Audio Experience / YS-Audio tubed preamps

MT POCKETS

« on: 1 Aug 2005, 02:52 pm »
Hi, I came across these tubed preamps on Audiogon. Anyone happen to own one, I would appreciate any info such as what you have compaired them to and general impressions. Thanks

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2005, 03:09 pm »
I owned their concerto phono stage and it was darn good IMO.  really good for the small clams.   Never heard the preamp though.

FredT300B

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2005, 01:43 am »
I have the Audio Experience Symphonies +, which isn't a bad preamp at all, but I believe there are better values out there. One example is the Audio Mirror preamp line. Vlad, the Audio Mirror head guy brought one of his phono/line preamps to a Houston Audio Society meeting, and during the next week two members ordered them. He also offers a line only preamp. They have remote volume controls, which the AE preamps do not, and inside are Auricaps and oil caps in the signal path, while the AE preamps use Wimas. Also, if there's a problem the manufacturer is in the US. The actual selling prices for Audio Mirror products are much lower than the listed prices. The web page is at

http://www.audiomirror.com/

A current Audiogon sale can be seen at

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1125810361

I'm not affilliated with Audio Mirror but I am a friend of Vlad and have ordered a pair of his SET monoblock amps.

Agisthos

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2005, 01:16 pm »
That is an amazing looking preamp for $700. And it comes with a remote. Please give us a review of it and tell us what you think in detail!!

FredT300B

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2005, 02:25 pm »
Quote from: Agisthos
That is an amazing looking preamp for $700. And it comes with a remote. Please give us a review of it and tell us what you think in detail!!

I have only heard the phono/line preamp and not the line only, which is a completely different product, and I heard the phono/line preamp at an audio meeting with about 25 others present, so it wasn't possible to do a valid assessment. But a friend who has a system with very high end components told me he was favorably impressed by the phono/line model after he borrowed one and tried it in his personal system. Sorry I can't give you any information based on a personal evaluation.