Len Wallis Audio

JohnR

Len Wallis Audio
« on: 23 Aug 2005, 11:48 am »
I went "window shopping" in Len Wallis Audio (Sydney) the other day (Sunday). I guess I just wanted to see what passes for a hifi store in Sydney these days... It's been about ten years, the store is now enormous. I was a little taken aback when I found myself wandering around in a bathroom and kitchen -- I thought I had accidentally gone into a home renovations store by mistake!

It seems, though, that LWA is a big supplier for custom installs and the like. Four speakers in the bathroom ceiling... um OK. I found the sound in the "living room" very boomy in midbass, basically I was unimpressed.

Lots of home theater, I guess that's where the money is these days. Only two turntables in the whole place.

Ah well. Anyone know of any *interesting* stores in Sydney?

navi

Len Wallis Audio
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2005, 05:19 am »
every now and then, LWA also has pretty good bargins in there 2nd hand department-

Audio connections seems to have some pretty good gear as well.

chadh

Len Wallis Audio
« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2005, 01:29 pm »
My sister used to live in Lane Cove, just about five minutes' walk from Len Wallis.  So during a visit I wandered in, and spent the first ten minutes wondering where the audio gear was.

Eventually I had a chat with one of the guys there - he seemed completely astonished that anyone would bother to enquire about a passive volume control/preamp.  I soon got the idea that I was probably in the wrong place, unless I wanted to buy a pair of Halcro monoblocks.

Chad

amdan

Len Wallis Audio
« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2005, 11:41 am »
I went in there a couple of years ago, when I started to upgrade my system. The sales guy was so incredibly obnoxious and arrogant that I decided I would never spend a cent there. So far, they have lost about $22K of business.

Andy G

Hi John R !! long time no see !!!
« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2006, 11:42 pm »
I was going to point you to Bill McLeans at Long Jetty, but it looks like he has changed to HT stuff as well :(  
Last time I was there he had some nice Plinius, Magnaplanar etc ..  you know...nice stuff !!

Finding somewhere that caters just to high end audio for music is going to be very difficult, methinks !!!!!

ipy

Re: Hi John R !! long time no see !!!
« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2006, 01:31 am »
Quote from: Andy G
I was going to point you to Bill McLeans at Long Jetty, but it looks like he has changed to HT stuff as well :(  
Last time I was there he had some nice Plinius, Magnaplanar etc ..  you know...nice stuff !!

Finding somewhere that caters just to high end audio for music is going to be very difficult, methinks !!!!!

Unless you are in Sydney or Melbourne.  If you happen to be in Sydney next, check out Audiophile Utopia.  No HT gear unfortunately?? :nono:
http://www.geocities.com/audiophile_utopia/
Tony not only carries high end gear but he deals with audiophile CDs & Vinyl as well................
His most recent addition is the YBA pre & amps.