Woodworking tools for building speakers?

PSP

many thanks, let's not quit!
« Reply #20 on: 22 Sep 2005, 05:03 pm »
Thank you all for the excellent advice.  You have all been a great help to me, my (eventual) speakers, and my fingers, nose, and other body parts I want to hang onto.

More thoughts, opinions, and advice are extremely welcome.

Peter

johngalt47

« Reply #21 on: 16 Oct 2005, 09:24 pm »
Also, it doesn't pay to buy cheap tools. I bought the el cheapo Delta table saw and it is just about worthless. The blade has so much play in it that cutting consistently is near impossible.

JoshK

« Reply #22 on: 16 Oct 2005, 09:37 pm »
Not really much to add but to gloat a little...  :oops:

I just bought a gammet of tools off craiglist.com.  6" Planer, Contractor table saw, router table insert for TS, 15" floor standing drill press, Air filtration system, Oscill. Spindle Sander.  Just watch out or the bug might hit you too!  

Think that audiophiles are bad in their obsession?  Try browsing woodnet.net, at least we aren't alone in being obsessive.  

Others are right, don't bother wasting your time and money on inexpensive tools, hold off until you can buy a tool worth something and more than what you'll need because you'll grow into it instead of outgrowing it.  Cheaper in the end.

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #23 on: 16 Oct 2005, 11:32 pm »
Think that audiophiles are bad in their obsession? Try browsing woodnet.net, at least we aren't alone in being obsessive.

Yep, true.  There are indeed many way's to spend money.  Hopefully these expenditures are well used and appreciated.

As a kid I always wanted a Porsche 911.  At my 10th wedding anniversary I finally drove a Porsche.  I had permission from my wife, but decided... this was a very unwise purchase.  Sure, it drove nice, but... that's a whole lotta' $$$$.  For me, this would be a very unwise purchase.  Maybe someday I'll race cars recreationally with an older Porsche, but I must be realistic - I don't drive that well.  I also don't truly love driving fast.  Hence, for me, the Porsche was very unwise.

However, hifi is a totally different matter for me.  I really do appreciate this.

Tools...

I purchase relatively cheap tools initially.  After breaking them from over-use or excessive labor, I'll buy a better tool.  This seems wise.  I sure do apprecaite my better tools.  And better tools certainly last longer.  I still have a few cheap tools from the initial purchase.

Dave

JoshK

« Reply #24 on: 17 Oct 2005, 12:21 am »
I have some cheap tools that work very fine for there purpose.  For instance, I have a bunch of Ryobi tools.  They are inexpensive (hence cheap) and yet they hold up well for their price point.  So for a Sawzall, belt sander, angle grinder and a Grizzly portable planer, they work well.  I use them from time to time and they are very handy but I don't use them all the time so I don't need more.  

For things like table saw, which you are likely to use over and over if you use it at all, you might as well invest in a decent one for starters.

JoshK

« Reply #25 on: 17 Oct 2005, 12:38 am »
FWIW, Dave, you and I have a lot in common.  I too have always loved a Porsche 911 (is there any other kind of Porsche?).  I have always wanted one and got to drive one a time or two when I was a valet but never on a track or on open road.

However, I am seriously frugal when it comes to cars.  I think they are one of America's worst wastes of money 9 times out of 10.  The largest drain financially for the littlest return. Horrible invest, etc, etc.  Except that I can appreciate a nice care, although I don't think I could get myself to spend the dough unless I was filthy rich, which isn't going to happen.

I am actually a decent driver, fairly natural for me, one of the few natural athletic abilities I have besides my hobbies of course.  :wink:   I am still too practical when it comes to cars, but I would rather have an off road excess than an on road excess.

I did use to have an obsession about my cars until I move to NYC, and NYC broke me of it.  West Coasters can't understand, because they haven't live it.  I use to be that West Coasters, now I'd rather sit on a bus and read my paper on the way to work and not spend money on something some poor parker/driver is just going to dent when parking next to you.

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #26 on: 17 Oct 2005, 01:07 am »
However, I am seriously frugal when it comes to cars. I think they are one of America's worst wastes of money 9 times out of 10.

I was very frugal, but my wife had a very serious dislike of my 1972 Ford 1/2 ton.  This truck was "money in the bank".  It was extremely cheap to own & operate.  It was ugly, but had a great heater.  It had headers and dual exhauast so the neighbors always knew when I worked the night-shift  :lol:   Yep, it was a great truck.

Several years ago I had a 1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R.  It was a wonderful car to drive, and I considered using it for SCCA cone racing.  A friend had a stripped 1991 model with bigger breaks and a few engine tweaks.  He gave me a ride on the course.

The ride from the inside of the car was amazing.  Holy buckets!  I never thought a car/drive could do that.  It was so quick and fast.  I decided at this point that I could never drive that good.  Sure, practice might help, but I had a difficult time just riding... yikes.  So... Dave will likely use very mundane cars for many years.  

And... for 3 months of a good sports-car payment $$, I have a very wonderful modifed Golden Tube SE40SE.  I find this much more enjoyable.

Dave