Kanye West's "performance" at the Apple conference

nathanm

« on: 11 Sep 2005, 05:51 pm »
Did anyone happen to catch this?

http://stream.apple.akadns.net/

Fast forward to about 75% into it.  J

I don't claim to be a rap fan by any stretch, there's a few I can dig and if not I can usually see why OTHER people like a certain artist.  But this performance at the end of the presentation was downright dreadful.  I mean, it was just embarassingly horrible.  Jaw-droppingly bad.  Like a junior high talent show.  A stage the size of a football field and there some dude up there with a cheesy sequencer and the guy starts rapping - terrible microphony sound...rap laid bare for the live performance failure it seems to be.  I can only image the crowd there was similarly agape.  THIS shit is the top seller on iTunes?  What? Wha?  Why? Huh?! :banghead:

Okay, so now I'm listening to his record at allofmp3 and it's a little better with a studio production, but...wow.  Probably the worst rap performance I can ever recall seeing.  Is it just me or does this stuff just fall apart in a live setting?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2005, 07:02 pm »
Nathan,
are you referring to part one or part two of the presentation and could you supply the time point in minutes? It's a lo-o-o-o-ng presentation.
Russell

EMM801

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2005, 08:27 pm »
Almost all the way at the end, like the last 5 minutes.

I didn't waste as much time on it as nathan did. 30 secs after it started, I'd gone elsewhere. Shame that someone with actual talent- Yo Yo Ma- was there, but didn't perform.

Pop music today isn't an art form for the most part, just another mass-produced commodity. This was a perfect example. The Nano was a helluva lot more interesting than the rappa.

nathanm

« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2005, 03:49 am »
They removed the performance!  Last time I checked the video ended with the iPod Nano bit.  No awkwardly bad rap show.  Damn.  My hope is that is was because of the blatant suckitude of his rapping but I'm more inclined to believe it was a sweep-under-the-rug PR move after his comments about Bush with Mike Meyers(as shown in some other thread here).  But I don't want to start a separate issue on that.  Well, I DO, but AC admin would have to sweep it too under the rug! Heh!