know, sorry for all the questions... :mrgreen:

Best,
Anand.

djbnh

« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2005, 09:23 pm »
I feel your question can be answered via a search at: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/  You'll get tons of hits.

FYI - Larry, owner of headphile (it's not that new a company), posts at that forum as well under "Xanadu777". I've bought from Larry and have had no issue with his product or service. According to Larry's site, he feels a great amount of improvement comes from recabling, but attributes sonic improvements to the "woody" cups as well. Plus, the wood cups look great, and Larry offers a number of woods for the cups.

Hope the above helps. Persons on the Head-Fi forums are very helpful...

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2005, 01:41 am »
Hi djbnh,

Thanks a lot!

Best,
Anand.