Has anybody seen the new 1080p DLP tv's?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 20 Sep 2005, 12:26 am »
The reviews on some of the units (Toshiba, RCA, Sony, HP) has been very favorable and gives the impression that this is not a minimal step up from the better 1080i or 720p models.

I might be in the market for a new main tv to repalce my Panny plasma...

The only one I have really seen in person was the Sony Qualia 70" model.

While that picture was stunning and as vibrant as anything I have ever seen, I don't see myself spending $13k on a 70" tv anytime in the near future.

George

Woodsea

« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2005, 12:31 am »
I need to get a 37-40" LCD by next christmas.  I hope they come down in price.  LCD is the way to go for me, as they are better for ambiant light.  I will be using the projector for night viewing.
1080p is just icing on the cake.  Now if I can just get one with speakers....

ekovalsky

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2005, 01:29 am »
I have the Q 006 in our game room and it is best in class.  I haven't done a professional calibration but have done an amateur calibration with some test signals and advice from other owners.

We're now looking for a new set to replace a five year old Toshiba CRT rear projector in a giant armoire in our master bedroom.  I'm considering the Samsung HL-R6168W (61" 1080p DLP) and the Sony KDS-R60XBR1 (60" 1080p SXRCD).  The latter is about to reach market, and if its picture quality equals the Q 006 d I'll spend the extra coin for it over the Samsung.

The Samsung is very, very good by the way!

jgubman

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2005, 01:48 am »
A friend of mine recently purchased the 61" JVC LCoS, the 1080p model wasn't out when he was in the market, and he didn't care to wait.

That said, the picture out of the 720p JVC is very, very good -- great contrast, bright picture and deep blacks. Puts my 2 year old Sony Grand Wega LCD set to shame, plus it was about $1k cheaper!

ekovalsky

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2005, 02:06 am »
Quote from: jgubman
A friend of mine recently purchased the 61" JVC LCoS, the 1080p model wasn't out when he was in the market, and he didn't care to wait.

That said, the picture out of the 720p JVC is very, very good -- great contrast, bright picture and deep blacks. Puts my 2 year old Sony Grand Wega LCD set to shame, plus it was about $1k cheaper!

My father-in-law recently bought the same JVC.  It has a great picture.  But at this point I wouldn't buy anything that was limited to 720p as 1080i and 1080p seem to be the final common denominator of HDTV.  And 1920x1080 pixels with DVI or HDMI is ideal for a HTPC.

I don't think JVC's 1080p sets are available yet.  Probably not too far off though.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2005, 02:24 am »
Quote from: ekovalsky
My father-in-law recently bought the same JVC.  It has a great picture.  But at this point I wouldn't buy anything that was limited to 720p as 1080i and 1080p seem to be the final common denominator of HDTV.  And 1920x1080 pixels with DVI or HDMI is ideal for a HTPC.

I don't think JVC's 1080p sets are available yet.  Probably not too far off though.

If I got a screaming deal on a 1080i set I would consider it...

Eric, any idea on the price of the Sony?  Looks like the Samsung can be had for under $4k.

George

ekovalsky

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2005, 02:35 am »
Sony KDS-R60XBR1 MSRP $4999.99

Sony KDS-R50XBR1 MSRP $3999.99

I got a 10% discount off MSRP at Tweeter on my Q 006.  Don't expect much more than that on these sets.

Note that these 1080p SXRCD sets command about a 50% premium over the current 3LCD 720p models...

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2005, 04:12 am »
I don't much like RPTVs, but the new DLP 1080 models just about blew me away.  Deep blacks, rich colors, massive resolution.  The only think I saw to mar this was that, if the motion moved to side to side fast enough, the image broke into a diamond shaped grid, breaking up the "smoothpixel" effect (or whatever they call it).  But I was also 3' away.  I doubt it would be all that notable from 10', if it is visible at all.  The Sony was also quite good.  Different place, different time, different material.

Tweaker

« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2005, 06:54 pm »
I was considering a DLP untill I saw a JVC LCoS. Fantastic picture and with the new 1080P LCoS expected to be available in October we are going to wait untill then to take advantage of what should be a considerable price drop on the existing 720P JVC models.

