Five Worst Sci-Fi Movies of all time

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jul 2005, 04:02 am »
Quote from: Tweaker
As we are seeing, movies, like music is very much personal taste, but if a film class is required to appreciate a film then something is wrong.

In the Fifth Element's case, a SENSE OF  HUMOR would also work!  

Sheesh!  It doesn't make sense to take too seriously a movie that never took itself seriously from the first moments of the movie.  Anyone who thinks that movie was bad needs to watch it again.  And laugh this time.  

Aziz!! Light!!!

chadh

« Reply #21 on: 2 Jul 2005, 04:04 am »
Hmmm...two standouts in this category for me.  In fact, they probably make my all-time list of worst movies.  In reverse order...

2) The remake of "Planet of the Apes" - dreadful.  Truly, overwhelmingly, gutwrenchingly awful.

1)  Highlander 2.  I think that this movie was so terrible that they made another, third Highlander and marketed it as the sequel to the first, hoping that people would forget the second.  The plan might have worked, too, if Highlander 2 hadn't been so excruciatingly bad that it's horror is ingrained deeply in the souls of those like me who were unfortunate to live through it.  How bad was it?  It was so bad that Christopher Lambert's acting doesn't stand out as the worst thing in the movie.  If you have not seen this movie, do yourself a favour...DON'T.  If you're tempted, FORGET IT.  Try ritual self mutilation instead.  Poke out both your eyes, withdraw all your money from the bank and burn it, sell your speakers and buy Bose.  Do anything, but never EVER see this movie.

Chad

Carlman

« Reply #22 on: 2 Jul 2005, 04:15 am »
Quote from: John Ashman
As we are seeing, movies, like music is very much personal taste, but if a film class is required to appreciate a film then something is wrong.

In the Fifth Element's case, a SENSE OF  HUMOR would also work!  

Sheesh!  It doesn't make sense to take too seriously a movie that never took itself seriously from the first moments of the movie.  Anyone who thinks that movie was bad needs to watch it again.  And laugh this time.  

Aziz!! Light!!!

Part of my problem with sci-fi is that it's all sort of cheesy... .and makes fun of itself... because it's so improbable.  Most of them seem to say 'as-if!' in an obvious, like they're actually telling me it's unbelievable way... as if I didn't already know that.

I tend to laugh at all sci-fi.. even when it takes itself seriously it still seems like that's part of the gag.

I just got back from War of the Worlds... which definitely won't make it on my worst list.

BTW, I liked lawnmower man when it came out.. ;)  But, watching it again years later made me realize it was horrible.

John Ashman

« Reply #23 on: 2 Jul 2005, 04:16 am »
Speaking of which, it's not a Sci-fi movie, exactly, but if anyone ever is sitting up late and "Earth Angel" (as I recall) comes on, do NOT take the bait.  Yes, it may make you curious because of the trio of has-beens - Mark Hamill, Cindy Williams and Erik Estrada in ONE movie, but if you do, you'll be sorry, because, probably like "Plan 9 From Outer Space", you will get sucked in by the horribleness of it and will watch the whole thing, no matter HOW hard you try to shut it off.  It is the single worst movie I've ever seen and I've seen some bad movies.  But unlike the others, this was a train wreck that was so bad, you just couldn't stop.  Well, anyway, it almost makes Highlander 2 look like Schindler's List.

Tweaker

« Reply #24 on: 2 Jul 2005, 04:30 am »
I don't want to get hung up on the Fifth Element but I got on the official website because I wanted to remember what it was I didn't like about the movie. Been a while since I saw it and I just remember hating it and now I remember why. The Chris Tucker character. Ruby Rhod. Remove him, it, or whatever the heck he was from the movie and I think I would have enjoyed it.

chadh

« Reply #25 on: 2 Jul 2005, 04:33 am »
Quote from: John Ashman

Well, anyway, it almost makes Highlander 2 look like Schindler's List.

My God.  That's inhumane.  Aren't there laws against that sort of thing?

Chad

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 2 Jul 2005, 08:49 am »
I just got done watching Starship Troopers 2, and I can say emphatically that it's among the worst sci-fi films in history.  Maybe one of the worst films, period.

Upstateaudio

« Reply #27 on: 2 Jul 2005, 10:04 am »
Nobody is mentioning Battlefield Earth? Or is this movie so bad that it is not worth mentioning? :lol:  :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 2 Jul 2005, 10:06 am »
Quote from: Upstateaudio
Nobody is mentioning Battlefield Earth? Or is this movie so bad that it is not worth mentioning? :lol:  :lol:

I didn't dare to watch it.  I took it as an artical of faith that it would suck.  I mean, it stars John Travolta for God's sake! :o

PhilNYC

« Reply #29 on: 2 Jul 2005, 11:30 am »

I agree...a film should be enjoyable first, analyzed and appreciated for its filmmaking craft second.

