What do you have your ClariT on?

Verne M.

« on: 26 Aug 2005, 06:22 pm »
I've got Rollerblocks under my CD and DAC, and I was wondering what folks are using under their ClariT amps.  Anyone using an isolation shelf like those from Symposium, or less exotic platforms like granite?  Has what you've done made a difference?

gary

« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2005, 07:21 pm »
I've tried my amp on a granite slab with my own footers, I couldn't hear the slightest difference. From what I can tell the tripath chip just isn't sensitive to vibration in the least. YMMV.

Gary

maxwalrath

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2005, 06:00 am »
Herbies feet. Not much for A/Bing, especially for cables and tweaks.

Didn't notice a difference. I do have the feet though, and I'm not willing to do a comparison, and not willing to sell them and leave the Clari-T bare.

stupid hobby.... :wink:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2005, 12:51 am »
Gary,

Thanks for being honest.  I bought your black feet (use three) for the Clari-T and haven't noticed a difference either.  It was my first, and maybe last isolation purchase.  Thank goodness I didn't spend $100's on fancy feet.

Unless your really pushing the spls I don't see how feet, or any kind of isolation product, can make much of a difference.

maxwalrath

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2005, 03:31 am »
JLM, I had more success using isolation under my cdp and speakers. If you have the feet, try them under your cdp. I noticed a difference.

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2005, 05:22 am »
Quote from: maxwalrath
JLM, I had more success using isolation under my cdp and speakers. If you have the feet, try them under your cdp. I noticed a difference.

That's true.  I had my Shanling SCDT200 on Mapleshade brass cones and maple block with very good results in isolation/vibration drainage.  Tripath chip amps and SB2 however don't seem to be affected by such tweaks.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2005, 10:54 am »
Max,

I bought (the correct type/number of) Panda Feet for the DAC and CDP, but can't say that I noticed any difference.  OTOH I'm in temporary digs and will need room treatment, etc. first when the system finally gets into its permanent home.  Currently the 100 pound speakers sit on hardwood floors that we're trying to sell so the plastic numbs are fine, but the permanent place will be carpet/pad on concrete, so I'll do the spikes then.

I'm also not into audio racks.  I've looked hard at them and in a cost is no object/ultimate system world I'd do it.  In fact I'll be using a small $30 Ikea nightstand for a rack in my $3000 system.  With a background in structural engineering and having dabbled in structural dynamics I just can't accept the value of special racks or feet at "ordinary" spls given the limited energy levels.  Vinyl playback and spongy floors are a different matter, but I'll be using concrete slab on grade and PC.

And while I've easily heard the difference between $1000 speaker cables, I'm currently using single pair of cryo'd single strand plenum rated CAT5 that I got for $20 on a group buy a year ago.  It gives up some bass, but the rest of it's performance more than makes up.

Verne M.

Good information
« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2005, 03:29 pm »
Thanks for the info...interesting how vibration does not seem to affect Tripath chip.  I don't mind not spending $ on vibration control.

FWIW the Rollerblocks made a positive, worthwhile difference under my multidisc CDP.