RWA SB2, FirstWatt F1, and DD 1.3/206E: Newfound synergy

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
While enjoying the SB2/ClariT/BB FTA2000 setup, I thought I would give the F1 a last chance before putting it for sale.  Pairing it with the BB FTA2000s has not helped much.  Even with the more analog sounding SB2 as the source, I felt the SB2 would need 6 volts output to "tell" the 10w F1 to drive the FTA2000s with more juice.  Interestingly, the ClariT monoblocks easily drive the same speakers while I had to max out the SB2 (full 40 steps) to get the F1/FTA2000 a near decent volume.

Anyway, I figured higher efficiency would help.  So I pulled the David Dicks 1.3/206E, connected the trio SB2/F1/1.3 and sat down for a listen.  This was more like it.  45 minutes later, any trace of sterile highs and bloated bass went away.  Instead, I heard pleasant details, dynamics, voices taking on a healthy and lean image.

As many have said, good sound is all about synergy.  I'm so glad I've found a combination that makes use of the almost abandoned F1/1.3/206E combo.  Or is it the better source - SB2?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2005, 10:42 am »
Paul,

To each their own, but I find the cabinet design/construction and driver of the FTA-2000 far superior to the DD 1.3/206E.  No doubt better synergy may exist between the F1 and the DDs, but I'd find it hard to hold on to an amp (a not so inexpensive one at that) just because it works well with a rather middle of the road speaker when you've got better ones.

BTW have you tried the SB2 and Clari-T with the DD's to change just one variable at a time?

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2005, 01:35 pm »
JLM,

Sorry if I may have given the impression that the new combo sounds better than the SB2/ClariT/FTA2000 setup.  That was not the case.  I just got excited when adding the SB2 made the F1/1.3 sound better and more listenable than my earlier experience with conventional source.  Second, at 10wpc the F1 doesn't have enough juice to drive the FTA to a sufficient volume level.  Perhaps an impedance mismatch?  Third, with SB2 technonoly it's quite possible to have a different system in another room/floor, sounding good enough to be enjoyable.

I have not tried the ClariT with the SB2/1.3 combo, probably because I feel the SB2/ClariT/FTA is already a complete package that won't need a variable.  Nevertheless, the F1 will stay with me longer than I thought.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2005, 10:47 pm »
Paul,

Timing is everything.  The F1 may be a fad, soon to be forgotten.  I say that because so much in audio is a fad and a 10 wpc solid state amp is an odd-ball.  Not to slam the builder or the product at all, but if it's like most audio stuff it's loosing resale value by the day.  I've heard the DD 1.3/206E and it's no prize IMO.  As you describe, the 206E is a lean sounding driver, and the unbraced cabinet fills in extra bass.  This is a prime example of the cabinet producing nearly as much acoustically energy as the driver.  Hardly worthy of your fine taste.

Here's an idea for anyone:  Sell unwanted audio equipment, donate the proceeds to Katrina relief, and claim the gift on your taxes.  It's a win-win-win.  You clear floor space and end up with net money in your pocket, the victims receive help, and the buyer is benefitted (and hopefully satisfied with the piece and knowing that they helped with the relief).