The SP3 & Ref 1 package arrives!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
The SP3 & Ref 1 package arrives!
« on: 3 Aug 2005, 11:17 pm »
Thanks to the good guys at AV123 for fast shipping and excellent service before the sale.  It's been a pleasure dealing with you guys.

I haven't had a chance to do much but a quick listen, but I'm very impressed with the Melody amp.  The little guy has a shocking amount of grunt- I have to keep reminding myself it's "only" capable of 38 Watts. 8)   I'm getting bass from my MA's that makes me think the sub is turned on sometimes.  And the thing is simply drop-dead gorgeous.  

So far I haven't warmed up to the Ref 1's, though.  They seem brittle and forward to me, and very bright.  Of course, they have no break in and I haven't played much with placement, so take this FWIW.  The finish is certainly incredible, however.  They're among the most striking speakers I've ever seen.

I'll post my impressions as I have more time to tinker with them. :D

Greg Marberry

• http://www.av123.com
Re: The SP3 & Ref 1 package arrives!
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2005, 07:55 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Thanks to the good guys at AV123 for fast shipping and excellent service before the sale.  It's been a pleasure dealing with you guys.

I haven't had a chance to do much but a quick listen, but I'm very impressed with the Melody amp.  The little guy has a shocking amount of grunt- I have to keep reminding myself it's "only" capable of 38 Watts. 8)   I'm getting bass from my MA's that makes me think the sub is turned on sometimes.  And the thing is simply drop-dead gorgeous.  

So far I haven't warmed up ...

Hey Rob,

Thanks for your initial impressions.  I look forward to reading more as you have more time to listen.

Definitely let the Refs break in a bit.  The first time I heard the Ref I, I thought they were pretty bright too.  They do mellow out after about 100-150 hrs of use.  The detail and dynamics that these are capable of for their size is pretty amazing, IMO.   :)

Enjoy!