Clari-T with Bastanis Prometheus ???

brashgordon

« on: 4 Sep 2005, 08:40 pm »
Anyone considered this pairing?

Currently running the AirForce MK II with dual Titan subs, Brian Cherry's Lady Days w/max tweaks (all silver, Blackgate, etc).

I just find it hard to accept something so small....can sound as BIG as all the posts lead me to believe.

Anyone else abandoned 300B's for Clari-T's ???

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2005, 10:00 pm »
SET versus Clari-T is apples versus oranges.

SETs I know lack deep bass, most are romantically warm, and all have enhanced imaging.

The Clari-T is more dynamic, has incredible bass grip, outpowers typical SETs, and has more ......... clarity.

As always preference and synergy will determine which is best for you.

GHM

« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2005, 10:35 pm »
I can't remeber at the moment who the member is . But there's a member that has already done this. Maybe he will comment soon.

smargo

Re: Clari-T with Bastanis Prometheus ???
« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2005, 11:39 pm »
Quote from: brashgordon
Anyone considered this pairing?

Currently running the AirForce MK II with dual Titan subs, Brian Cherry's Lady Days w/max tweaks (all silver, Blackgate, etc).

I just find it hard to accept something so small....can sound as BIG as all the posts lead me to believe.

Anyone else abandoned 300B's for Clari-T's ???

The clarit sounds wonderful with my polk lsi15's as i have noted before in this forum yet on the contrary i haven't abandoned my el34 cayin amp which is also very satisfying. I switch when I'm in the mood.

I don't know why we have to have just one source and abandon all others?

Can't two different amps be satisfying?

Regards
smargo

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2005, 02:51 am »
Quote from: GHM
I can't remeber at the moment who the member is . But there's a member that has already done this. Maybe he will comment soon.

Hi brashgordon,

Welcome to the Red Wine Audio Circle!  

GHM is correct, and I believe it is Panda Gary who is using his Clari-T with the Bastanis.

Quote from: brashgordon

If you are using high efficiency speakers, you do not need a large power amp to get big sound.  I believe that the testimonials of my customers (which I am VERY greatful for!) clearly support this:

http://www.redwineaudio.com/Clari_T_Amp_Testimonials.html

http://www.redwineaudio.com/Custom_Clari_T_Testimonials.html

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Regards,

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2005, 06:04 am »
GHM is correct, and I believe it is Panda Gary who is using his Clari-T with the Bastanis.
    Here's gary's post :[/list:u]
    Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:48 pm    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm thrilled with my system:

Samsung 841 dvd player as transport ->
    Red Wine Audio digital coax cable ->
    Scott Nixon NOS dacKit w/ Red Wine Audio battery mods & cap upgrade ->
    DIY Silver in teflon interconnects w/ Bullet Plugs ->
    Red Wine Audio Clari-T amp w/ stepped attenuators & BG caps ->
    Bastanis Prometheus open baffle speakers.

The only upgrade coming any time soon is a new transport, hopefully it will be a battery-powered one from Red Wine Audio. Unfortunately all of this gear has been sitting idle for two months as I just moved in to a new house and I have no place to put it. The other day the girlfriend was away so I set everything up in my livingroom and it struck me 1) how goddamn good it sounds and 2) how much I miss listening to music. Time to work on converting the basement to a listening room I think.

Gary
    [/list:u]

gary

« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2005, 01:54 pm »
    As stated above, I've got the Prometheus speakers and I'm driving them with a Clari-T that's been upgraded with stepped attenuators, a sub output, and better capacitors. I've also got a Scott Nixon DacKit that Vinnie built for me, this is important as the whole chain is basically dead silent. The speakers are phenomenal, if you can build them and tolerate an incredibly long burn-in period (mine sounded so bad at first that I literally wanted to burn them) they are IMO unbeatable for anywhere near the price. Only speaker I've heard that I'd consider an upgrade would be WLM's, and they're way over $10k.

If you want any specific info on the speakers or how they mate up with the Red Wine Audio stuff feel free to send me a PM. I'm in Europe at the moment, it might take me a little while to respond but I'll get back to you.

Gary

brashgordon

« Reply #7 on: 6 Sep 2005, 10:26 pm »
    Know what you mean about the long break-in time....covered mine with blankets and played loudly....24 X 7 ...for a month or so. Tried to ignore the movement under the blankets....

Then ....one day....music came out....and it's been getting better each day since.

I do have the twin 12" independantly driven sub's / boxes... so the inherrent shortcomings of 300B's are not a large issue (I do see the need for twin sub-outs from any Clari-T amp I might choose)

I'm using a tubed pre-amp (with a M/M phono stage) to drive the 300B's and keep planning to take it out and just let my AH! CDP drive the 300Bs... but....can't seem to get around to it.

I'll have a Resolution Audio CDP to listen to....for the next 10 days or so , I hope to be prepared to hear what can be achieved on a budget....LOL...
    at the RMAF...

Source material....is growing more important....
    Trying to make bad material sound like HiFi, is a CHORE....

gary

« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2005, 06:18 am »
    If you're going to be at RMAF try and get Vinnie to let you bring a Clari-T to the Baul's Audio room. Bill already owns one of his own and I'm pretty sure he'd be glad to let you hear how it sounds driving his speakers if Vinnie had one to borrow. Be sure to see if he has a battery DAC there too, that's key. I wish I was able to go there this year, I'd definitely bring my amp & dac like I did at Montreal.

Gary

brashgordon

« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2005, 08:07 pm »
    Regarding the Battery DAC....Gary, you have a Scott Nixon, if I recall...is it the tube DAC ??  I'm a die hard tube nut....and find all this S/S stuff....."threatening"...LOL...

I'm looking at the Monica, but 6 of one....half dozen etc...

it's the battery that's the primary focus here, right ??

I know Bill, and will be there for some late night listening when his Allegiance to the DIY world.... could..... migrate into the S/S zone....for a couple of drinks...

Geeze.... it's like asking a Republican Congress to approve an Alec Baldwin appointment to the supreme court...

Not that there's anything WRONG with that....

LOL

:lol: :nono: :lol: :nono: :o :o :o:nono: :lol:  :nono:  

:stupid: