Omega Super 3's in a 10x10 room?

YoungAudiophile

« on: 3 Jul 2005, 10:14 am »
Im using a small 10x10 non dedicated room and was wondering if the little Omega's are suited for such an enviroment. My current speakers are PSB Stratus Mini's. Overall they are a musical speaker, but I find their aluminum tweeter fatiguing. Also, I can hear when the crossover takes over. This makes the sound harsh and smeared. They are also terrible at low level listening- you have to crank them to open up. Im hoping a single driver speaker will eliminate most, if not all of these problems. My only concern is that the speakers must be pretty close to walls. They must also have SOME bass, as i listen to a lot of rock, rap and other bass heavy music. I dont want to bother integrating a sub , so please keep this in mind. Anyways, has anyone heard both of these speakers? And will they do the things I ask of them in the enviroment i mentioned?

maxwalrath

« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2005, 10:36 am »
dup post

maxwalrath

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2005, 10:37 am »
My room is just about that size and I like the same types of music. The Super 3R's fill the room with sound very nicely. The bass is a little bit light, but that's too be expected with a small driver. Actually, it isn't really light, it just doesn't go down as far as some speakers. What it plays it plays well.

The bass does sound good though, I got it to tighten up a little a few days ago by changing a few things. Switching in and out speaker cables seemed to get the bass to go down another few htz, as did putting more gear on herbies tenderfeet.

I would want a sub one day, but it's not number one on my list which is suprising with the music I listen to. I'm definitely enjoying them.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2005, 12:22 pm »
A 10 ft by 10 ft room is a nightmare.  Nearfield listening is a fact of life there and the bass boominess issues must be addressed.  IMO lack of crossover in nearfield situations is one of the often under appreciated advantages of single driver speakers.  Any room can benefit from treatments and $500 - 2000 is about what it would take to get the bass issues under control (Eighth Nerve or RealTraps corner treatments are recommended).  Without treatments you either have to put up with bass boom or give up on bass altogether.  

The Super 3 is a very nice speaker and should address the high frequency harshness and crossover issues to raise.  Louis specifically wanted to address rooms like yours.  Keep in mind that Fostex drivers seem to have an adversion to traditional solid state (tubes, gainclones, and digital do very well).  Don't know what amp you've planning to use.

The Super 3 sounds faster than the Grande 6 or 8 speakers and would mate to a sub better.  It has a leaner, less warm/syrupy sound than the Grandes.  So the Super 3 would be the obvious choice of these three in your case.  Don't know how it would compare to the newer Omega offerings in your room, but you can't make a mistake dealing with Louis.

maxwalrath

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2005, 11:53 pm »
forgot...I do have 8th nerve stuff up. I've never heard the Omegas in my room without the treatments.

YoungAudiophile

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2005, 02:03 am »
Hey, thanks for the replies guys.

To be honest, the bass isn't the problem in my room.  In fact the bass sounds great. Im not sure why everyone says the bass should sound crappy in my small room- it doesnt. Its more of the mids and highs that are bouncing off the walls and other objects in my room. Im using some DIY wall panels in my room and this helps a lot.

My PSB's also have a syrupy sound, and to tell you the truth I love it! It makes everything flow together better, and to me its more musical than a anayltical speakers, which I cant stand. But thats's not to say id prefer a faster, cleaner sound. It's hard to say which one id prefer actually since I dont have much experiance with tons of different speakers.

btw ill be using a Cambrdige 40 watt integrated amp, but I do want to try tubes. Maybe an SET or low powered integrated amp will be in my future.

Does anyone have experiance with Audio Note speakers? The AX-Two is the only other speaker im considering right now.

In the end theres too many variables and trade offs and I might just keep my current speakers untill I get a bigger room and/or budget.

JLM

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2005, 11:05 am »
I really like Louis and all of his speakers I've heard, but....

I'm not sure these are the speakers for you:

1.  Omega speakers use Fostex drivers that aren't really friendly with solid state amps.

2.  I'd avoid the Super 3s if you like syrup, they just aren't warm/fuzzy speakers.

3.  If you want real bass (60 Hz and below), don't look at standmounted speakers.

I recommend listening to a variety of speakers to determine just what you're after.

YoungAudiophile

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2005, 11:05 am »
Quote from: JLM
I really like Louis and all of his speakers I've heard, but....

I'm not sure these are the speakers for you:

1.  Omega speakers use Fostex drivers that aren't really friendly with solid state amps.

2.  I'd avoid the Super 3s if you like syrup, they just aren't warm/fuzzy speakers.

3.  If you want real bass (60 Hz and below), don't look at standmounted speakers.

I recommend listening to a variety of speakers to determine just what you're after.

Are you the same JLM from Audio Asylum?

audio

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2005, 10:54 pm »
I was happy with the bass of the TS6R in a 10x10. When I switched to the TS3R, I didn't realize how much bass I'd be loosing. Room treatments evened out the sound by reducing the high frequencies, but overall I preferred the TS6R.

Shortly after purchasing the TS3R, the Super 3 came out. I have not heard it, and although it has more bass, I've realized that a smaller driver=smaller sound.

So, I'm waiting for the new 8 inch hemp to come out.

JLM

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2005, 01:09 am »
I don't do much AA, but use the same handle everywhere.

The Super 3 has a much fuller midbass than the TS3, much closer to the Grande 6.

Louis O

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jul 2005, 12:44 am »
Hi YoungAudiophile,

Thanks for your post and details about your room. The replies are very good and with your room and music I would go with the Minuets. They really like most SS amps and have a great amount of bass. Also the drivers combine for 8mm xmax. A lot of throw will be better with bass heavy music. The speakers are rear ported, but I can make a custom pair with front ports.

The sound is more laid back than the Fostex based speakers, but retain the single driver flavor. The size of the cabinet is the same as the Super 3s with the drivers mounted on the narrow side. I did try them out in the wide cabinet style, but the rear wall of the cabinet was way to close for the drivers. The sound was really stuffed this way. The new Hemp finishes and style will be carries over to the Minuet and Mini Me.

Thanks again,
Louis

Hi maxwalrath,

8th Nerve stuff is really good and glad to hear the sub isn't #1 on the list. Cables make a pretty big difference.

Hi audio,

The Hemps are right around the corner. I have finished Compacts and all the sizes and styles are done. The Floortsnder is all done too. The sound is a lot like the Super 3s, but with more of everything. The dynamics and the HempTone are amazing. I really apologize about the long wait on these and I ran into a few snags, but all is ironed out.

Thanks again,
Louis