Tube Pre-Amps for Teac? [was: Teac First Impressions]

Gordy

« Reply #20 on: 18 Sep 2005, 05:40 am »
Hi Richard,

The Single Power pricing and upgrades are all listed on the site, you simply need to ferret them out!  Click on the "order" link and then you will see the pricing link...

All the best!

:oops:  sorry, they do lack the basic prices...

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 18 Sep 2005, 10:27 am »
Late to get on this fast moving train...

TCG,

My Clari-T drives my 89dB/w/m, 30 - 20,000 Hz, 8 ohm speakers pretty well (party levels in 5,000 cubic foot spaces doesn't work well) and its quality blows away the JVC ES-1 I auditioned extensively.  The JVC provided remarkable sound for the money, the Clari-T provides better sound without qualifiers (a bit less ultimate output, but much better bass control, resolution, build quality).  The stock Teac has gobs more power/bass control than the Clari-T, a 5 minute listen literally reintroduced me to what bass 8 inch drivers in transmission line cabinets are capable of.  Once I get settled into our new house/listening room the Teac is going in for Vino Mods, I can only imagine how good it will sound.  Trade the BPT in.

Richard,

From the reviews, the Singlepower base prices are:

PPX3 ?
PPX3-6SN7 $649
Supra $1699
MPX3 $849
Maestro ZR $3200
SDS $6500 (don't know what this even is)

What's the "Albert pre"?

Dan,

Getting better sound is what being an audiophile is all about, but like you suggest I'm not entirely sure what I'm missing without tubes (perhaps blissfully ignorant and blindly in love still with my Clari-T).  LESS = MORE would suggest staying off the grid and away from any extra components.  

I agree, the little tubes offer only a hint of tube magic but I don't want to gum up good sound with syrup either.  Without modding the Singlepower headphone amps for use as multiple input pre-amps, it would seem that the Mapletree or Eastern Electric pre-amps would be the logical options, yes?

Do you know if Singlepower offer preamp versions of their headphone amps (without going to the cost of the Maestro ZR)?  With many here assembling entire systems within the $1000 price range, $2500 for a touch of tube magic is out of line IMO.

-Richard-

« Reply #22 on: 18 Sep 2005, 12:22 pm »
like summer repeats

-Richard-

« Reply #23 on: 18 Sep 2005, 12:22 pm »
the hiccups

-Richard-

« Reply #24 on: 18 Sep 2005, 12:24 pm »
less=more

-Richard-

« Reply #25 on: 18 Sep 2005, 12:39 pm »
My knowledge of electronics has voids comparable to black holes...

However I have read that most tube products change AC current to
DC current in order to be useable for tubes...and that shift to DC is in
fact a form of filtering of the original AC current...I suspect that how
effectively filtered the original potentially dirty AC current is by this
process is to a large degree the result of circuit topology...

It must be left to other more knowledgeable and experienced audio
enthusiasts to go deeper into this subject...

But if this is correct...that well implemented tube gear "naturally" filters
AC current in order to be used by tubes for signal processing...then
a well designed tube preamp should not pose undue danger to the ClariT
or Vinnie moded Teac amplifier...

And while we are on the subject...logic would suggest that Vinnie's battery
powered amplifiers would also effectively "filter" the incoming preamp signal
just as it "filters" any incoming signal from CD players that are not themselves
battery powered...however this seems a bit more complicated if one factors
in any damage to the signal that the AC current could potentially impart to
the CD signal before it enters the ClariT for example...however most CD
players also have filters that are actively scrubbing the AC of recognized
aberrations...although it might be pointed out that this filtering process itself can
potentially injure the CD signal by an overly heavy handed use of scrubbing...

Hummm...Feedback here would be very helpful.

Warm regards -Richard-

Dmason

« Reply #26 on: 18 Sep 2005, 01:20 pm »
Richard

Your basic knowledge of thermionics is better than you think, by the sound of it. It is fairly easy to keep noise out of a good circuit because with a good power supply, the juice is so well regulated, no noise creeps in, in the first place. This is one of the nice things about Singlepower: they are designed AROUND the Octal tube, using a Jumbo power supply. Mikhail will provide pre amp capabilities for about a hun.

