Dual Mono Teacs

SRO

Dual Mono Teacs
« on: 10 Jul 2005, 03:04 pm »
Has anyone taken two (2) Teacs, modded them to mono amps (using the center channel maybe) and run them through a passive pre like the Puri-T?  I've got 2 Teacs and was going to get one modded but if dual monos would be better maybe both?  Any input is appreciated.

mcgsxr

Dual Mono Teacs
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2005, 04:04 pm »
Are you asking if anyone has had two Red Wine Teacs in this configuration, or just any two Teacs?

I have used passive pre, SS pre, and tubed pre.  I like the tubed pre best - hotrod Hagerman Clarinet.

I ran two stock Teacs passively biamping my old speakers (Totem Rokks) but found that a modded single Teac was better - please note, my modded Teac is not a Red Wine DC unit, but a modded unit that still uses AC.

I actually had it modded to use each amp board as a single channel amp, and like it - I have subsequently read that some don't necessarily think this is the way to go, but it works well for me.

I found that the biggest changes with the modded units, are the smoothness of the treble, the increase in bass control, all the while retaining the clarity of the stock unit.

Good luck,

SRO

Dual Mono Teacs
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2005, 10:26 pm »
Actually I will have Vinnie modify both units if the mod cost for the perfomance/sound of two mono amps can be justified versus one stereo amp.  I will consider a tube pre as I'll be comparing these units to a Primaluna Prologue 2.  Just trying to find out if anyone has two Red Wine modified Teacs running as monos and how they sound.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Dual Mono Teacs
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2005, 03:07 am »
Quote from: SRO
Actually I will have Vinnie modify both units if the mod cost for the perfomance/sound of two mono amps can be justified versus one stereo amp.  I will consider a tube pre as I'll be comparing these units to a Primaluna Prologue 2.  Just trying to find out if anyone has two Red Wine modified Teacs running as monos and how they sound.

Hi SRO,

Welcome to AudioCircle!  

I have a customer who sent me two Teacs that I modded each as monoblocks...I modded them to the gills:

Black Gates, V-Caps, top of the line WBT RCAs and Binding Posts, DACT mono stepped attenuators, etc.  I need to post some pics...

I was very impressed with what I heard, but didn't have them here long enough to let them break-in and do some serious comparisons.  

The best bang-for-the-buck is the standard Red Wine Teac battery mod.  Yes, there are noticeable improvements in going with monoblocks (as with the Clari-T), but the results are probably not quite twice as good.  Still, for the price, I have no doubt that the battery Teac monoblocks are seriously competitive with some much more expensive gear!   :P

Regards,

SRO

Dual Mono Teacs
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2005, 02:29 am »
Thanks for responding!  The two Teacs were shipped to me today so I should have them by next week.  I like the sounds of a mono amp solution with a passive pre.  I'll contact you when they arrive to discuss the best solution to meet my needs.