While I'm Deciding

Smitty

While I'm Deciding
« on: 2 Jul 2005, 01:20 pm »
My Omega Super 3/R's should  arrive any day (Thanks Louis!).  I want to get a Red Wine amp, and also the little Almarro to use with them. Until I decide what configuration of Red Wine to buy, and await first impressions of the Lotus, I have the  lengthy break in of the Super 3's. I want them fully broken in so I can truely hear the amp, and the changes in each component as they break in.

To do this, and so I can have the speakers breaking in while I'm at work, I ordered a Sonic Impact and Pyramid 13.8V 3A power supply. I figure that this will both facilitate the break in process, and also let me hear the wonderfull changes that come with the Red Wine.

My concern is that although I've seen this power supply recommended, I have also read of people frying boards with wall worts. I am hoping that the Pyramid is more regulated than the wall worts, and that it will be safe.  Any opinions before I hook it up?

tubesguy

While I'm Deciding
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jul 2005, 03:29 pm »
I've got that same combo here, and no problems whatsoever.  

I take it that you are breaking in with music.  If you have a tuner, you could also hasten the break-in by connecting the speaks out of phase, pointed right at each other, separated by a few inches, and with the tuner spitting out interstation noise.  Toss a blanket over the speaks, and you could leave this on all day while you're at work, or whatever, without bothering the neighbors. - Pat

Smitty

While I'm Deciding
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jul 2005, 03:52 pm »
Thanks Pat,
                  That is great news! I don't have a tuner yet, but  if I'm very carefull perhaps I could use the headphone out jack from a walkman to feed it. I also have some test CD's containing pink noise and such. I could always loop those tracks over, and over. I'm glad to hear that the Pyramid is working for you.