NuForce preamp

Nick B

NuForce preamp
« on: 1 Sep 2005, 06:54 pm »
What's the latest on the NuForce preamp? I need to get my preamp's attenuator replaced and am toying with the idea of not spending the money for that and trying the new preamp instead. I thought that the preamp would be out sometime in October. Is that still the target date? As I recall, it will be active with remote control, but no phono. Price less than $2,000? Thanks

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
NuForce preamp
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2005, 11:29 pm »
Unfortunately we're still working on the preamp. This is our high end preamp and it takes longer that we anticipated to get the performance we want for the volume control with remote.  Yes, it will be priced below $2K.

mmakshak

Your new preamp
« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2005, 05:54 am »
I apologize in advance for this question.  Will your new preamp include a high quality phono section?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
NuForce preamp
« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2005, 06:59 pm »
Here's the spec of the preamp, still working on it.

1)   Input:  Balanced (1 set), Phono (optional card), CD, Home Theater, Tuner.  Tape in/out
2)   Digital Volume control
3)   Output:  RCA (2 set), Balanced 1 set
4)   AC input (85-265 worldwide 50/60Hz)
5)   Target Dimension, less than 16” wide, 10.5” deep
6)   Performance target:  100Khz bandwidth, low THD 0.001%

JAMn Joe

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.jamnaudio.com
NuForce preamp
« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2005, 11:11 pm »
Jason,

May I suggest you consider 2 balanced outputs and 2 RCA. With NuForce including both balanced and RCA jacks on the Ref9's, the advantage of additional gain off the balanced input is a plus depending on the speakers paired with the amps. However, in a biamped situation one would not be able to use the balanced input due to the higher gain output and would be left to have to use the RCA's which then precludes a subwoofer connection.

I have been searching for a preamp with dual balanced outputs for biamping the Ref9's and continue to come up empty handed. If NuForce can add that additional output my problem is solved and synergy should not be an issue. Just something for you to think about. :?:

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
NuForce preamp
« Reply #5 on: 9 Sep 2005, 05:24 pm »
Quote from: JAMn Joe

I have been searching for a preamp with dual balanced outputs fo ...

Different kind of animal, but a Tact RCS 2.2X with dual DAC cards on board gets you 2 sets of balanced XLR outputs, 2 sets of RCA outputs, and dual digital outputs....  how you choose to use the digital crossover for the 4 channels or simply run all 4 channels full range is your choice :)

Of course we're talking $5K MSRP for it in this configuration.... but it does give you full blown room correction as well....  The Ref amps work very very well with the Tact. :)

But for folks looking for a more affordable piece and something conventional without room correction, it would be great if the Nuforce preamp had dual XLR outputs for the very reason you are describing.  Great suggestion!....

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
NuForce preamp
« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2005, 04:41 am »
The Ref amps work very very well with the Tact

Can you post your configuration with the Tact and NuForce? Are you using the full XLR configuration or RCA?

Tony (tdangelo)'s system at home is having buzzing noise problem with his Tact and NuForce (he removed the Tact and just connect his squeeze box to nuforce and the noise went away). See the thread at
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=21413&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10

mmakshak

Your preamp, my system
« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2005, 04:16 pm »
Pardon my ignorance, please.  With a turntable setup, will I still need a phono amp(with the RIAA correction)?  Also, I have the 8.01b's.  Is this preamp a single-ended design or balanced(i.e., will I still need the Cardas adaptors-which I have.)?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
NuForce preamp
« Reply #8 on: 16 Sep 2005, 08:07 am »
Here's the spec for our "entry level" preamp P-8. We hope to release two preamps this year.  P-8 will be out first.

1-U height remote controlled preamp
Audio input:  3 sets of RCA input, 1 3.5mm phone jack input (for IPOD), 1 set of RCA output
Remote input selection, volume control, with memory retention (last selection, volume level)
100W SMPS with PFC supply
Digitally-controlled analog volume control.
Mute Function
WIDE GAIN AND ATTENUATION RANGE
+31.5dB to –95.5dB with 0.5dB Steps
120dB Dynamic Range
0.001% THD+N at 1kHz
Crosstalk    –130dBFS
Physical:  1.75” x 8.5” x 16”,  6lb
Electrical: AC 90-240 auto select
Color:  Black or Silver brushed aluminum
Suggested retail price:  $895

Sorry mmakshak, the balanced in/out will only be available in the P-9, the higher end preamp.  For those who have a pair of NuForce amps but don't want to upgrade to HT pack and prefer to stay in the 2 channel world, you can get P-7 or P-8 at special discount.

