Slim Devices Squeezebox 2 mods

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #20 on: 1 Aug 2005, 09:25 pm »
Quote from: MttBsh
Vinnie,

In your view, does the modded SB2, when used as a CD player, achieve the level of CD playback you hoped to offer with the battery powered player you had on the drawing board? If so, the SB2 really is the best of both worlds.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Using EAC to rip and FLAC (lossless compression), I am getting sound quality from my modded SB2 that is superior to my battery powered CD player prototype!  This is the reason why I have put the battery CD transport on the back-burner, and will be using the modded SB2 at the RMAF...

To top it off, I'm using the modded analog output of the SB2 to feed directly into my Clari-T-Amp (no volume control on the Clari-T)...the volume is controlled digitally before the burr-brown dac inside the SB2.  Slim Devices has done a great job with it because it sounds fantastic, and the signal path is kept very clean.  There are 40 steps of volume, and with a max of 3V output, there is plenty of juice.

No volume control in the signal path is the best volume control  :P

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
SB2 info page
« Reply #21 on: 2 Aug 2005, 01:08 am »
All,

I have started a SB2 general info page here:

http://www.redwineaudio.com/SB2_General_Info.html

I will try my best to add more info as I find it and determine it to be helpful.

Regards,

Boybees

« Reply #22 on: 4 Aug 2005, 09:34 pm »
Vinnie, my SB2 arrives tomorrow, and knowing me, it won't be too long before I send it your way. A couple of quick questions:

1. Is there away to bypass the battery and run it off AC power? The reason I ask is that I want the missus to be able to use it too, and I know she'll forget to turn it off to charge the battery. I want to reserve battery operation for my own critical listening  8)

2. Have you considered adding clock mods? Seems like a Superclock or Tent Labs clock would only enhance what you are offering now.

thanks, Dave

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 5 Aug 2005, 01:01 am »
Quote from: Boybees
Vinnie, my SB2 arrives tomorrow, and knowing me, it won't be too long before I send it your way. A couple of quick questions:

1. Is there away to bypass the battery and run it off AC power? The reason I ask is that I want the missus to be able to use it too, and I know she'll forget to turn it off to charge the battery. I want to reserve battery operation for my own critical listening  8)

2. Have you considered adding clock mods? Seems like a Superclock or Tent Labs clock would only enhance what you are offering now.

thanks, Dave

Hi Boybees,

Welcome to the Red Wine Circle!

I guess I can use a 5V and 12V wallwort and terminate them to a mating connector that will connect to the modded SB2.  You already have the stock 5V supply, so all that would be needed is a cheap 12V wall wort supply (I'll have to measure the current draw on the 12V rail.  My guess is that it is fairly low...).  The wall wort power would be used for "wifey mode," not audiophile mode  :wink:

Email me to discuss...

Thanks,

Bingenito

« Reply #24 on: 5 Aug 2005, 01:26 am »
I was wondering about having AC and battery as well but because with 500 GB of music I would be playing around the clock. It would be great to have the battery when you plan to sit down and focus on the music.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #25 on: 5 Aug 2005, 10:28 am »
With internet streaming (radio) I forsee the SB being on most of the day.  That's why I first asked about doubling the batteries if they'll take overnight to recharge.  This idea of switching between AC/DC is even better as no concerns regarding forgetting to turn it off during casual listening.

Another thought, perhaps a poor one: Could the unit first run battery and then switch to AC automatically if it "senses" when the battery is getting too low?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #26 on: 5 Aug 2005, 01:11 pm »
Quote from: JLM
With internet streaming (radio) I forsee the SB being on most of the day.  That's why I first asked about doubling the batteries if they'll take overnight to recharge.  This idea of switching between AC/DC is even better as no concerns regarding forgetting to turn it off during casual listening.

Another thought, perhaps a poor one: Could the unit first run battery and then switch to AC automatically if it "senses" when the battery is getting too low?

Hi JLM,

I believe the simplest, and most cost effective approach is for me to find a dual-output ac-dc power supply that I can attach a mating connector to feed the modded SB2's plug.  It would just be a matter of swapping the power supplies for casual listening.  

Actually, if I find a decent linear-regulated supply, it will still be a nice improvement over the stock supply!   :P
Keep in mind that with the modded SB2, I am now feeding it with both 5V and 12V.  This eliminates the stock 5V switcher, and the internal 14V switcher, so it is all good!

I'll see what I can find...

JoshK

« Reply #27 on: 5 Aug 2005, 01:56 pm »
linear regulated supplies are pretty easy to come by and then can be easily modded most of the times.  This is what Aberdeen is doing with their TACT PSU upgrades.  For 5v and 12v supplies externally I think a 5 pin XLR would be a slick solution.