JLM

Once again, in response to your queries, I point out that I am not advocating anything here. I am sharing an experience. I am not changing "the rules" and suggesting that More=Less. What I am doing is weighing in with some experience on the matter of tube sound, and the fact that many people like the T sound using pre amps, and the fact that unfortunately the vogue au courant in pre amps is in the use of these miniature Triodes which only give a hint of what good tube sound can do, that they add abit of pixie dust around the transients and edges in the upper register, perhaps enhance "image," -which doesnt mean shit to any musicians out there, as a type of disqualifier.

I just feel it is unfortunate that many people get a tube introduction through a sort of diluted, suggested sound. The Octal tube, does things to the T sound along the lines of 1+1=7, in my experience.

An Albert pre amp is one made by Albert, who has a shop in Vancouver, and is well known for making extraordinary tube electronics whose sound is completely out of wack with its pricetag. I suggested the smallest model to Richard two years ago, exactly because it was very adaptable, and because it used full size tubes for a full size sound, and I had noticed that Albert made some outstanding single ended designs, using Octal and other full size tubes for input. These were more traditional designs, and that Albert must have been around awhile, to be inclined this way. Are tubes necessary, of course not. Not with the Vinnie T amps. Just like butter on lobster is unnecessary.

Qualifier: I spent abit more than a week recently using every minute of free time to visit with kids adjusting to wrecked bodies, burned faces, some Biblebelters now completely strung out on clinical opiates... the stuff you dont hear about or see on Fox News, so the addition of tubes here is unnecessary in the extreme.

Dmason

« Reply #27 on: 18 Sep 2005, 01:29 pm »
Richard

Your basic knowledge of thermionics is better than you think, by the sound of it. It is fairly easy to keep noise out of a good circuit because with a good power supply, the juice is so well regulated, no noise creeps in, in the first place. This is one of the nice things about Singlepower: they are designed AROUND the Octal tube, using a Jumbo power supply. Mikhail will provide pre amp capabilities for about a hun.

JLM

Once again, in response to your queries, I point out that I am not advocating anything here. I am sharing an experience. I am not changing "the rules" and suggesting that More=Less. What I am doing is weighing in with some experience on the matter of tube sound, and the fact that many people like the T sound using pre amps, and the fact that unfortunately the vogue au courant in pre amps is in the use of these miniature Triodes which only give a hint of what good tube sound can do, that they add abit of pixie dust around the transients and edges in the upper register, perhaps enhance "image," -which doesnt mean shit to any musicians out there, as a type of disqualifier.

I just feel it is unfortunate that many people get a tube introduction through a sort of diluted, suggested sound. The Octal tube, does things to the T sound along the lines of 1+1=7, in my experience.

An Albert pre amp is one made by Albert, who has a shop in Vancouver, and is well known for making extraordinary tube electronics whose sound is completely out of wack with its pricetag. I suggested the smallest model to Richard two years ago, exactly because it was very adaptable, and because it used full size tubes for a full size sound, and I had noticed that Albert made some outstanding single ended designs, using Octal and other full size tubes for input. These were more traditional designs, and that Albert must have been around awhile, to be inclined this way. Are tubes necessary, of course not. Not with the Vinnie T amps. Just like butter on lobster is unnecessary.

GHM

« Reply #28 on: 18 Sep 2005, 02:31 pm »
Anyone know of a good tubed line stage? One that is basically a buffer..no volume controls or switches. I may want to try tubes in between my Dac and integrated in the near future.

Thanks for any advice!

maxwalrath

« Reply #29 on: 18 Sep 2005, 03:33 pm »
GHM, before I added tubes to my system the musical fidelity X-10D did wonders for adding that special tube sound, and didn't take anything away imo.

I only got rid of it when I was using a tubed cdp into a tube integrated. Adding it in the chain with that rig still didn't take anything away from the sound that I could hear.

the newer version is supposed to be better, but more expensive ($300ish on audiogon vs $120)

GHM

« Reply #30 on: 18 Sep 2005, 04:14 pm »
Thanks Max for the input ! I'll check it out. It will be the only tube component in the system. Sounds like it maybe the ticket for adding just a tad of tube magic. :D

-Richard-

« Reply #31 on: 18 Sep 2005, 05:15 pm »
Science creates its own postulates and technology shapes itself
around them...