DeanSheen

« Reply #9 on: 20 Sep 2005, 07:08 pm »
Quote from: Woodsea
I need to get a 37-40" LCD by next christmas.  I hope they come down in price.  LCD is the way to go for me, as they are better for ambiant light.  I will be using the projector for night viewing.
1080p is just icing on the cake.  Now if I can just get one with speakers....

Hey Wood......... they are cheap now, but will be getting cheaper all year.  I'd step it up beyond 40" if you can fit it.

Been reading about this for years, spend some time on AVSFORUM every week, mostly in the RPTV section.   I saw a Quaila in NYC, very nice.

Too much to cover but synopsis:

TV's will be dropping all year as there is increased demand and tons of models.  Plus, most of these technologies are getting older thus cheaper to produce.

1080P Plasma @ 65" is on the way shortly, forget the price but it wasnt too bad.

They are promising SED again by 2006/2007.  I wont hold my breath but man would that be nice.

720p seems fine if you are < 60" and dont view nearfield.  There are currently no sets that accept 1080P input natively though the upcoming HP is rumored to do so and possibly the new JVC's. New Sony SRXD defenitly do not.

Best contender for a set in my house: LCOS.  This would be a set by Sony the SRXD's which are coming out soon (1080P) or JVC Dila (1080P).  Would probably go with the JVC for price and the fact that I'm not that thrilled with SOny products.  May scale down slightly to a 56" vs. a 60" so the diff. in picture quality shouldnt be as much.

Cant wait for SED which should have the PQ of conventional tube tv's and the form factor of Plasma.

Me?  I'm still waiting for more content and D* to get those new sats humming.    Currently running a 36" JVC Le'Art thats a 3 year old stopgap that does raster compression on DVD's. It's been calibrated and the picture is very good.

byteme

« Reply #10 on: 20 Sep 2005, 08:34 pm »
Quote from: jgubman

I've got that same TV right now.  I carry both Samsung and JVC.  In side by side viewing the JVC kills the Sammy (IMO) even the Capt. Kirk version.  I got mine over a year ago now and it's absolutely glorious.  Yes, it's native 720p, but that's plenty for now.  There is more and more HD content all the time, but the reason I jumped when I did is because right now the broadcast standard is 720p/1080i.  What source are you going to get to provide 1080p?  HD-DVD is still too far away - studios are still wringing every last bit of $$ out of consumers to play nice with each other and agree on a freaking format and with two out there it'll either doom that technology or delay it for years.  Why not just wait for holographic storage??

In the mean time, I'm enjoying about the finest HD picture I've seen via Dish (now with VOOM!!) and OTA HD broadcasts.  If you're in the midwest let me know I can hook you up with either JVC or Sammys for a pretty sweet price.

Tweaker

« Reply #11 on: 20 Sep 2005, 10:04 pm »
What source are you going to get to provide 1080p? HD-DVD is still too far away - studios are still wringing every last bit of $$ out of consumers to play nice with each other and agree on a freaking format and with two out there it'll either doom that technology or delay it for years. Why not just wait for holographic storage??

I agree, and that is why I'm going to buy the 720P which is high definition enough for me and should become much more affordable as more 1080 models hit the stores.

klh

« Reply #12 on: 20 Sep 2005, 10:15 pm »
I saw the $13,000 Sony 70" and the Qualia 0006 in LV this past weekend. Both played 720p HDTV signals as well as pre-production Blueray. The 1080p source material was unbeleivable. I haven't even purchased anything for HD and the difference was plainly obvious.  The color and contrast on the 70" with Blueray was absolutely beautiful with no digital artifacts noticable at a distance of 10'. The 0006 wasn't calibrated properly (at least I hope), because the pricture wasn't nearly as good as that with the 70" TV. I'm sure part of that was due to a seated distance of about 9' for a 120" screen, but I expected more. If any of you are in Vegas, they have the Blueray player set up at the Sony Style store at The Forum Shops in Caesars Palace.