Perpetual P-1A Turbomod with Superclock3 now available

audioengr

The P-1A can be used to upsample to 24/96 and interpolate using the P-3A as a DAC only. This mode results in one of the best hardware upsamplers we have heard. All three program LED's on the P-3A should be lit green and the first program LED on the P-1A should be lit green. The performance of the modded P-1A with a good Transport (the Sony DVP-S7700 with Turbomod) and digital cable (Bitmeister) rivals the performance of the P-3A when used with the Off-Ramp Turbo and a computer. For this reason, we are naming this a Turbomod. We recommend using an improved aftermarket I2S cable, although the stock cable actually sounds quite amazing. We recommend the Superclock with this mod as it makes a tremendous difference.

Turbomod Details:

Rectifiers are replaced with HEXFRED's
    Input filter caps upgraded and noise filters added
    Digital input cap upgraded
    Numerous decoupling caps added
    Ground-plane splits repaired
    Black Gate cap added
    Optional modded Superclock3 to replace main oscillator
    Optional modded SuperTurboclock to replace main oscillator
    Optional changes to accomodate Empirical battery power supply [/list:u]

Pricing:
    Turbomod - $665

Option 1: Modded Superclock3 - $450

Option 2: Modded SuperTurboclock3 - $550

Option 3: Battery power supply enabling - no charge

Battery Power Source with "Gas Gauge", fusing, soft switching, fast 117VAC charger and AC Adapter (runs on AC or battery) - $475.00

Battery Power Source with "Gas Gauge", fusing, soft switching, fast universal charger and AC Adapter (runs on AC or battery) - $501.00

Battery Power Source with "Gas Gauge", fusing, soft switching, fast 117VAC charger (runs on battery only) - $425.00

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2005, 12:07 am »
Have you tried the P1a as the upsampler instead of Foobar2K or Secret Rabbit?

That is PC > foobar2K > P1a> P3a

not

PC > foobar2K/upsampled to 24/96 > P3a

audioengr

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2005, 12:41 am »
Quote from: Marbles
Have you tried the P1a as the upsampler instead of Foobar2K or Secret Rabbit?

That is PC > foobar2K > P1a> P3a

not

PC > foobar2K/upsampled to 24/96 > P3a

Okay, here is what I did:

1) Off-Ramp Turbo 44.1 -> Turbomod P-1A -> Turbomod P-3A
2) Off-Ramp Turbo 24/96 SRC resampler -> Turbomod P-3A

Both with Foobar2000 as player.

They are almost identical.  I believe the SRC resampler (2) might be a bit better.  Plucked Cello sounds a bit more "woody" with SRC.  Cymbols are smooth and creamy with both, good tail-off.  A little more room reflection with (2).  I had to listen hard to tell the differences.  My wife will be home soon and I will get her  opinion.  I have the P-1A running off battery.

Wifes opinion:  Some tracks sound better with one and some with the other.  I found that many tracks with cymbols did not sound live with (1) and the dynamics in busy jazz tracks were not as interesting with (1) as with (2), however vocals seem to be more live with (1).

Steve N.

Jeff Wong

« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2005, 02:42 am »
If I'm using the I2S output from a DDS Pro transport to P-1A and I2S to the P-3A, is there still a benefit to adding the SuperTurboclock3, or is it only beneficial when using S/PDIF and AES/EBU?

I'm currently using an EA modded P-3A in my headphone system. The mod was done in July of 2003. Have you made significant changes to the mod since? Honestly, I found the unit fatiguing and seemingly stripped of harmonics as compared to a customised non-standard MW II P-3A I'm using in my main rig. Admittedly, the background is blacker on the EA unit, but something in the rhythm is gone. I was wondering if my EA P-3A needs a tune up, as I seem to be in the minority of people not enjoying the unit more than other modded ones.

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2005, 03:35 am »
Quote from: Jeff Wong
If I'm using the I2S output from a DDS Pro transport to P-1A and I2S to the P-3A, is there still a benefit to adding the SuperTurboclock3, or is it only beneficial when using S/PDIF and AES/EBU?

I'm currently using an EA modded P-3A in my headphone system. The mod was done in July of 2003. Have you made significant changes to the mod since? Honestly, I found the unit fatiguing and seemingly stripped of harmonics as compared to a customised non-standard MW II P-3A I'm using in my main rig. Admittedly, the ...

Since the P-1A upsamples, the internal clock is used, so changing this to a Superclock makes a big improvement, no matter which input you use.  The other mods are beneficial as well as they reduce noise and improve power quality.  The battery supply is the best quality.

The P-3A mod has gone through 7 revisions since 2003.  It is a LOT better now.  See the review in Positive-Feedback:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue19/perpetualp3a.htm