But science is not a fixed or static series of constructs...
but a fluid and continuous rethinking of everything that appears within
the ground of the "real"...

It is incumbent upon us as the children of modernity to express our lives
as an unfolding realization of what is possible...to step out of the limited
conditioned mind to express life as the limitless...the unknown...

That means being open and willing to experiment a bit with everything that
comes within our sphere of influence...and that on every level of being...

The consequences for not being open to life is rigidity and ultimately death...
and that includes psychological death...the shutting down of the mind...

Warm regards -Richard-

TheChairGuy

« Reply #32 on: 18 Sep 2005, 06:34 pm »
Hey, been travelling back from Chicago Trade Show and missed 3 pages I see... :)

The Dynaco pre I'll pair the TEAC up with is only about 10 years old...not exactly vintage.  The PAS-4 is from the new Panor Corporation...the folks that bought the Dynaco name a decade-and-a-half ago and introduced products under that label.

It runs a pair of (Sovtek now)12AX7's and pair of (Sovtek) 6922's in phono and a pair of (Sovtek) 6922's in line.  Each tube has a buffered circuit and it is very clean and clear sounding as a result.  It was designed by John Nunez - the fella' that designed the MFA line in the late 80's and 90's.  It's amazingly capable and really cheap used...I've seen it for $350 on A-gon.

I tried several pricier combo's of tubes, and kept coming back to the Sovtek's.

It's way better than the stock (truly vintage) PAS-3 it replaced - I've just never gotten to get it to sound right with one of several amps (all solid state) paired with it.

I'm hoping the TEAC contributes the tight, deep snap of bass that I like with the broad, deep and engaging midrange of the Dynaco...without losing the amazingly fluid upper registers I have accustomed myself with the JVC's.  

Basically, I'm looking for a tanden that will drive the MMG's right smartly, with engaging bass, midrange and treble....much as I enjoyed with the JVC ES1sl and Vandy 1c's a while back.  WolfyChris, I think that was the JVC that you tested long ago, right?

Octal tubes will have take a back seat for a time....I got's what I gots to play with now    :)

Dmason

« Reply #33 on: 18 Sep 2005, 09:03 pm »
John

With 6922's in the driver seat, the Dynaco will have a not so subtle sound, and I will be very interested to see how this pans out. I thought the unit was much older, along the lines of the early 70's stuff, like the 70, and the PA-3 and 2, when Dynaco-saurs ruled the Earth. Dr Peppards retrofit input section for the Dynaco 70 looks pretty interesting as well. Here's to phaT sound, let us know.

Meantime, maybe Vinnie should suss out a summed Octal circuit and build it for battery power. Like an Octal version of the Welborne Ultrapath. Something like this would draw ALOT of attention from all over.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #34 on: 18 Sep 2005, 11:25 pm »
Sorry Vinnie......I think I'm most to blame for diverting the original posts intention:

:)

....but, as long as it's now changed, I can say I'm really looking forward to the pairing of it with a tube pre.  And, if it be what all here assembled say it be, you might have another TEAC at your door soon enough.

miklorsmith

« Reply #35 on: 18 Sep 2005, 11:27 pm »
To clear the air, the Modwright stuff uses the 5687 and variants.  The product is not artificially endowed, rather delivering a linear and very quiet signal.  Dmason's assumptions about the sound, aside from the fact that the tube-type is different, are mostly incorrect.  It is true that they are not lush or "pfat".  That's a design choice.  It also produces a measured 122 db signal-to-noise ratio.  Looking at the review of one of the DeHavillands on 6moons, this number is listed at 85 db.  That's a LOT noisier.  With lower sensitivity speakers, this might be alright, but speakers in excess of 100 db sensitivity demand quiet gear.  I haven't heard these units, as Dmason hasn't heard mine, but noise is a big concern.