My last comment about 5th Element...the reason why it fell short for me is because it never fully committed to being either a serious sci-fi movie or a tongue-in-cheek send-up...and it did IMHO a very poor job of trying to be both.

Another one for my "worst" list...Universal Soldier...

mcrespo71

« Reply #30 on: 2 Jul 2005, 03:01 pm »
Am I the only one that thought Star Trek V was terrible?  

Michael

Mathew_M

« Reply #31 on: 2 Jul 2005, 04:42 pm »
Star Trek 5 isn't as bad as people wish to make it out to be.  In my opinion it's more watchable than all the Next Generation films (well maybe not First Contact which is decent).   Overall it's not very good but I felt it came the closest out of all the Trek films of capturing the feel of the original tv show.  As we all know the original tv show could be pretty bad as well.  Again it's mostly about nostalgia for me.  Heck I even like Tron and The Black Hole.  You can't argue that these old science fiction films didn't have amazing scores.

ghersh

« Reply #32 on: 2 Jul 2005, 05:53 pm »
Quote from: rosconey
attack of the killer tomato's
plan 9 from outer space
the second king kong(jeff bridge's)
godzilla remake
mario bros

Oh, no, Plan 9 is so bad, it's really good, you know. Being so bad makes it a cult movie. I've heard Killer Tomates are of a same kind, but didn't have a chance to see that one yet.

John Ashman

« Reply #33 on: 2 Jul 2005, 06:08 pm »
All Star Treks that have odd numbers are horrible.  Ones with even numbers are acceptable.  VI was The Undiscovered Country which wasn't bad.  Then they had the miserable Generations.  Then First Contact was fine.  Then, what, there was crappy one about immortality?  And that one killed the Star Trek movie franchise once and for all.  Too bad because Star Trek X could have been good again!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 2 Jul 2005, 07:09 pm »
I thought all the Star Trek movies with the cheesey original cast were laughable.  But I liked most of the TNG flicks.

Mathew_M

« Reply #35 on: 2 Jul 2005, 07:17 pm »
Actually Nemesis broke the so called even-odd rule.  It was terrible.  They tried to snazz it up with a bunch of space battles but in the end it was nothing but recycled hash from just about every sci-fi film released over the past 20 years.

The Next Generation improved on a lot of the ideas originally planted from the original series.  However saying it's less cheesy?  Give me a break.  I don't consider myself a Trek fan anymore but I tried watching an episode of TNG awhile back on Spike and found it repulsive in it's cheessyness.   Especially the Troi and Wesley Crusher characters.

PhilNYC

« Reply #36 on: 2 Jul 2005, 07:57 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
I thought all the Star Trek movies with the cheesey original cast were laughable.  But I liked most of the TNG flicks.

I think the exception to this was Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan, which IMHO was fantastic.  III (Search for Spock) and IV (the one with the whales) were entertaining...the rest were IMHO like bad episodes...not the worst, but not all that interesting either.  For me, the first one was hugely disappointing given how long Trekkies waited for a movie to come out, which is why I listed it among the worst sci-fi movies...

John Ashman

« Reply #37 on: 2 Jul 2005, 08:22 pm »
Quote from: Mathew_M
Actually Nemesis broke the so called even-odd rule.  It was terrible.  

I completely forgot about that one!  There was a 10th one.  That's the one I never saw - I guess I just gave up after Insurrection.  I guess I'll have to NetFlix that one.  Just to see how badly it breaks the rule.  Well, IMO, it just can't suck.  There's never been a *great* Star Trek movie, though II and VIII probably were as close as it gets.

audioslave

5th Element
« Reply #38 on: 2 Jul 2005, 11:00 pm »
Lighten up guys....The Fifth Element rocked so gotta agree with Ashman on this one....guess I am a sucker for red-headed Milla Jovovich wrapped in bandages speaking in that sexy out of this world accent. 8)  The humour was pretty tongue in cheek and the soundtrack was great.

JoshK

« Reply #39 on: 15 Aug 2005, 08:37 pm »
Here's my all time worst Sci-Fi movie pick ever...

Alone in the Dark.

My wife and I watched that and am sad to say that we actually perserverred through the whole thing.  What a worthless POS film this was.  Do yourself a favor and skip over this one at the rentals.  Pew did it stink.  

This isn't even a questioniably lousy movie as there was zero redeeming factor at all.  Horrible stupid incoherent and unsupported plot.  Lousy acting!!!  Totally unbelieveable even within the confines of the film.  Just absolutely nothing to enjoy.