upgrade the power supply?

ranmart

« on: 11 Apr 2003, 05:50 pm »
I have a sony amp and sony sacd player that both have power cords built right in to the machine.Is it easy to upgrade the power supply so the power cords can be upgraded.Thanks

randytsuch

« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2003, 07:32 pm »
Hi,
You would need to install an IEC socket on your Sony's to be able to play with PC's.

Check out this site,
http://www.downinfrontht.com/
Click on DIY, then IEC socket installation.
There are instructions for adding an IEC socket to Toshiba DVD player, but you should be able to adapt it to your Sony's.
It will void you warranty.

Randy

CE

Adding an IEC
« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2003, 01:41 pm »
So by making another connection point in the ckt, this IMPOVES it's functionality? A hard wired eliminates teh possible oxidation, loose fittings?  How does a different power cord, improve the sound of a CD player?  Is the line cord's ampacity lower than what is needed for this machine?  CDP take say about 1A or less?  So you would like put maybe a 20 A cable like a 12ga?  Hmmmmm, now that sounds like electrical engieering at it's whackiest!!! do you also put 18" tires on 15" rims for your car?

markC

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2003, 02:01 pm »
CE, what is your problem? Do you have nothing to do? Why don't you listen to your music and stop poking a stick into everyone's eye who is looking for advice and other peoples experiences and just let them enjoy their hobby. If someone has an opinion, thats great, but you are sharing far more than just your opinion. Enough already!

CE

Trying to get to the TRUTH
« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2003, 02:13 pm »
Does questioning claims of absurdity? Bother you?  do you enjoy seeing people waste dollars on total nonsense?  Again, since this is audio, reality not needed? No other hobby is so loaded with nonsense than audio.  I DO enjoy my music, BIG TIME, Neil young on now...but it is only being played on ZIP cord AC lines, how can I enjoy it?

cjr888

Re: Trying to get to the TRUTH
« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2003, 04:20 pm »
Quote from: CE
Re: Trying to get to the TRUTH

CE: Thanks for the clarification.  I was totally off base.  I thought you just liked to be a royal pain in the neck in any thread you could.  Phew.

Randy: Thanks for the link.  Was interesting to see TV tweaks on that page...and nice pictures.

CE

You are excused...........
« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2003, 04:30 pm »
NOW, go freeze a wall outlet.

Ferdi

« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2003, 04:31 pm »
CE, your comments help no one.

Those that believe they are getting an improvement by fiddling with their equipment will do so and enjoy it.

Those that don't believe so won't. They will be happy with the level of quality they have or invest in further equipment/rooms/music.

Those that are on the fence will try and test and listen. They may or may not notice any improvement but at least they have experienced before and after. They learn something, one way or the other.

What is true is that many here get considerable pleasure from talking/posting on their audio/music/equipment experiences and activities. That is what Audiocircle is supposed to be: a circle of friends enjoying a common hobby. Your belief that cables are cables and can't possibly make a difference is well noted in the past 50 or so posts.

Your posting style is disrespectful of people and their opinions, do something about it.

Jay S

« Reply #8 on: 12 Apr 2003, 05:29 pm »
Quote from: Ferdi
CE, your comments help no one.

Your posting style is disrespectful of people and their opinions, do something about it.

I totally agree.  Healthy scepticism is fine.  But what is really helpful is helping people to understand.  Ridiculing them is offensive and not at all helpful.  

You may be terrific in person, but so far on audiocircle you have not been close.  

I do think you have a lot that you could offer.  AVA equipment is very well regarded and not many people here on AC have experience with it.  You've probably been in audio for some time and may have a technical background.  Please share.

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 12 Apr 2003, 07:01 pm »
CE totally and utterly pissed off everyone at AA, now he is spreading his crap around in here.  I don't care how cool he thinks he is, this kind of behavior is uncalled for.

Rocket

« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2003, 12:13 am »
hello ce,

actually i do remember reading ce's posts at audio asylum he was very negative.

perhaps he can return to audio asylum and spread his negativity there.

regards

rod

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #11 on: 13 Apr 2003, 06:46 pm »
Randytsuch, your DIY link suggest that a ground wire be connected from the components chassis to the IEC ground. Now why would you want to add a ground to a digital component that wasn`t manufactured to have one? Digital receivers, like the Yamaha HTR-5490 that has a standard cord as compared to it`s RX-V1300, have an IEC terminal with 2 prongs and no ground. I have to question the wisdom of adding a ground to the component`s circuitry that wasn`t designed to have one. Regards, Robin