Anyone listen to Buddy Guy?

chadh

« Reply #20 on: 2 Jul 2005, 04:26 am »
Quote from: mojoman

If you haven't already, you should check out Otis Rush and Luther Allison too.

Otis Rush is just awesome.  I remember taking some friends to hear him in a little club in Chicago about seven years ago.  None of them listen to blues, but none of them thought for a second about leaving before they were certain he wasn't coming back, and each of them came out of there with a grin from ear to ear.

But I think Otis has an advantage:  he's a lefty.  I don't think I've ever heard a left handed guitarist I haven't liked.  Hendrix, Otis Rush, Albert King...even John Mayall...ummm...I'm sure there are some others...

Chad

RoadTripper

Howz the sound
« Reply #21 on: 12 Aug 2005, 04:47 am »
Anyone care to comment on the sound quality of this remastering? To date, I have heard zero remasterings that sound great, with the possible exception of some Mercury Living Presence CDs.

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
Re: Anyone listen to Buddy Guy?
« Reply #22 on: 12 Aug 2005, 09:11 pm »
Quote from: John Casler

Anyone else listen to this "GUY"?

John

You can add my vote on the Blues Singer disc

While a diff style, especially when he throws some jazz elements in, give Play The Blues For You - Melvin Taylor a listen

Thump553

« Reply #23 on: 13 Aug 2005, 12:44 pm »
Quote from: mgalusha
I've seen Buddy Guy twice and both shows were excellent. One of the shows he was opening for BB King along with Susan Tedeschi....

That must have been one heck of a show.  I saw Buddy Guy earlier this year and was pretty impressed.

If you get your hands on the documentary "Festival Train", one of its highlights is a young Buddy Guy blowing away audiences, when the headliners were the Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin and the Band.

mojoman

« Reply #24 on: 15 Aug 2005, 06:22 pm »
Quote from: Thump553

If you get your hands on the documentary "Festival Train", one of its highlights is a young Buddy Guy blowing away audiences, when the headliners were the Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin and the Band.

I think it's called The Festival Express and it is very much worth getting.

djbnh

« Reply #25 on: 18 Aug 2005, 12:25 pm »
It's nice to see a Buddy Guy thread, and I happen to love his varied album work, to include some acoustical work w/Junior Wells.

Also, I saw Buddy Guy live the evening of 9/11 (yes, that 9/11) in Manchester, NH, at the Singer Park (sub-optimal acoustics due to echoes coming off the park's large elevated sign - plus no planes flying on the horizon to or from the Manchester airport - still an eerie memory). BB King also was on the bill, yet it seemed that Buddy connected better with the crowd and actually had it amped the only time that evening, under what was tragically moribund circumstances. Talk about feelin' the blues...

JoshK

« Reply #26 on: 18 Aug 2005, 02:01 pm »
I saw Buddy Guy once in Portland Oregon.  Great show.