Beano

NuForce preamp
« Reply #9 on: 17 Sep 2005, 01:40 am »
Would the sound quality specs be the same for all the 3 preamp models? or would the P9 have superior sonics to the P8 or P7?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
NuForce preamp
« Reply #10 on: 17 Sep 2005, 02:13 am »
P-8 is our entry level preamp and it should be good or else we can't release it.
P-9 is the spare no expense kind of high end preamp. All the RCA connectors are WBT original (cost a fortune to have so many of them). P-9 and P-8 have different design so they are not just repackaged with some expensive parts.  I have posted P-8 concept diagram (see the similarity with Ref 8 and 9).
We will be offering bundle pricing with Ref 8 and 9 (apply to existing customers).

mmakshak

Your preamp
« Reply #11 on: 30 Sep 2005, 06:06 pm »
I just re-read your posting, and I see that it includes a phono card.  Do you finally have a turntable at your place to see how it sounds?  I know, at least, Casey has one at home(I'll be getting a Linn, ekos, archiv, Lingo, Mana soon).  Now that (Ihope) I'll be getting my turntable, I want to mention that one ought to consider if their turntable(or other pieces of audio equipment) company will still be in business ten years from now.  I have a Ariston rd 110, Oracle delphi 2, and an AR es-1(all of which have gone out of business at some point).  Maybe something sounds better-I don't care.  Also, all you people that think that a DC motor sounds better than an AC motor might want to compare the original delphi with the mk2(I know, they screwed-up the suspension at the same time).  Note:  they have gone back to an AC motor in the Mk5(possibly earlier), and their DC motor was the Pabst(was that the blue ribbon one?) which is/was highly regarded.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
NuForce preamp
« Reply #12 on: 29 Nov 2005, 08:41 am »
P-8 is FINALLY scheduled for shipping the week of December 26. We evaluated the sound today and it is GOOD. Spec is shown on our website and repeated here:

Audio input:  3 sets of RCA input, 1 3.5mm stereo jack input (for Ipod), 1 set of RCA output, 1 set of XLR output (active conversion from RCA)
Remote input selection, volume control, with memory retention (last selection, volume level)
100W SMPS with PFC supply
Digitally-controlled analog volume control.
Mute Function
WIDE GAIN AND ATTENUATION RANGE
+31.5dB to –95.5dB with 0.5dB Steps

The measurement spec will be updated after we have production units.
This is our entry level preamp and though not a giant killer (like the Ref 9  :guns: ), it will still kick a lot of asses  :).  It uses high quality parts found in preamps costing many times more.

The final product will look almost identical to the concept photo except:
1) Remote control IR sensor at the lower left corner
2) 3 sets of sand-blast finishing black, gold and silver control knobs will be included with the preamp and you can mix and match them to suit your taste.

We have limited 1st production batch and they're expected to be distributed amount each dealer for showroom demo.  Unlike our amp, the preamp's design is very straight forward :).  The pre-production unit sounded just as good (but faster) as the current preamp (we won't name it) that we're using for listening test!

At $895, this is incredible.  This is not it, check out the P-8 and Ref 8 promotion and also IA-7 (shocking performance/price ratio)

Russell Dawkins

NuForce preamp
« Reply #13 on: 29 Nov 2005, 08:57 am »
Congratulations, Jason.
This is sooner than I expected - you people must be busy!
Are any units out for review yet?
Russell

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
NuForce preamp
« Reply #14 on: 29 Nov 2005, 09:25 am »
We will be sending a few review units to reviewers around mid December. We have gained enough confident with our Ref 8/9 (name another amp company within the 1st year of its product launch that has received as many favorable reviews as NuForce  :oops: ) that we think the P-8 is pretty good.  :lol:

NealH

NuForce preamp
« Reply #15 on: 29 Nov 2005, 10:03 am »
Does the P8/P9 employ an all discrete signal path or, is it op-amp based?

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
NuForce preamp
« Reply #16 on: 1 Dec 2005, 03:31 am »
We use as many IC and discrete components as needed, and as we deem the best component for the job at the right price point.

MaxCast

NuForce preamp
« Reply #17 on: 2 Dec 2005, 11:27 am »
What will the cost difference be between the P8 and P9?  Will the P9 have remote input select?  How many inputs?

On a sadder note, only three inputs and intro price only for existing customers. :(

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
NuForce preamp
« Reply #18 on: 2 Dec 2005, 05:10 pm »
P-9 is going to retail for $2000 or more. We haven't confirm the spec because it is not done.  It will have XLR in/out. There will be more inputs and outputs. It will probably come standard with WBT NextGen RCA etc.
P-9 will also have a remote control volume.

Both P-8 and P-9 use high end remote volume control. With NuForce products, it is not too flashy but you can expect top level performance.
I believe P-8 and P-9 can be daisy chain too. Two of them will be a good set for multi-channel music.

I love Porsche so I will use the car as an example.
P-8 is like the boxter/Carrera
P-9 is like Cayman S (boxter coupe)/Carrera S
and there will be a future model that cost a fortune like the Carrera GT  :lol:

On a sadder note, only three inputs and intro price only for existing customers.

If you don't own a NuForce amp, no discount for P-8. We have to take care of existing customers. You can go buy a pair of Ref 9 and still get 30% discount for P-8 but will have to do it by end of 2005!

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
NuForce preamp
« Reply #19 on: 24 Dec 2005, 07:42 am »
I am posting this while on vacation. Heard from Casey that measurement and listening test of P-8 produced incredible result.  We over designed P-8 :).
P-8 has 0.001% THD+N and listening test showed that it outperformed Casey's $5000 preamp at home.  Therefore we have to raise the 2006 price to $1095.