Audiohead goodies aren't my top priority either.  What the Modwright baby triode pre does for me is impart an additional depth and dimension that transistors struggle with.  It isn't lush or gooey, but it isn't clinical either.  As I've said before, I imagine the preference is one of system matching, especially with speakers, and personal taste.

A lot of folks would bash lush sound as being untrue and distorted vs. the original signal.  In fact, that is what is most often forwarded in criticism of tubed gear generally.  That some of the newer designers are challenging those old assumptions is admirable.

Dmason

« Reply #36 on: 18 Sep 2005, 11:46 pm »
Miklorsmith,

If you are taking ANY of this personally, I suggest things are going very well for you, perhaps too well, and you might look elsewhere for the stressors needed to balance things out. Your lack of humility is astounding. If you want to get your nose outta joint here, I for one, am all sold out. It is horses for courses in sound, as in "no shit, really?" and I always qualify my observations. NOTE, the term "observation." If you want to turn things into a pissing match, I'd love to read any PM you care to serve up. It is bullshit sanctimony like yours that is turning me off audio fora in general. Originally I say AC as an alternative to the regular witch burnings over at Audio Salem, but that ol' black magic seems to be creeping in here too. So much for alittle fun here and there. Maybe you can use that rect-ifier tube to massage something other than electrical current. :lol:  I'll keep my adventures to myself from now on. ps, at no time were any of my meanderings engendered toward anything you own.

Occam

« Reply #37 on: 19 Sep 2005, 02:15 am »
Dmason,

If you are taking ANY of this personally, I suggest things are [not] going very well for you, perhaps too well, and you might look elsewhere for the stressors needed to balance things out. Your lack of humility is astounding. If you want to get your nose outta joint here, I for one, am greatly amused.
I can only opine that your observations, as you acknowledge, are rather limited in scope and breadth.
If you want to turn things into a pissing match, I'd love to read any PM (or public response) you care to serve up. It is bullshit sanctimony like yours, and largely content free posts, that is turning me off audio forums in general. Originally I saw AC as an alternative to the regular witch burnings over at Audio Salem, but that ol' black magic seems to be creeping in here too. So much for alittle fun here and there. Maybe you can use that rect-ifier tube to massage something other than electrical current. :lol:

What is good for the goose, is good for the gander.

EDIT - Better yet - Physician, heal thyself

Warmest Regards.
Occam

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #38 on: 19 Sep 2005, 03:34 am »
Your lack of humility is astounding...

Unless I missed something or one of the posts in this thread was edited... all I can say is... huh?????... I don't know Miklorsmith, but I'm pretty sure his first post was in jest...

Dmason, I suggest you start at the beginning of this thread and see who's coming off sanctimonious. Miklorsmith's response was an even-tempered civil reply to your very derisive and speculative comments about something you've never heard.. the Modwright preamp. There's nothing wrong with having a little fun here and there... but the underlying message of all of your posts is... everyone else in audio is a dipshit except for you and a select few. Seriously, for someone who's signature was "an ounce of pretension is worth a pound of manure"... my god, you are pompous. By all means share your adventures, you have a lot to say... but step off the pedestal once in a while.

watersb

« Reply #39 on: 19 Sep 2005, 03:44 am »
Quote from: TheChairGuy
Sorry Vinnie......I think I'm most to blame for diverting the original posts intention:

:)

....but, as long as it's now changed, I can say I'm really looking forward to the pairing of it with a tube pre.

SInce I was the initial post, I edited the title of the thread... Tube Pre-amps are much more interesting :)

I think that's because these new "digital" thingamagigs sound a lot more musical, a lot more tube-like, and -- perhaps ironically -- are an introducing the advantages of tube sound to a new generation of listeners.

I have to say that my only exposure to tube amplifiers are Fender guitar amps from twenty years ago -- the typical forlorn high-school garage band -- and more recently, things I've read in IEEE Spectrum and on forums such as this one.

But that little T-Amp, when I pushed it past 7,8 Watts, showed be that the distortion characteristics can be sweet, particularly with dynamic classical music or live recordings.

These days, all recordings have EQ set to follow the characteristics of pedestrian equipment. it's really hard to even know that you're missing anything, unless you've ever been exposed to the production side of live performance audio reinforcement.